Fix for doubles band bolt - anybody see a problem with this?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AbyssalPlains

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
The bolt on my upper tank bands was sticking out past the thumbwheel when assembled with wing and backplate. The bolt didn't stick out past the groove in the backplate and didn't cut into my drysuit (I think), but I just didn't like it. I thought it'll just be a matter of time until the overhanging threads snag a fold of my drysuit and rip a hole.

So put additional washers under the bolt head to make it shorter on the other side (see attached photo).

Is this asking for trouble of any kind, like compromising stability of the setup?

Attachments

• Collage.jpg
    Collage.jpg
    302 KB · Views: 109
Good idea, I've had a bolt rip a chunk out of a basically brand new wetsuit, didn't leave me very happy. I think your solution should be fine as long as the bolts are kept snug. It's a bolt, not rocket science... :)

No problem at all, just check the tightness of the nut after a few dives, to make sure the extra washers haven't settled and compressed.

Not a silly thing to worry about . . . I fell off a dive boat in Florida, and as my tanks shifted sideways on my back during the fall, one of the bolts caught my suit and ripped an inch-long hole in it.

I would think the washers would be fine, so long as you monitor things to make sure they remain tight.

If it were me, I would cut the bolt down and go down to 1 washer.

When you cut down the bolt, make sure you have a nut on the bolt so you can chase
the threads after cutting. I would also ground down the end of the bolt after cutting off so the edges were not sharp.

Jim Breslin

A few extra washers is fine. More than 3 and I would just cut the bolt.

When you cut down the bolt, make sure you have a nut on the bolt so you can chase
the threads after cutting. I would also ground down the end of the bolt after cutting off so the edges were not sharp.

Jim Breslin

+ 1 to these responses.

After loosing a chunk of my wetsuit, I put the silly back plate pad back on. Even if the bolt is short enough, the suit still manages sometimes to hang up on the ears of the wingnut (or thumbwheel). If you leave the two bottom screws of the pad out, both tank bolts/nuts are easy to get to but covered during use.

Very excellent, your washer sandwich ain't ever goin no where

All thread is great, if you want to use the same set, of doubles
and bands with different rigs if the extra couple of nuts on the
back don't bother anyone, and you can also bolt stuff on there

I just haven't figured what to bolt on there a skid pan for cave

hc-902-b351000wingnut.jpg

Put your knobs and nuts to the grind stone.

Jim Breslin

Not that this is requires anywhere near maximum, but it usually works out that a UNC (Unified National Course in the US) bolt requires at least two full threads past the end of a standard nut to achieve the rated load. The counterbore on the Delran nuts in the OP’s photo accommodate that without projecting outside the plastic.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom