FIX housings no more??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jd950

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I was looking at the website for uwdigitalcamera in Japan and noticed that they have for sale a housing that appears for all the world like a "Fix" housing for the S95, but it is listed as a RecSea (Seatool) brand and in the enlarged pictures it does indeed have a RecSea logo on it.

They also show the Fix housing for the S90 as discontinued and no Fix S95 housing.

I gather from this that DIV, the company in japan that actually makes the Fix housings will now be selling them under the RecSea brand, or has Seatool actually going to make these now?

Just wondering.

Interesting. I was hoping to buy a FIX housing for my new S95. I do see S90 FIX housings still available, at least at my LDS.

My Local dealer told me he had only one FIX S90 housing left and that it was the last one he was going to have available as Fisheye was discontinuing them.

Maybe getting ready to release the FIX S95.

Upon my info, there will be Fix housings for G95 and G12 as well. Just wait for DEMA.

If so, then I guess the housing will be available from RecSea and Fix. No harm in that. The RecSea "version" is available now for those in need.

I don't see any point in starting rumors.

Google Translate

FIX is still here, they, whoever they (FIX) are, have had a relationship of some sort for some time now with SeaTool, RecSea and Fisheye, or perhaps they are all one in the same like GM. On the link above you cans see direct mention/link of at least one RecSea branded product and Fisheye products. I think it depends in part where the product is sold, the housings sold in North America I bet will bear the FIX brand.

N

Well, one could argue that any discussion of products that may soon be available or discontinued is starting rumors. But such is the grist upon which the mill called internet forums turns on. Few of us who post here can say we have never repeated or discussed a rumor.

I actually asked a question, based upon the fact that a Recsea housing was available and looks just like the Fix housing, and the Fix housing is not available or even listed on the Fix website. I did not pretend to know the answer.

There is nothing wrong with discussing and speculating about upcoming product releases and discontinuances. That happens all the time with dive computers, cameras, ports, lenses, etc. I also doubt anyone really cares whether their housing says RecSea or Fix on it. It may well be that housings imported to the U.S. retail market will bear the name Fix, and RecSea is for elsewhere, but for now that is just a rumor. :wink: In fact, the availability of the RecSea housing should be pleasant news to those who were waiting to buy an S95 until they knew there would be such a housing and those anxious to house their camera in this type of housing.

In any event, I was not trying to start any sort of fight. The bottom line is there will continue to be a very nice housing available for a very capable compact camera. That is a win for everyone.

Updated information
RecSea S95 housing for Canon S95
Now available!! (6,Oct)

Attachments

• S95f.jpg
    S95f.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
I think it is the title of the thread, "FIX housings no more??" that most people will only pass on that FIX is gone without bothering to actually read the threads, point of fact, you have no reason to say that, that being, "FIX housings (are) no more" as it based on nothing. That is what I am saying. N

Okay, I guess if someone ignores the question marks in the title and the "Just wondering" comment in my post, they might assume I was making a statement instead of posing a question. And I suppose they could then state it as proven fact for all the world to hear and thereby cause Fisheye Fix sales to slump and drive them into bankruptcy and perhaps even cause the world to tilt on its axis. But if so, then I am less to blame than their elementary school teacher who failed to properly teach them the significance of punctuation.

On the other hand, it is not based on "nothing". The Fix site lists no housings for current compact cameras, and no information about upcoming models. I already know Fix is not the actual manufacturer of the housings they have sold. Canon, Ike and RecSea already have housings on the market for the S95. Those who sell the Fix housings say the S90 models are discontinued and either unavailable or the retailer is down to their last stock. Most product manufacturers would not allow competing brands to be on the market without at least announcing an upcoming model and most housings are announced well in advance of their actual availability. Drawing the inference from these things that that there may be no Fix branded housing for the S95 is not unreasonable.

Perhaps new housings will appear from Fix at DEMA or before. I don't know and don't claim to know. I have nothing against the company, but I also don't rep for them and don't really care a whole lot if they offer a housing or not. If I needed one I would just get the RecSea, or if the Fix name was so important, I would wait and see what happens. I was just discussing something I found interesting, which was the availability of a RecSea housing that looks like the Fix.

If someone is really curious, call reef Photo, Backscatter, UWdigitalcamera, etc. Those folks know much more about the underwater camera housing market than I do.

As I said, I wasn't looking to start any sort of fight by talking about this.

Seinfeld had a show about nothing, it was a big hit, maybe this thread about nothing can run as long as we both banter about the unknown suppositions extrapolated from thin air by the absence of mention of a new product on a web page. I don't care either, it is not worth fighting over and until there is some reason to believe a company is "no more" such as Inon was said to be a few years ago, I see no further reason to discuss anything. What will be will be and in due course it will be revealed.

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom