FIX housings no more??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Often underwater housings from Japanese brands are made by subcontractors to the various brands. The precision molding and machining are demanding and specialized, requiring expensive capital investment to make, so the subcontractors with expertise and manufacturing capability get the business. The brands provide design, distribution, sales, marketing and support, but often not manufacturing. Note that the auto makers follow a similar model in relying on subcontractors to build sub assemblies.

What Fisheye FIX has been providing has been excellent design and fair distribution and support. I don't know who is really behind the RecSea brand, but SeaTool likes to have proprietary products so rebranding a FIX item would be consistent. That's what I think is going on. I don't think it implies anything about FIX. Whoever makes these had an offer to build for another brand and took it.

In case you had not noticed, we're in the most severe worldwide recession since the Great Depression of the 1930s. Luxury goods like underwater camera housings are usually hard hit in recessions. Expect to see a lot of brands consolidate, morph, or fall by the wayside as they respond to the business environment. I do suspect that FIX will continue as a brand because they have a good reputation and probably good profits on their expensive housings. Personal opinion only, worth about what you paid for it!

surfforlife: The only place I have seen them offered is uwdigitalcamera.com but as I am not looking for one, I haven't searched around. That link to them being in stock a couple posts back takes you to their page and you can use one of the converters to figure out the price in dollars. Looks like about $800.00.

You could also call one of the U.S. retailers like Backscatter or Reef and find out about stock, delivery time and price. I would think price will remain similar to what it was for the S90 housing one way or the other.

Slowhands: I think you covered it well. Fisheye also produces (or sells) some very popular focus lights and some other accessories. Between my son and I we have three of their focus lights. I doubt they will go away (and hope not) whether they are selling the housings or not.

Nemrod: Peace.

Just talked to UW Photo Pros about ordering a Fix S90 housing and they told me that the new Fix S95 housing is suppose to arrive mid November. The good news was that this housing is suppose to support both S95 and S90 Canon Cameras. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, but went ahead and ordered and guess if it doesn't come true will be a little let down. The store owner seemed sure about it and guaranteed it would work or full refund.

My SeaRec S95 (OEM FIX) housing is jetting it's way across the Pacific from Japan as I type this and I should have it in my hands early next week. Since I have both S90 and S95 cameras I will give a quick update on the fit of the S90 in the housing, as well as a quick review of the housing. Can't wait until I have it all underwater on Little Cayman in 2 weeks.

Just talked to UW Photo Pros about ordering a Fix S90 housing and they told me that the new Fix S95 housing is suppose to arrive mid November. The good news was that this housing is suppose to support both S95 and S90 Canon Cameras. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, but went ahead and ordered and guess if it doesn't come true will be a little let down. The store owner seemed sure about it and guaranteed it would work or full refund.

Peace jd. :D

Yeah, that is what the Elvis told me. I had it wrong, about an adapter kit for the S90 housing to utilize both S90 and S95 but instead the new housing is going to accommodate both cameras, if true, that is great.

N

Last edited:
I do see they now have the S95 housing listed on the Fix site as "coming soon." I am pleased to see that.

Yes and if the "model" is as realistic as the one presented a year ago for the FIX90 (very realistic) then there are some significant changes in the works. The port is different, the front ring control is located differently, the controls on top are different. The port appears to be female threaded, this is a significant change if true.

Google Translate

What is more intriguing is that the RecSea version is different form the FIX model so this leads me to believe that cousin RecSea has their own Chevy vs Olds thing going on here. Same motor, different outsides. Hmmmm.

I will have to consult with Elvis on this matter, he lives in the old Quonset hut/officers club building in the center of the Roswell airport. His red Sabreliner, TCB and a lightening bolt on the side, is parked out front, tires flat, so he is not going anywhere by air soon. I bet he knows the answer since last I visited with him. He has aged well.

N

So maybe I was a little premature in ordering the SeaRec housing from Yuzo, but since I need it within the next 10 days for my trip to Little Cayman I really couldn't afford to wait. Some of the changes look like improvements, especially the threaded port.

So maybe I was a little premature in ordering the SeaRec housing from Yuzo, but since I need it within the next 10 days for my trip to Little Cayman I really couldn't afford to wait. Some of the changes look like improvements, especially the threaded port.

It is not clear from the model if it is actually female threaded rather than male threaded or if the 52mm adapter is shown installed. We just have to hang in there and see I guess. I am thinking, now, what is shown is the port adapter in place, could be wrong.

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom