Fixing gear to wing/backplate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

40Fathoms

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I've tried finding an answer to this on the forum, but nothing seems to come up. Guessing my Google-fu is letting me down! :shocked2:

I dive with a wing and backplate, both for open-water, single-tank dives, and for tech (and thus twin setup) dives. I've been looking for a clever way to carry one or two DSMB and a pocket mask. I know I could put it in my drysuit pockets, but a) I sometimes dive warm waters, where I wear a wet suit without pockets, and b) between my spare mask and my wetnotes, my pockets are quite full as it is.

Does anyone know of a clever way to attach these items to either the wing, the backplate, or the harness? And of course in a way so I can get to it easily.

Thanks in advance for any successions and ideas!

I dive a viking,drysuit, which does not have pockets.
I have my SMB in a sleeve (cordura nylon), with velcro pinch closure, two loops attach it my backplate/transpac rings with 2 quick links
My smb has a carabiner on it, that I half expose through the velcro closure. This allows me to grab the ring & pull the smb out.
Spare mask goes in a add-on thigh (DR clone) pocket. It has velcro flap, 2 loops on waist belt & wrap around thigh strap.

I'm switching to sidemount, & have to rethink the SMB, will likely butt mount below my light.
The thigh pocket just slides to front of thigh.

Mike D

My backplate has holes drilled all around the edge. I put some bungee loops on the bottom (an idea I got from someone else), through which I thread a lift bag. I have a small nylon pocket that I thread on my belt, next to my can light, for my spare mask.

I've also seen people bungee an SMB to a deco/stage bottle.

I use the XS SCUBA "weight" pockets to hold the reel, the SMB simply hangs out locked to the double ender and pushed back out of my way. I have another pocket I use for a roll up snorkel on the rare occasion I might carry a snorkel at all. These pockets are fitted to the left and right shoulder straps and pushed down and up against the plate. I do not carry an extra mask. N

My backplate has holes drilled all around the edge. I put some bungee loops on the bottom (an idea I got from someone else), through which I thread a lift bag.
I do this; one cord on each side of the crotch strap. I also have a D ring on my crotch strap near the backplate. I clip the SMB to it so that if it falls out of the bungee cords I won't lose it.

I dive a viking,drysuit, which does not have pockets.
I have my SMB in a sleeve (cordura nylon), with velcro pinch closure, two loops attach it my backplate/transpac rings with 2 quick links
My smb has a carabiner on it, that I half expose through the velcro closure. This allows me to grab the ring & pull the smb out.
Spare mask goes in a add-on thigh (DR clone) pocket. It has velcro flap, 2 loops on waist belt & wrap around thigh strap.

I'm switching to sidemount, & have to rethink the SMB, will likely butt mount below my light.
The thigh pocket just slides to front of thigh.

Mike D

You can mount your sleeve to a sidemount tank. I have a sleeve on my lean sided BO bottle that carrys my smb. No pockets required.

If I was a cave diver, or wreck penetration, it'd be different.

how many pockets are you using and how much stuff are you taking? Should be able to get it all in two pockets... Grab a pair of neoprene cargo shorts for when you're not diving a suit with pockets.

https://www.divegearexpress.com/neoprene-pocket-shorts

These shorts from DGX are a great deal.
The pockets aren't the best, but for the price, they are a great option.

There was some room for improvement, so I removed the stock pockets and had some better ones sewn on.

pocket shorts.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom