flights from NJ

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Its not the cost of the Maya Air flight, but the connection times... Either i cut it close or have to wait for longer than it would take to do the bus/ferry.
I just prefer to be in motion toward my destination. But if I were recovering from the dengue i could not even imagine traveling anywhere. That sounds like a nightmare....

Hey, Gang,

At the risk of offending many of you, let me state that the very best way to get to Cozumel is to avoid Cancun. No matter which way you get from the Cancun A/P to the island, there will be delays or "traps" or pains in the rear.

Continental/United flies directly to Cozumel (CZM) from Houston (IAH) and, so, I strongy recommend flying into Houston and then onto Cozumel.

And, whatever you do, do not get sucked in by the official-looking, but not-in-uniform folks after you pass through immigration and are waiting for your luggage...they are just salesfolks...however, you will have to press the button to see if your luggage is to be examined...all part of the Cozumel Full Employment Program. Also, you will have to ride one of the vans into town...no taxis can pick you up at the A/P...even friends are not allowed to pick you up!

joewr...travel agent to the rich, famous, and infamous...if you have money, I am happy to take it...

Its not the cost of the Maya Air flight, but the connection times... Either i cut it close or have to wait for longer than it would take to do the bus/ferry.
I just prefer to be in motion toward my destination. But if I were recovering from the dengue i could not even imagine traveling anywhere. That sounds like a nightmare....

Air Maya policy: delay a flight until it fills up...no exceptions...

Cancun to Cozumel Ferry: usually a nuisance taxi or van ride...and a pain if you are carrying scuba gear, cameras, and clothing...

But, what the heck, you wanted to experience more than just diving and eating great Chiles Rellenos, right?

joewr...last of the sybarites...but first in line at the buffet table...and, this space is still for rent at reasonable prices, but do not wait too long...

Hmmmm........I don't happen to agree with a lot of your "latest" (except for avoiding the timeshare idiots), but ""...even friends are not allowed to pick you up! "" is just nonsense. Maybe someone used that excuse on you?.......hahha...... Buen Viaje.

FWIW, Mayair (not Air Maya) has a schedule and runs on that schedule. Friends have been on that flight with very few passengers. The friend that I stay with always picks me up at the airport. No problems, no hassles. From the NY Metro area there are plenty of options to get to CZM. There currently are no non stops. I prefer to fly Delta thru ATL to CZM. Most times I get a flight from the little airport close to home (SWF) and avoid the big airports. Perfect for me.

I just booked NJ to Coz via Charlotte with US air. A little over 6 hours.
I miss those not stop flights. I can almost taste the chiles rellenos.

Hmmmm........I don't happen to agree with a lot of your "latest" (except for avoiding the timeshare idiots), but ""...even friends are not allowed to pick you up! "" is just nonsense. Maybe someone used that excuse on you?.......hahha...... Buen Viaje.

Hi, Actually it is not nonsense.:blinking: First and foremost the transportation from the A/P is controlled by a strong union--hence you will notice that even though departing folks travel to the A/P via taxis and hotel shuttles, none of those vehicles can provide transport for arriving visitors. Here is a more authoritave resource (Cozumel Insider... Cozumel Insider - Cozumel Transportation - Taxi, Bus, Ferry, and Rental Car Information - Cozumelinsider ):

"Transporation options OUT OF THE COZUMEL AIRPORT ARE LIMITED. There is one Airport Taxi Shuttle union (syndicato) with 100% control of transporting passengers OUT of the airport. As a result of this taxi union control, it goes without saying that there are NO COURTESY SHUTTLE SERVICES available from hotels. Hotels or accommodation providers may agree to GREET passengers at the airport and assist with the logistics of baggage transport but NOT the transport of passengers.":no:

And I am delighted to hear that you have wonderful friends who pick you up at the A/P, delighted and envious! But they are running the risk of a fine. And I have seen such fines levied. Family can pick you up and, so if your friends live on the island and have a local license plate, they are probably "safe". Since we do not have any friends with cars on island, we haven't tested the system.

And if you think landing in Cancun and wending your way to the island is easier than going through Houston, my only response is in the words of the late Julius Caesar: "De gustibus non disputandum est."

Maybe our experience with Mayair (I think it was called Air Maya the last time we flew with them...) is dated: last time we tried them was about 10 years ago--and it was the usual pain. However, we have continued to hear some bad reports by other divers from time-to-time. On the other hand, we have never had anything but an easy trip with Continental. SFO to Houston on the red-eye...Houston to CZM on the morning flight...after cup of Starbucks Pikes Place Roast and a sinful, sinful Cinnabon...:wink:

Buena viaje y larga vida! :kiss2:

joewr...law abiding citizen of the world and of the outer worlds...when it is convenient...and/or profitable...this space is still for rent, but the price is rising...

Sorry Joewr........but it IS nonsense......I am very well aware of the taxis not being able to pick up at the airport which is the only thing that the Cozumel Insider website states........(should have included that in the "only" thing you were correct about). I'm not sure if you are directing your "happiness" about being able to be picked up by friends at the airport at me or Judy, but I have been picked up myself, and I HAVE picked up PLENTY of people MYSELF, have friends who go rent a car and come BACK to pick up THEIR friends, etc etc and NOBODY has ever had an issue.........so please get your "facts" straight. And while we are at it, as nice as your Spanish lessons were in another thread, I tried to let you know in a subtle way that it's "buen viaje"..........viaje is masculine..........so, "buena viaje" just doesn't work. I also will refrain from commenting about things that seem to be your "opinion" but some of the stuff you are coming up with is just speculation and frankly, a little annoying.....(Gordon made the correct assumption about the Calling Station, by the way).....do you really claim to know about the schedules of Maya Air based on ten years ago?...........hmm.......is that the last time you were in Cozumel?...........just askin'.

Sorry Joewr........but it IS nonsense......I am very well aware of the taxis not being able to pick up at the airport which is the only thing that the Cozumel Insider website states........(should have included that in the "only" thing you were correct about). I'm not sure if you are directing your "happiness" about being able to be picked up by friends at the airport at me or Judy, but I have been picked up myself, and I HAVE picked up PLENTY of people MYSELF, have friends who go rent a car and come BACK to pick up THEIR friends, etc etc and NOBODY has ever had an issue.........so please get your "facts" straight. And while we are at it, as nice as your Spanish lessons were in another thread, I tried to let you know in a subtle way that it's "buen viaje"..........viaje is masculine..........so, "buena viaje" just doesn't work. I also will refrain from commenting about things that seem to be your "opinion" but some of the stuff you are coming up with is just speculation and frankly, a little annoying.....(Gordon made the correct assumption about the Calling Station, by the way).....do you really claim to know about the schedules of Maya Air based on ten years ago?...........hmm.......is that the last time you were in Cozumel?...........just askin'.

betsyinczm

I sincerely apologize if I offended you in any way. I have been to Cozumel around 40 times, the last being about a year-and-a-half ago. Usually we go twice a year, but circumstances made that impossible last year. That should change shortly.

Y pido disculpas por escrito incorrectamente la palabra "viaje", pero a veces escribo demasiado rapido. Cuando yo era un chico en California del sur aprendi espanol de mis amigos y, por eso, mi gramatica y ortografia son bastante pobres. Y una cosa mas: mi computadora no tiene tildes o marcas de acento. Lo siento.

I am do not have any "documentation" re the Calling Station: the story of its demise was told to me by the gent who owned the shop next door. Maybe he was wrong. One the other hand, almost everyone I know who visits Cozumel communicates via the internet...that includes me...hence his tale was credible.

As for the law regarding picking up folks at the A/P, that is what I learned from a local awhile back and, perhaps, I am out-of-date there, as well. For most folks I know, though, it is a non-issue since we do not have friends or family on island. And, I was sincere when I said I envied you: I think it wonderful that you have such friends!

Soy un hombre viejo y no me gusta argumentos: la vida es demasiado corta! Asi que, una vez mas, me perdone si escribi algo que no le gustaba.

joewr...amigo de buzos y taxistas...gringo que intenta escribir a espanol decente... cuando mi cerebro esta funcionando... y a menudo no es...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom