Flooded my Powershot SD750

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Before throwing it out why not try dunking it in rubbing isopropol alcohol to try to dissolve the salt, and let it dry out. Nothing to lose.

Adam
Just FYI for future readers - being a grad student studying chemistry, I thought it was sort of my duty to speak up. Isopropyl alcohol would be a poor choice to dissolve salt (since salt is almost insoluble in it), but would act as a very good "drying" agent. Following what the OP learned from the repairman about opening and rinsing your camera with fresh/distilled water thoroughly, a good follow up to that would probably be a rinse or wipe down with rubbing alcohol. This will help to evaporate any residual water left that would still corrode the internals. Then be sure to wait until everything is fully dry to do any testing. Sorry for being a nerd.

Not a good day when you look at your camera at 80ft and you see water inside the housing!
I flooded my Ixus a few weeks ago. Totally killed it.

Found a replcement on Ebay and Canon service were superb when I rang them for a new buckle for the case (suspect thats what caused the problem). Yes a $16 part killed my camera.
T

I too got a little water in my housing and killed my Canon (SD600). The lesson I took from that was- for underwater photography, get the cheap used camera on eBay FIRST - then when you have the inevitable flood, you don't have to worry quite as much.

If it makes you feel better...I flooded and destroyed my Olympus SP-350 last month also. Not sure if I will replace it again...so now left with a useless housing, along with Epoque WideAngle and Macro lenses + filters...that don't fit the housing for my other (Sony) camera. Grrr.....

Thanks, it does. My sympathies.

I was the one with the G9 that was flooded and saved with a fresh water rinse. Just as an update, the flash recently stopped working, so it is out for repair. Hopefully, it is something simple. Couple of things.....

1. I completely flooded the camera with freshwater as soon as it was available to me.
2. I actually placed the camera in a gas oven (with pilot flame) for around 13 hours.

I think the dry heat created by the pilot flame is what took all the moisture from the camera. Everything works fine except the flash of course. Oh, and the internal battery is apparently dead now since it needs the date every time I boot it. No biggie as a quick press of the shutter button passes that prompt.
Good luck with your revival.

Back
Top Bottom