florida gulf coast dive boat?????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I find that I agree with much that has been stated above. As a point of reference I have done a lot of off shore diving frome my Boston Whaler 22 Dauntless, with up to four divers aboard (Tech gear and 2 steel tanks each). While we ventured as much as 20 miles off shore, this is alawys a risk and took much planning and coordination to ensure safety. If you stay within 10 miles of shore a well equiped center console single engine boat will do, but if you want to get out past that 26+ feet and twins is really what is needed. I am on the water almost every day and see divers and fisherman out well past the prudent limits of their vessels, this is always a risk and sometimes does not end well. While there are many very good used boat deals to be had, 30k is a bit on the low side unless you hunt a great deal. Good luck!

Is the 25 miles from the beach or within the launch point. By that I mean the Oriskany is probably the only worth while dive site 25 miles+ off shore of Pcola. Now 5 miles offshore and 25 miles down the beach is different.
I have done extensive diving off Destin with my 24' single engine boat. The farthest off the beach was probably 10 to 15 miles but most was 8 to 10 off the beach but maybe 20 from the launch.

Captain is on to something. I don't own a boat but catch a lot of charters out of Pensacola (and surrounding areas). A lot of sites are within view of land (so...2, 3 miles??? Maybe 10....I don't know). I see a lot of small boats way out. It depends on the day and the seas. Plot out the more common dive sites, I bet they are closer to land then 20-25 miles.

I am thinking 30K should get you a good boat for 4 divers (2 up, 2 down to be safe)...if you are short handed-send me a PM. I want even charge to dive off your boat. :)

Except for the 25 mile part. Just saying.

I guess, just saying. Most boats float just as good 100 miles out as they do 100 feet out.

Four divers with tanks and gear can add almost 1500 # to the boat. This can make a marginally powered single engine boat underpowered and take you over the safe load carrying capability of a smaller center console boat.

With outboards pushing near 300 horsepower not sure exactly how many you really need. Modern outboards are terribly reliable compared to the 63 Johnson 75 that lived on our old boat, I would say at least three times more reliable, so, perhaps one will do. Toss in a kicker if one is paranoid.

I am sure the OP will be swayed to buy some huge barge he cannot afford to feed, or tow or house and will fall prey to the age old adage(s);

"A boat is like a hole into the water into which you throw 100 dollar bills."

"The happiest day in a boat owners life is the day he/she buys a boat and the day he/she sells said boat."

Or learn to live within what are certainly real limitations. I would rather be with a skipper that knows the waters in a 17 footer than a 30 footer who does not. Well, good luck, with whatever you choose or do or not do.

N

I take my 27 foot whaler 25 miles away ...it seems farther and the boat feels smaller the farther you get out

the divers hog space like no ones business with gear
add A few twin tank set ups and the weight adds up , on a larger boat this is a good thing,definitely not on a small boat where your worrying about weight capacity.
Add the wind picking up while you are out there and suddenly that extra 15k you spend feels like a bargain.

25 feet or larger with twins is my vote
the ocean doesn't care about you out there

I ran a 25' Wellcraft with single OB out 25+ miles for years out of Jamestown RI. Traded up to a 28' Downeaster with a heavy diesel engine. I still don't travel furthur but it is one heck of alot more comfortable. They are not that popular in your area but you could look for a Chesapeake design which is similar.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom