Florida Keys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Luckyfishrag

Reaction score
:confused: I am going to be in Florida and thinking of taking a day trip into the Florida Keys. I was considering a dive somewhere there, but have no clue where or what? Have you been diving in the Keys? We are staying in Ft.Lauderdale, but I think we can make it in a day trip? Right?
Help please.
Thanks for all your good info in advance. You guys/gals are the best!
Lucky

Hay Lucky,

If you're staying in Ft. Lauderdale then you're right in the middle of some of the best diving in South Florida. Greater Ft. Lauderdale is the only place in the continental U.S. you can snorkel or dive on a coral reef from the beach. The reefs here are just as good as any you'll find in the Keys. We have more wrecks here of all shapes, sizes and depth ranges then they have. The only exception might be the Spiegal Grove which is the largest intentionally sunk artificial reef in the world. At 510 feet long it's bigger then anything we have up here. But things are usually more expensive in the Keys due to the fact that the Keys are, well, the Keys.

My suggestion...Save your gas money, have a couple more cold ones on the beach with the extra money, stay here and dive.

FLL dive link

FLL dive link 2

Hope this helps.

Scott

PADIPRO is more experienced and knowledgeable than I am, yet - I might suggest a dive boat out of Key Largo, only a couple of hours from Ft.L in good traffic.

Luckfishrag, you don't list your training or experience in your profile, but if you kinda' new, the beach dive might be a little much. Many Key Largo boats cater to newbies:
** with DMs in the water with you, rahter than diving alone;
** a drift line behind the boat rather than fighting surf entering and exiting;
** shallow reef dives rather than deep wreck dives for a newbie; and
** general newbie support.

Besdies, Key Largo is a neat little rock, a fun place.

don

check out our op at www.BlueWaterDiver.net

Key Largo is about an hour and a half (allow two to be safe) south of Fort Lauderdale via 595 and the Florida Turnpike. Three dollars in quarters should get you through the toll booths without a hitch (definitely worth it). Just follow the signs to Homestead/Florida City/Key West (not to Miami).

Afternoon trips (two locations) depart around one o'clock, and return to the dock around five. The diving here is spectacular!

I hear there is some spectacular diving in FLL and WPB - you wouldnt have to drive all that far! I've dove with Ocean Divers and with Divers City (which is in Tavernier) - I really had a great experience with Divers City and cant recommend them enough!

Back
Top Bottom