florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vic n col

Reaction score
:confused:
Hi we are new divers and we only passed on 30/10/02 and were thinking we are off to Florida on 16/08/03 we are getting married in Key Largo with the dolphins. We wondered where would be good places to go and dive especially for new divers and also for a not so confident diver like myself. As the open water course has been helping me with my fear of open water.

But you probably want to head down to the keys... warm and scenic this time of year!

Congratulations on the wedding plans:cheer:
You could try some of the freshwater springs, like Ginnie Springs, they are great for diving because of the amazing visibility and warm temperatures. There are many springs set up for divers in Florida.

and if you get nervous you can always :snorkel:

Congratulation!

There isn't any beach diving in the Key Largo area that I know of. Most of the diving is done from boats on the reef system. The reefs are shallow. 35 feet max. The seas tend to be calm, but 4-5 ft swells are possible.

Be careful when you make your reservations. If the dive operator can't put enough people on the boat they won't make the trip. I've used Ocean Divers. They are a pretty good provider. I have never had them cancel a trip.

Florida is pretty much a diving mecca.

I'd stay south, as Jan. can be a bit chilly. It might even get down to 40 degrees at night! Brrr...

Good luck!

Peter Doege

I stayed on Key Largo about 5 years ago and dove at Pennekamp State Park. They took us out to Molasses Reef. The diving was great and I felt pretty safe with a state park. We even had snorkelers with us.

Happy diving!
astrl

If you're heading down to the Keys, I'd highly recommend checking out Marathon. I did my advanced open water out there and it was beautiful! Most of the reefs are between 25 and 45 feet down and they're spectacular. Wildlife galore swimming around down there... and the night dives are unbelievable! The shallow reefs and calm water are great for new divers.

If you head to Marathon, I would recommend diving with Abyss Dive Center. They're at mile marker 54 behind the Holiday Inn, oceanside. Great bunch of people and a first class operation.

Congratulations and have fun!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom