Flower Gardens with a beginner

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

teslamaster

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
first post!

My girlfreind is just finishing up her certification this week and I wanted to plan a trip in about a month. We were thinking about going to the Flower Gardens because we only have a week, it is pretty close, and I have heard good things about it.

I've seen a couple places say that this might not be the best place for a beginner to go. I wanted to see what you guys thought about it. She is a VERY athletic person, comfortable in the water, and of course I will be her buddy. I really don't think it will be a problem, but I thought I would get some input anyway.

The other question I had is whether they would let her go on the deeper dives having just gotten her certification. I know some places might be weary about that (I hope not). I went well over 100ft on a few of my fist dives and I'm sure she would be fine, but if they won't let her go we may not want to take the trip.

Thanks for the help, and who knows I might see one of you down there:)

Welcome to the board!

I second Hemlon's comment and question. Save the FG for later, when she has more experience.

Have you considered Cozumel or Roatan? Both are great places for beginners to practice their skills while still experiencing reefs and sealife.

Good luck!

I have lead many trips out to the Flower Gardens. Everything will be new to her. She has never had to do a giant stride from 5-6 ft above the surface, she has never dived in salt water (different weighting), she has no experience with navigation in case you both get separated, she has never dived a rig, how about current, what about separation in the deep blue, how about emergency situation you might get into. Will she be ready. Also, what about separation....

For me, the gardens are for advanced divers. I would not want anyone out there who does not have at least 20 dives and at least 10 in the last year. I am overly cautious though.

One might question whether you are ready yourself, at 25-50 logged dives. Your friend is certainly not ready. Sure, lots of people have gone out there just out of OW and did fine but that doesn't mean they were ready. Every new diver says they are "comfortable in the water".

Diving is real easy when everything goes right, being ready means you are prepared for when everything goes wrong. Jumping into the ocean in 1-2 foot waves and little current is easy, 3-4 foot waves and current is not so easy. Same for getting back up the ladder. Knowing how to navigate back to the mooring line, to ascend/descend on the line, and to monitor both air and NDL (most new divers only focus on the air) are all important. Life on a 100' crew boat requires adjustments even for experienced divers and can add to the stress level of someone not used to it. There is a line for everything from using the head to eating meals to dive entry/exit. For things to flow smoothly everybody needs to have their act together.

It's not any one thing that makes FG "advanced", it's the combination of lots of new things coming at you at once. The more of those variables you can take out of the equation, the lower your stress level will be. I would suggest the Florida Keys or Cozumel to build experience.

As its been stated so far, all of my reading indicates that FG is an advanced dive. Also, I remember Nitrox being recommended due to the profiles.

I was told by my LDS that a FG trip in the Spring has its own complications. Larger seas make for a rougher ride to and from and then you have the challenge of negotiating the ingress/egress to the boat.

I'm interested in others opinions here.

Thanks for the topic - welcome to the board.

Thanks for your responses. I'm glad to be on the boards.

I went on week long trip on a 60' boat for my first few dives and had a wonderful time. I think she would have a great time too and being very carful she/we would do great, but maybe it isn't a good place to start. I would still like to look into it more though because it may be our only option for this upcomming trip.

I have thought about Cozumel or Roatan but we can't go out of the country since she doesn't have a passport right now, and with the time it would take up to get to florida there wouldn't be much time for diving.

Just keep in mind, if you go to 80-100 ft (which she has never done) and get separated, and then she has equipment trouble; then what?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom