Flower Gardens with a beginner

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hemlon:
Getting a passport isn't that difficult. If diving really is to be a passion for you both, you will both need passports!
Thats true, I wasn't sure if we could get it for her in time though. The last week of this month is really the only time we can go since I'm starting a new job right after that.

I obviously don't want to do anything that would be dangerous for her being a beginner, and if it looks too much like it may be that way then definatly will not go. If there are any other options though I would like to look into them, such as diving an a group of 3 for the first few dives while keeping a close eye on her and being very carefull and alert, or not going all the way down to the reef on the first few and making sure she is ready first.

I would really liek a trip to happen if it can, but like I said if it doesnt look like a good idea then we will not go.

Does it have to be warm water? Not sure where you are in Indiana but Tobermory, Ontario is only a 12 hour drive from Dayton, OH and has some nice wrecks that are shallow. The Niagara II is billed as an advanced dive but you can have a nice dive on her at 60 feet, it would make a nice end of week site to start expanding a new diver's comfort envelope after doing the shallower wrecks. There are also a couple of neat shore dives that make a good place to acquaint yourself with diving Lake Huron without having the added stress of a boat. We always do a couple shore dives before we start our boat dives.

I hear Brockville, Ontario has warm water in the summer but I haven't been there so can't tell you anything about suitability for new divers.

The less stressful her first dives are the more likely she will enjoy and stay with the sport. It often only takes one really bad experience early in a divers "career" to make them quit. The Flower Gardens will still be there when she has a little more experience.
Ber :lilbunny:

Why not some of the Florida springs? They are only about a 12 hour drive from Dayton as well.

(Just saw your planned vacation dates)

Great advice from other well experienced people so far.

Keep in mind, you're in Indiana, the no/no go call is made at noon on Friday for a weekend trip. Sure you can watch the weather and get a good idea, but if it's iffy all week you could get stuck with a plane ticket to Houston and no diving to do. July/August are better months for top odds to go.

Go back through and read trip reports. There is alot of great info in all of them.

I agree with many others, make a trip to Florida. Go to Panama city beach.

Give it a year of diving together and come on down. The Gardens and the Gulf Diving boats will still be here.

TwoBit

TwoBitTxn:
I agree with many others, make a trip to Florida. Go to Panama city beach.

TwoBit

Completely forgot about that one, the jetties can be a blast! Dive them at high tide. BTW, that's about a 12 hour drive from Dayton as well.

Thanks a lot guys.

Ber Rabbit:
No, warm water is not a must, although it would be nice. Do you know if there are good wrecks on the US side?

The reason we didn't want to go to florida is that it would be a really long drive (2 full days) to the keys. Where are the Florida Springs located at? If they are farther north that would defanatly be an option

I haven't heard much about Panama City, but that is a lot closer to us as well. I assume there isn't a reef there, but how is the diving?

**edit ^^
South Padre is a little to far away too, where ever we go, it will probably be driving

teslamaster:
Thanks for your responses. I'm glad to be on the boards.

I went on week long trip on a 60' boat for my first few dives and had a wonderful time. I think she would have a great time too and being very carful she/we would do great, but maybe it isn't a good place to start. I would still like to look into it more though because it may be our only option for this upcomming trip.

I have thought about Cozumel or Roatan but we can't go out of the country since she doesn't have a passport right now, and with the time it would take up to get to florida there wouldn't be much time for diving.

Maybe you're well suited for boats, maybe you're flexible, maybe you got lucky. Diving from a boat in 4' seas is much different than diving in 2' seas. There are days in FG that you could conduct OW classes and there are days where DMs have their skills tested. People have different tolerances for seasickness, too.

I assume you are driving as flying to Miami takes no more time than flying to Houston. Even by car the difference is minimal, 1000 miles from Naptown to Htown versus 1200 miles to Miami (gateway to the Keys). The Keys are ideal for beginners, no passport needed, reefs are 20' to 30', boat takes 30 minutes or less to reach them, and you have deeper wrecks to try if all is going well.

Alternatively, you could take day boats out of Destin Florida, which is even closer to you than Houston. Plus there are easy beach dives and spring dives in case of weather. Which is another caveat, it's common for FG trips to be scrubbed for weather even when it looks great outside (it may be or projected to be rougher 110 miles offshore) and often the call is not made until noon of departure date. Your chances of being blown out are a whole lot less in Florida but if you come here and your FG trip gets scrubbed, I'll be glad to introduce you both to Texas Swamp Diving. :D

Back
Top Bottom