Flower Gardens with a beginner

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks a lot I have some great things to look into. I have to head out for a couple hours now... but I'll be back to discuss it some more if you are still around then.

teslamaster:
Thanks a lot I have some great things to look into. I have to head out for a couple hours now... but I'll be back to discuss it some more if you are still around then.

We never go away. We live here. :wink:

teslamaster:

This is our surface interval.

Great advice, all, about the Flower Gardens. I'm a volunteer for the Flower Garden Banks National Marine Sanctuary, and while we are immensely proud of the coral ecosystems there, we are very concerned about safety, especially with new divers. As most responses noted, the very shallowest dive on the FG is about 65 feet, unless you count a dive on High Island (one of the area's oil platforms, on which you can stay as shallow as you like, though the ocean bottom is 450 feet down, and that can be a bit un-nerving for new divers). That means that one needs AT LEAST AOW in order to be comfortable with the depth (most dives average 70 to 80 feet, with a "bottom" of 100). In addition, if you are going in June, one needs to be aware that conditions are unstable and very prone to rapid change that time of year. Currents can be ripping, and they can change in a matter of minutes...literally, and swells tend to be a bit higher. Couple that with all the factors mentioned (diving from a boat--getting back on board in 3-4 ft seas is a rodeo!--the high giant stride, navigation, etc...) and it makes sense to postpone this one for a while. There will be time enough to make the FG later on in one's diving career, and that will contribute greatly to making it the great experience it should be.
Many thanks to all those who very prudently posted sound advice regarding the OP's query on this matter. Good job SBer's!

While a FG trip should be on your 'must do' list, I agree it is probably a bit early to take your honey on this one. I would try some easier warm water diving, the Clipper should be ready to dive by time of your trip, or you could look into another of the dives offered by American Diving on S Padre if you're set on diving Texas waters. Or Florida offers some great entry ocean diving for about the same drive.

teslamaster:
Thanks a lot guys.

Ber Rabbit:
No, warm water is not a must, although it would be nice. Do you know if there are good wrecks on the US side?

The reason we didn't want to go to florida is that it would be a really long drive (2 full days) to the keys. Where are the Florida Springs located at? If they are farther north that would defanatly be an option

Wow this thread has some interest!!

I had to throw in my 2 cents to when I saw the Florida Recommendation. After I got cerified in 94 (my last year of college) we (UT Dive club) did a trip to florida from Austin. We drove to about the Tampa area to a place called Crystal River and starting there we must have hit a dozen different dive spots. We started at Crystal River and went north and west and the last spring was in the panhandle.

IMHO that is a perfect dive trip for a beginner. Generally not deep but crystal clear water, gorgeous scenery, and interesting dive sites.

At Crystal River we did a snorkel / Dive. First we snorkeled with the manatees then dove with a guide through some small cave like areas. I dropped my mask on the way back and had to go back alone to get it. When I did I saw two hugh Tarpins!

Another place had a jet of water as coming out a very large opening and the water was perfectly clear with a blue tinge. You could swim hard into the water flow and still not move.

Another site had some toys sunk. It was kind of crowded but interesting.

That cave at Crystal river was more of a tourist type cave. Very large and short. Plus we had a guide. We saw several more caves but were warned very sternly about going into them. People die in caves so don't do that with a beginner but the guided tour was fun. Plus we got a video of that dive.

Anyway huge thumbs up for Florida.

I would really like to take her somewhere with a lot of sealife. Lots of colorful fish, sharks, lobster, rays, turtles, etc. I think She would have the most fun with something like that.

After looking at some of the options you guys have suggested, and ruling some of them out due to distance, passport requirements etc. I have come up with these:
-FG
-Keys
-Great Lakes
-Florida Springs
-Panama City
-Destin

I have been to the Keys a couple times. That would be a great place for her to start but it's a 20 hour drive, which is starts to reduce the time we have actually there quite a bit.

The great lakes would be a lot of fun, but again it would be nice to have a lot of sea life for her first dives.

I haven't really heard much about Panama City or Destin. They are only a 12 hour drive which would be a lot eisier. Have any of you been there and have some insight for me? I heard there is an artificial reef off of Panama City. How does it compare to reefs in the Keys or the Bahamas?

Of course FG is still an option, but from what you guys have been saying it's moving down on the list.

PM Walter. He is an experienced instructor who lives in Florida. He can fill you in on some good sites for beginning divers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom