Flu-like symptoms after a dive;Poseidon Regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Papagino

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have found a few references on ScubaBoard, albeit old ones, that seem to describe a problem I am having. But I wonder if anyone has any newer information, or has had a similar problem; and what they did about it. Here is the issue. Two years ago, after making hundreds of dives over many years, I started developing flu-like symptoms an hour or two after the second dive of a multi day series of dives. At first I felt really chilled, shivvering uncontrollably. Then the chill would switch to a fever that would last an hour or so, then break. For the next hour or so I was weak; and then suddenly fine. This happened two days in a row in Cozumel after 60 to 70 minute dives; then again on several other trips. This problem got to the point that I was beginning to have second thoughts about diving. Recently, just last week, my regulator was also causing me grief by spraying a fine mist of salt water in my mouth, which caused a cough later in the day. That led me to find a possible connection between the wet regulator and my symptoms. I hate to give up my Poseidon as otherwise it breathes wonderfully, and cost me a bundle. However, giving up diving would be worse. By the way, the reg has been checked and seems to be performing normally. Also, to complicate matters, at the same time this problem started, I started taking blood pressure medicine. My MD does not think that is related. I also spoke with DAN and mentioned saltwater aspiration syndrome. DAN was skeptical and referred me to a local doctor. Does anyone have any advice or has anyone had a similar recent experience? Thanks

If your reg checked out OK the water may be leaking in past your lips, so you may want to pay attention to how your bite is being placed.
There aren't too many options for aftermarket Poseidon mouthpieces but the newer ones are smaller than the old ones; what model reg do you have & what year was the critter made? (The serial number's first digit is the year code)

If your reg checked out OK the water may be leaking in past your lips, so you may want to pay attention to how your bite is being placed.
There aren't too many options for aftermarket Poseidon mouthpieces but the newer ones are smaller than the old ones; what model reg do you have & what year was the critter made? (The serial number's first digit is the year code)
Its a Poseidon Xtreme, and the first three digits of the serial number are 001. Your point about the mouthpiece is a good one. Sometimes I do hold it a little too lightly. Also, I was curious to see the Xtreme described in a 2003 Rodale review as "dry". I guess that is relative. Compared to a ScubaPro G500 I have, it is pretty wet. That has never really bothered me though, unless it is causing my symptoms. Thanks for replying.

Its a Poseidon Xtreme, and the first three digits of the serial number are 001. Your point about the mouthpiece is a good one. Sometimes I do hold it a little too lightly. Also, I was curious to see the Xtreme described in a 2003 Rodale review as "dry". I guess that is relative. Compared to a ScubaPro G500 I have, it is pretty wet. That has never really bothered me though, unless it is causing my symptoms. Thanks for replying.

I know the Poseidon mist well. I'd conduct a test. Use the G500 as your primary for a while and relegate the Poseidon to some other duty. I first noticed some very fine, atomized gas/water coming out of my breath after diving an Odin second stage many, many years ago. The atomized mist has never bothered me, but with sensitive individuals I would dare say it could be bothersome. Additionally, seawater can harbor some silica critters like diatoms, which when inhaled might be bothersome to the lungs, or even sinuses??? I'm guessing about the diatoms, but there is enough stuff in seawater that might bother sensitive folks.

BTW- any piece of equipment that you suspect is causing trouble should not be used, regardless of cost. It'll only end up causing more difficulties.

X

In the references you found researching your situation, have you found some on subclinical DCS? I've heard that you can have a post-dive fever from the body's reaction to dealing with the nitrogen trying to get out....like the body detects something is not right and kicks in a fever to help deal with it. I used to commonly have a worn-out feeling post diving like I get when getting sick. I found using nitrox helped (i.e. less nitrogen post dive to deal with), and then I learned about the values of ascending slower than what they teach in OW class. Now I feel better post-dive than I used to regardless of using air or nitrox since I ascend more slowly in order to have the nitrogen work its way out in a more controlled manner.

Replying to the two previous comments, I agree completely about suspect equipment, and will be using my G500 until I can establish or refute a connection between my flu like symptoms and my Poseidon. Also, I try to follow the cave divers rule that if it doesn't feel right, it probably isn't. Regarding Nitrox, yes, Nitrox makes me feel better. And now that my SAC rate is pretty good, Nitrox is necessary on most dives to shallower depths, just to stay out of decompression. My ascent rate is something I have to work on constantly. Despite being as careful as I can be, on drift dives my Nitek HE usually gives me at least one warning. Of course, it is possible that nitrogen, exhaustion, HBP medicine, and the Poseidon mist have all conspired with age to produce my problem. It could be additive. I hope not though!

At the risk of falling off my soap box, one thing I don't like about dive computers is that they allow a person to load up right to the ragged edge of the NDLs.
Everyone has a different rate at which the excess nitrogen is disposed of & there is no magic line of "bent / not bent". It's a gradual thing where the bends are "sub-clinical" (no outward symptoms) and gradually proceed into the "clinical" range where symptoms are present.
Tiredness and fatigue can be actual "clinical" symptoms of a DCS hit, so it may be a possibility that you're getting a wee bit bent. That's probably why most folks "feel better" after diving with nitrox, especially using air tables with it.
I'd recommend that the Xstream be used on a few dives where the computer was very conservatively followed rather than to the edge of putting out warnings & see if the problem still presents itself.
I'd also spray some Listerine into the 2nd stage (and rinse) before & after each dive to make sure there aren't any micro-critters taking up residence inside. Let the antiseptic soak for 5 minutes before rinsing for best effect.

Replying to the two previous comments, I agree completely about suspect equipment, and will be using my G500 until I can establish or refute a connection between my flu like symptoms and my Poseidon. Also, I try to follow the cave divers rule that if it doesn't feel right, it probably isn't. Regarding Nitrox, yes, Nitrox makes me feel better. And now that my SAC rate is pretty good, Nitrox is necessary on most dives to shallower depths, just to stay out of decompression. My ascent rate is something I have to work on constantly. Despite being as careful as I can be, on drift dives my Nitek HE usually gives me at least one warning. Of course, it is possible that nitrogen, exhaustion, HBP medicine, and the Poseidon mist have all conspired with age to produce my problem. It could be additive. I hope not though!

Hey, Papagino --

Did you ever go back to using your Poseidons? I've been getting similar symptoms, but not consistently. But I've had my Jetstreams for about 5 years now, and I do notice that sometimes I see a mist in my mask when I exhale (noticed this from the beginning), but I've only recently been getting the fever-like symptoms, usually just chills and a temp, but it breaks as soon as I manage to make myself break a sweat.

Saw this in another thread:
It turns out that the Poseidon traps water in the bottom part of the regulator. Inhaling turns this water into micro-droplets which would go into my lungs. My body would see this as a foreign intruder and send out the cavalry, thus a fever. Granted it doesn't happen to everyone but the more people which I talked to the more occurrences I found.

I'm wondering if you guys have any more information on this. :) Thanks.

Since this is an old resurfaced thread, any new developments would be nice to know.

However, if the blood pressure med was an ACE inhibitor, coughing is a side effect. Fevers may also arise from stress and are called psychogenic fevers.

In medschool, I was taught that fevers are either from infection or meds, or cancer. Only later after some experience with strange fevers, did I become aware of the psychogenic fever.

Psychogenic fever is one of the most common psychosomatic diseases. Patients with psychogenic fever have acute or persistent body temperature above normal range in psychologically stressful situations.

Age and gender differences of psychogenic fever: a review of the Japanese literature
Age and gender differences of psychogenic fever: a review of the Japanese literature

Hey, Papagino --

Did you ever go back to using your Poseidons? I've been getting similar symptoms, but not consistently. But I've had my Jetstreams for about 5 years now, and I do notice that sometimes I see a mist in my mask when I exhale (noticed this from the beginning), but I've only recently been getting the fever-like symptoms, usually just chills and a temp, but it breaks as soon as I manage to make myself break a sweat.

Saw this in another thread:
It turns out that the Poseidon traps water in the bottom part of the regulator. Inhaling turns this water into micro-droplets which would go into my lungs. My body would see this as a foreign intruder and send out the cavalry, thus a fever. Granted it doesn't happen to everyone but the more people which I talked to the more occurrences I found.

I'm wondering if you guys have any more information on this. :) Thanks.

Thanks for your post. Unfortunately, I have not been able to get to any salt water since my December post. I have used the Poseidon in fresh water, where the salt mist is not an issue. I have also heard from one other diver with similar symptoms. I also found that the tie rod that holds my mouthpiece in place was a bit jagged, resulting in my holding the reg a bit loosley in my mouth. That may be a contributing factor too, as was suggested in one of the replies above. I will definitely repost as soon as I have something to add. I am pretty convinced that salt water in the lungs is my problem, regardless of how it gets there, due to the numerous references in the medical literature to fevers associated with near drowning situations. I wonder if anyone using any other regulators have had this salt water syndrome. Surely there are other "wet breathing" regulators out there. I am certainly not dissing the Poseidon regs. But I will try a different one next time I am in salt water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom