Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 18-23

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • 24+

Votes: 11 61.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

munkispank

Contributor
Reaction score
I have just returned from a trip to Bonaire and the actions of other divers have left me wondering if I am the only idiot who "follows the rules". Whilst sitting around not diving on my last day of a multi-day dive trip- I saw other divers happily getting down leaving a 12 hour or so interval. Some I spoke to said they follow the "old" 12 hour rule- no the 24 hour, and some said that as their last dives were shallow, that they didn't count.

what does everyone out there usually do?????

Don't misunderstand my intentions here, I will continue to dive and fly safely, but wanted to what percentage of divers "bend" the rules.

munkispank once bubbled...
Don't misunderstand my intentions here, I will continue to dive and fly safely, but wanted to what percentage of divers "bend" the rules.
My typical pattern is to do morning dives, then fly out the following morning. This usually ends up around 18 hours time-to-fly.

Whether or not you are bending the rules depends upon the rule. I sometimes bend the 24 hour rule. I never even come close on the
Wet Hair Rule .

Dear Scuba Board Readers:

Wet Hair :grad:

There is no doubt in my mind, from my 30-year experience as a research scientist, that there are considerable differences in individuals with respect to their tendency to acquire DCS. Unless you know for certain that you are a resistant individual, and are always a resistant individual in every circumstance, I certainly would not modify those rules.

It is a simple case of the adage, “When it works, it works well, but when it fails, it fails catastrophically.” If it fails you while on an airplane, the inconvenience, discomfort, and cost could be considerable. :nono:

Dr Deco :doctor:

Please note the next class in Decompression Physiology http://wrigley.usc.edu/hyperbaric/advdeco.htm=-)

i used to adhere to the 24-hour rule ... what else was there

these days however, with dive computers being better and better, i am tempted to rely on the no-fly time my computer suggests ... strangely though, i never dive on the last day before flying out ... must be some kind of behavioural conditioning :rolleyes:

Were built on theory, expert consensus and less than solid data.

http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/news/article.asp?newsid=258

Newer data collected by DAN is revealing FAD substantially lower than the existing rules.

http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/medical/research/fad/overview.asp

Its best to understand HOW rules were made before disobeying rules.

When in doubt, Dr. Deco's advice and analysis is 100% on the money.

In general, a simple no-analysis approach is 24 hours FAD wait time including deco dives. The Suunto Vyper's computer algorithm will count as high as 30 hours, I'm not sure what Dr. Wienke based that on. Many UWATEC computers will count down to less than 24 hours depending on the last dive in a 12 hr period.

DAN's current rule is 18 hours for multiple dives per day. What is vague about this recommendation is what multiple dives mean, I presume more than one, but up to how many?

Since FAD issues are related to inert gas loading, its not the total number of dives that matter, but the depth-time AND surface interval between any 12-24 period before flying.

What I do:

FAD is rarely if ever an issue. After the last dive of the day, at least 1 hour is needed to prep gear for travel and pack, this includes very thorough rinsing and gear checks for repair/replacement back home. Bringing home salty gear that drys is a receipe for damage. In many travels, small planes charge extra for weight, and taking home salt water soaked gear is unnecessary. Gear dries very slowly in humid environments. Gear dried in bags can produce quite an odor not meant for human exposure.

Then there 1-3 hours for bathing, dinner and chatting with the staff and fellow divers. I need 7-9 hours sleep. We have to be at the airport 1-2 hours pre-flight check-in. We may wake 1-2 hours before leaving to have a leisurely exit, breakfast and paying bills. Once in the plane to crusing altitude runs between 30min to 1 hour, if we don't sit on the tarmac due to congestion or delays.

The above pattern takes over 17-18 hours from last dive to flight. On the short end, it always over 12 hours, from the last dive to the time the plane is actually at 10000'.

Take Home Message:

Rules are rules, the DAN rules haven't changed but stay tuned.

As a pilot, I am aware that the FAA has certain recommendations on flying after diving, as I am aware as a scuba instructor what DAN says on the issue, however pilots abide by the FAA rules as most of them no nothing of DAN. I was therefore wondering if anyone has a opinion on the FAA recommendations.

Airmans Information Manual

8-1-2. Effects of Altitude.

d. Decompression Sickness After Scuba Diving.

1. A pilot or passenger who intends to fly after scuba diving should allow the body sufficient time to rid itself of excess nitrogen absorbed during diving. If not, decompression sickness due to evolved gas can occur during exposure to low altitude and create a serious inflight emergency.

2. The recommended waiting time before going to flight altitudes of up to 8,000 feet is at least 12 hours after diving which has not required controlled ascent (nondecompression stop diving), and at least 24 hours after diving which has required controlled ascent (decompression stop diving). The waiting time before going to flight altitudes above 8,000 feet should be at least 24 hours after any SCUBA dive. These recommended altitudes are actual flight altitudes above mean sea level (AMSL) and not pressurized cabin altitudes. This takes into consideration the risk of decompression of the aircraft during flight.

Ryan

I'm curious. Can anyone point to any statistics/studies on actual DCI rates caused by FAD? Not people who had DCI on the ground that got worse after flying but people who actually developed symptoms of DCI in the air...

Any idea how high your average puddle jumper goes? I frequently see people taking short flights b/n islands (10min flights) on day trips where they go and return the same day while diving in between. My last trip I ask another diver about it and he said, “It’s just a puddle jumper and does not get high enough to make any difference”. I took the boat.

I have treated several cases of altitude DCS but have not seen nor heard of any FAD cases that did not inolve a prior symptom.

In all cases the victims were air force fighter pilots and in two of the cases the symptoms were gone prior to starting the treatment table.

I know DAN is working on this issue for the Navy right now, and from what I heard the delay before flying time will be decreasing not increasing.

The FAA regulation you posted is verbatim from the Navy dive manual. It seems common for most non-diving federal agencies to refer to this manual when establishing standards.

Jeff Lane

After all, I'm responsible for my own safetey, not SSI, not PADI, not SUUNTO and not any divemaster or dive op I choose to dive with. If I can stretch the interval out to 24 hours, I do, just to be overly cautious.

I flew at excatly 18 hours yesterday. There was weather in Miami, so the counter agent at Continental suggested that I take an earlier flight if I really needed to get home. The flight she put me on took off 17 hours and 54 minutes after my last dive, as opposed to 22 1/2 hours for the flight I had originally booked.

During the flight my legs started to go tingly. After about half an hour I noticed that my shins were cold and kind of numb. "This is it." I thought. "I've gone and bent myself just because I don't want to lose a day of work."

It turns out that there were air conditioning vents blowing directly on my shins. As soon as I go away from them, everything was normal again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom