Flying with a JJ

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It’s some quite clever mind trick though: it makes it looks like very genuine when you see the message 😊

not_the_rebreather.jpg

I just did a trip to truk lagoon with my JJ.

Pelican Air 1615 fits the whole unit minus the backplate at just under 50 lbs. You do have to take the stand off but it goes in the box also.

2nd checked bag had backplate and all the other diving related stuff, fins etc.

Carryon bag had all the regulators and my clothes.

Backpack was all camera gear and batteries

I just did a trip to truk lagoon with my JJ.

Pelican Air 1615 fits the whole unit minus the backplate at just under 50 lbs. You do have to take the stand off but it goes in the box also.

2nd checked bag had backplate and all the other diving related stuff, fins etc.

Carryon bag had all the regulators and my clothes.

Backpack was all camera gear and batteries
Do you think that having a pelicase may attract thiefs?

Do you think that having a pelicase may attract thiefs?
I don't think anymore than another piece of luggage, I replaced a couple latches with TSA keyed locks, and I got a bright yellow one. I was travelling with a bunch of other tech divers and most were doing something similar so having the yellow really helped spot mine in a sea of black peli cases 🙂

I'm too lazy to remove the stand every time I travel, so I used Pelican IM2950. I carry the head with me in carry on. The weight is over 50lbs but under 70.

I'm too lazy to remove the stand every time I travel, so I used Pelican IM2950. I carry the head with me in carry on. The weight is over 50lbs but under 70.
I tried the same by being lazy and not removing the stand. after a couple weeks of this I noticed some rust forming on the stainless bolt heads for the stand. This after diving in the Med and rinsing everyday. Might be worth a look at yours if you haven't removed in a while.

As for travel, I went the light weight route and got a ORTLIEB roller bag "Duffle RS" in the 110L size. At 2990 g it smokes the Pelicans for weight savings :cool:. Aside from this I bought from Amazon some Case Club Customizable (PE) Polyethylene Foam 54" x 16" x 2". It weighs nearly nothing and provides a little extra backbone for the bag. I cut out the layout for the can and now my spares, entire JJ, tools, and DiveSoft Analyzer box all fit with some extras at a whopping 30kg. Excluding cylinders, because who travels with those lol.

I plan to get titanium stand and handle to cut weight where I can. Just my two cents, but the JJ housing is already a tank in many regards, so I struggle to see why it needs to be put inside a Pelican tank where it's just adding unnecessary weight to a already poor airline baggage policy. It is worth noting that I'm a bit of a weight saving freak so I nit pick A LOT.

Good Luck and let us know what you settle on with your JJ journey.

Cheers

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom