Flying with Bottles..... is it worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

skubah

Reaction score
I'd like to get some feedback from those that have had some experience traveling via commercial airlines, and taking their tanks with them.

I've heard various stories about bringing your own bottles with you on vacation, but would like to get some facts about it.

Here is my quick scoop.

If you are going on a short trip, its not worth the hassle.

if you are going on a medium length trip (1 month), you are better off buying a tank at destination then selling it when you leave. Or better yet strike a deal with the LDS.

The airlines allow only 50 lbs/bag. The bag is 5-10lbs empty, tank about 35. Is it worth it saving a few bucks.

I had a recent situation where i was on a sailboat in the keys for 12 days, there were 3 divers we wanted to rent 15 tanks, but no lds would give us a deal they all wanted $10 a day. Do the math, $120 I could buy one for that. I would have, but did not have time to sell at end of trip. We ended up flying our tanks, I flew south west, 70 lbs a bag, thin nylon bags, 3 bags I was able to get 4 80's and one 40, little to no room for gear. One buddy went delta between him and his wife they go 4 80's and a 40 packed, but the lady at the counter gave him a hard time and wanted $50 a tank, he said he would not fly, then she let him on without charge, same story on the return trip. Final buddy on continental got one tank per bag, no problems. Overall it was a hassel, but it was worth saving the $$$$$$$$$$$$

Back
Top Bottom