Flying with Dive Gear - Best Practices

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The main thing I have learned is, Each trip is different and we pack accordingly.

Some trips are a no-stop flight to the destination, and others involve many stops, red-eye flights, tight connections, or puddle jumpers.

Some places are going to have cooler water and we will need wetsuits, others not.

Some places will have a kitchen in the room, and we will bring some extra stuff for that.

We NEVER rent any gear, except tanks and weights.

We pack a minimum of clothing. You can always buy a few souvenir shorts or tee shirts when you get there.

We put the more valuable stuff like computers and prescription masks in small carryons, and the rest in checked duffel bags.

If there are multiple stops or tight connections we put everything in bigger wheeled carryons - they are full and heavy but we can do it.

Airport inspections are designed to be unpredictable, and they are. Count on having to open all your bags when you only have 5 minutes to get across the airport to your connecting flight.

We take food and snacks with us so we don't have to eat the - stuff ??? - in airports or on airplanes.

Sometimes we get trip insurance, sometimes we don't. Sometimes we think we know what it covers, sometimes ... not so much.

I travel with my own gear except for tanks & weights. I have a cargo bag made by a local company that specializes in bags. It has lasted several years and it also has a lifetime guarantee.

I pack my regulator, computer, and camera in my carry-on. I've only had one incident ever with getting through airport security and it was in of all places, Orlando. The TSA agent was new and wanted me to make my regulator work. I told him I couldn't without an air tank. He was trying to tell me that it would not be allowed even as a checked item. His supervisor came over, looked at my regulator asked where I was diving, chatted about diving for a couple of minutes, then said have a nice trip.

What's the best way to travel with a can light these days? And how do you label your lithium ion batter so as to not cause any waves with TSA?

I put the knife in checked bag. Reg. has gone either in carry-on (no problems with security) or checked. Watch & computer in carry-on (no problems). I had a bunch of 2 lb. weights in the carry-on which caused some concern as the officer picked one up and made a motion with it to see if I could conk someone on the head with it but did then say they were OK (not much of a real weapon that could do much to endanger the plane!). Next time I'll try to get them in the checked bag without paying a fee for overweight.

+1 for Dive Caddy, and my wife uses an Akona roller (she may be getting a DC for Christmas) -- lost way too much luggage over the years to not bring critical gear as a carry-on and after using mine to go to Fiji this summer I was hooked on the product. Camera is 2nd carry-on ("personal item") with the Kindle stashed in that bag. We usually will check one bag with non-critical stuff like the save-a-dive kit, knives, toiletries and extra clothing (but 1 shorts, swimsuit and t-shirt in the carry-on).

I dont have many dive trips, (have only started diving in 2009) but i figured the more expensive small things, i would always do carry on such as regs, prescription dive mask, computer, and camera. The BC, fins, and other stuff get checked. I am yet to travel with a wetsuit (will do so next year). When I traveld to brasil this past year they guy who was doing x-ray was so weirded out by what I had in my carry on when i opened it, he was so amazed (think he was new) and was really into my underwater camera case that he was holding up the line lol.
I love flying to places that allow u 10kg extra because u have dive gear with you. =)

I use a soft-sided large roller bag for all the soft stuff and a twenty inch carry-on for everything else. Since I fly Southwest and get two bags free everything goes below. The only thing that I carry on are my meds, some candy and a sandwich. If you are worried about losing your luggage carry on those things that you think you can't do without or afford to lose like cameras, etc. Most dive equipment can be rented for a nominal fee. When I first started flying with dive equipment I used to carry on my regs which only enticed the TSA buffoons to take another look.

I never put anything of value or anything I consider 'fragile' under the plane. Dont want the chance of it getting delayed, stolen or more importantly, broken by having all kind of crap thrown on top of it. Think regs, masks, cameras, probably even BCD etc would be in the plane with me. other stuff would check.

What's the best way to travel with a can light these days? And how do you label your lithium ion batter so as to not cause any waves with TSA?

Didnt think you had to label them yet, but they have to go in carry on, cant go in checked baggage.

larry is always given the 'extra special' treatment because his carry-on is the one with the can lights. they've never ended up having a problem, but they unpack his whole carry-on so he can curse under his breath as he repacks.

i love the weight checker thing. it's great to make sure the extra water you're taking home isn't gonna put you over the weight limit, so be sure to pack it.

sometimes, after the checked bag is weighed and squeaks under the limit, i'll slip my jetfins back in it! shhh...

What's the best way to travel with a can light these days?

The can light goes in my carry-on, along with regulators, computers, and mask. I usually alert the X-Ray operator that the bag contains dive gear, sometimes they swab it, sometimes they don't. Checked gear goes in a Wild Things duffel, which I used to pack full of ropes and hardware for climbing trips. Toughest bags I've ever seen, no wheels, no padding, no logos.

Wife and I travel with 2 complete sets of dive gear--2 of the following: fins, booties, skins, BCs, snorkels, small spare parts kit, 3 masks, mesh dive bag folded up--- wrist computers & reguulators in our carryons----- in a large (hard) older style Samsonite suitcase......Has worked perfectly since Dec of 1985......Total weight is 48 #s.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom