Focus light for stills - wide or narrow? Any makers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ardy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Hi I am looking for a focus light for my macro photography. Not sure whether to buy a narrow or wider(50mm approx.) Any ideas I am trying to avoid using my flash as a focus light.

Have been looking at the BigBlue 450wm...

You want a wide even beam. Sometimes with a spot beam it can show up in your photos. A 1000-2000 lumen video light works well. I use a 2000 lumen iTorch light. 450 lumens really isn't very much at all, but depending on your dive site visibility it might be ok for you. I'm in cold dark low vis waters, so the 2000 lumens is nice to have.

If the shipping price to Aus isn't too bad, you can look into the Dive Gear Express push video light.

DGX PUSH Handheld Light Kit - Video Beam

If you just want a small decent focus light, the iTorch v10 is an inexpensive option. It has 1000 lumens, a couple of powers of white and red modes. Has a rechargeable battery and charger.

There is also the Sola 800 which is a small light and quite popular with a sealed design and sliding magnetic switch. It's "wet" chargeable.

For much higher-quality lights we have the Kraken 2000, and a special close-out on the Kraken 2800 fpcus/video lights. Which have two button operation, to control several modes and powers along with a very wide smooth beam from a COB LED.

I use a Big Blue AL450 AFO. The AFO stands for "Automatic Flash Off". When the focus light detects the flashes going off, it shuts down for a second or so. This means that you will not get a "hot spot" where the focus light is aimed.

IMHO, You do not need the AFO option. I have used the Sola 800 for many years. I love this light because it isn't too bright. Things in general will shy away from bright lights, which is a great frustration of my videographer hubby. I often do night dives and I see massive swarms of worms and other critters around others who have brighter lights so it is something to consider. They tend to go to the brightest light! The other neat feature is the red light... great for sneaking up on critters. You can even take pictures with the red light on... Strobes easily over power the red. I love that it is rechargeable.

@JackConnick has a great sale on the Sola 800 right now!!!

The Krakens are supposed to be great too....especially if you are interested in video.

Last edited:
If you just want a small decent focus light, the iTorch v10 is an inexpensive option. It has 1000 lumens, a couple of powers of white and red modes. Has a rechargeable battery and charger.

There is also the Sola 800 which is a small light and quite popular with a sealed design and sliding magnetic switch. It's "wet" chargeable.

For much higher-quality lights we have the Kraken 2000, and a special close-out on the Kraken 2800 fpcus/video lights. Which have two button operation, to control several modes and powers along with a very wide smooth beam from a COB LED.

Hi Jack thanks for that. I went on your site but the shipping costs are about 50% of the light costs.

You want a wide even beam. Sometimes with a spot beam it can show up in your photos. A 1000-2000 lumen video light works well. I use a 2000 lumen iTorch light. 450 lumens really isn't very much at all, but depending on your dive site visibility it might be ok for you. I'm in cold dark low vis waters, so the 2000 lumens is nice to have.

If the shipping price to Aus isn't too bad, you can look into the Dive Gear Express push video light.

DGX PUSH Handheld Light Kit - Video Beam

Thanks a lot JMartel - I just ordered a DGX push. The shipping price to AUS was only $21 which is reasonable compared to a couple of pieces of Murano glass I bought recently.

Thanks everyone for your input. I thought this would take some time but your alacrity is amazing.
Sorry about that 'alacrity' but I do love the odd word occasionally.

IMHO, You do not need the AFO option. I have used the Sola 800 for many years. I love this light because it isn't too bright. Things in general will shy away from bright lights, which is a great frustration of my videographer hubby. I often do night dives and I see massive swarms of worms and other critters around others who have brighter lights so it is something to consider. They tend to go to the brightest light! The other neat feature is the red light... great for sneaking up on critters. You can even take pictures with the red light on... Strobes easily over power the red. I love that it is rechargeable.

@JackConnick has a great sale on the Sola 800 right now!!!

The Krakens are supposed to be great too....especially if you are interested in video.
You are right. You do not need AFO. Just like you do not need to spend $300 on a light like the SOLA 800. (My Big Blue cost about $100 Canadian or about $79 US and does what I ask it to do. It also came with a red filter and a YS mount.)

You are right. You do not need AFO. Just like you do not need to spend $300 on a light like the SOLA 800. (My Big Blue cost about $100 Canadian or about $79 US and does what I ask it to do. It also came with a red filter and a YS mount.)

Like you I only need a focus light and light is light as long as it enough and the unit does not leak. The DGX cost 76 US inc shipping which is a good price. WP to 600ft - As long as it goes to 40m I dont care, at my age I will not see 50m again unless something goes wrong. In which case I will be beyond caring if the focus light works or not..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom