For divers with 100+ dives - do you have a "happy place"?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

robint

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
For the more experienced divers out there ---

Do you have a "Happy Place", a place that you know see clearly in your mind as your ultimate dive destination? Is there a place you just can't get out of your mind? The diving and topside were so memorable?

I have been diving for 9 years now, lots of places Carib, Pacific, cold water and warm water, and I finally get it. I had someone tell me once that Little Cayman was his "happy place". He could relate everything down to the smells and sounds, everything was magic for him there. I had never really thought it was possible, I like EVERY place we go diving, there is always something special about it. Each destination has great things that area unique to that destination............. but now I have a "happy place". It is Cocoview Resort, Roatan. We had rainy weather and poor vis much of the week, but it got under my skin and I can't get it out of my head!!!!! The boat diving, the walls covered with sponges and coral, the easy shore diving, the big roomy boats, the A+ dive crew, the gear storage area, the funky rooms over the water, the tropical scenery, the hummingbirds and the bats, the fire dancers and children dancers, the yummy food, the friendly staff.... I just can't get it out of my HEAD!!! :D:D:D

So......... do any of you well-traveled divers out there have the same problem? Is there a place which from now on ALL other destinations must measure up to?

robin:D

Cave diving in the Yucatan. We stay at an absolutely gorgeous condo, with a stunningly beautiful swimming pool, two minutes' walk from the beach. I love the weather, even when it rains, and the cenotes themselves can be incredibly lovely. The sight of Mayan Blue, with the crystal clear water stretching away from you, between walls topped with dense greenery, is so peaceful and so pretty, even if you don't know what lies under the water. The caves are utterly magical, and exiting, to float quietly across the moss with all the brilliant little fish (even the ones that nip your fingertips) is a beautiful way to end the dive. Dinner in open-air seating, at a place like the Italian restaurant in Tulum, surrounded by your buddies and chattering about the day's diving, is the perfect end to the day.

Just writing this, I can hear the birds and smell the jungle.

Cave diving in the Yucatan. We stay at an absolutely gorgeous condo, with a stunningly beautiful swimming pool, two minutes' walk from the beach. I love the weather, even when it rains, and the cenotes themselves can be incredibly lovely. The sight of Mayan Blue, with the crystal clear water stretching away from you, between walls topped with dense greenery, is so peaceful and so pretty, even if you don't know what lies under the water. The caves are utterly magical, and exiting, to float quietly across the moss with all the brilliant little fish (even the ones that nip your fingertips) is a beautiful way to end the dive. Dinner in open-air seating, at a place like the Italian restaurant in Tulum, surrounded by your buddies and chattering about the day's diving, is the perfect end to the day.

Just reading this, I want to book an airplane ticket!

Kauai, Hawaii is my happy place and after I win the lottery, I'm moving there :)

For me, it would in fact be Little Cayman. No doubt it's the best diving I have done and I was married there in 2006 at the Little Cayman Baptist Church. (I guess time will tell if that remains a positive about LC :D) We are going back in just two weeks and can hardly wait. The visibility and marine life to me is second to none in the entire caribbean. My wife even has a video clip on her facebook page I took of her petting one of the friendly groupers there. Probably the highlight of her diving thus far.

I have yet to venture outside of the caribbean to other parts of the world to dive so maybe some day LC will be replaced but for now it's tops with me.

Similans, for the variety of marine life and good Thai food.

Like she said.

actually with some little differences.

so, cave diving in Yucatan in 1996 and 1998. It wasn't called the mayan riviera then.

We were camping with our tent at X-Pu Ha under a palm tree on the beach. The whole bay without hotels (which has changed I heard), only tents and some palapas. We would go do our grocery at a little village nearby called Tulum. There were no restaurants and big resorts at that time.

We did dives in 1996 at Dos Ojos from one eye to the other. We were pretty much the first non explorers (tourists if you want) to enter that cave, at least that's what Buddy told us. Me, my wife and 3 guides (one leader and 2 guides in formation for Buddy). I did the second dive alone with 2 guides. Entered a bit of cave area and surfaced in the Bat Cave wich was virgin at that time (and not exploited like in 1998, with a deck and all)

In 1998, I was disapointed to see it had become so big. So many bad divers breaking the 'mites and 'stites.

So I would say my 2 first dives at Dos Ojos in 1996 are the best memories I have (and I had just started diving 3 years before)

I did some nice dives in Cuba since then that almost equal those but Dos Ojos stays on top.

La Paz for me. We stayed in town and would just stroll down the boardwalk till our noses told us where to eat. The diving was challenging but the sea life was astounding.

Coco View for me, thus far...

Back
Top Bottom