For those use XS Scuba weight on cam bands, how???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i didn't read all the replies, but when i got mine i got one that slides on the cam strap, and the other that is velcro. I just the velcro one on the side where the cam strap would velcro on itself , so i can velcro the pocket over the velcro-ed cam strap

doubt that makes any sense, but that's how i do it.

I use a ScubaMax quick release latching cam band with a pair of OMS weight pockets.
The Latching release leaves plenty of room on each side of the tank and the pocket use a loop to easily slip on.

I just received 2 XS scuba weight pockets

XS Scuba Single Tank Weight Pocket

I was planning to use them on cam band for trim. When I test fit, I find the side connect directly the to buckle fit OK. But the other side doesn't work. This side the band has to loop throught the buckle and velcro on top of itself. With the weight pocket, the weight pocket itself blocks most of the velcro. The cam band cannot securely velcro down. For those of you that use this pocket on cam band, how do you do it?

I am going diving tomorrow, hopefully I can get some quick idea by the time I left tomorrow. Thank you!

I reverse one of my bands and thereby allow one pocket on the left on one band and one on the right on the other band. It works fine with my Oxy 18.

N

Thanks for all the quick reply. I really appreciated. I am using BP/W. The cam band is Dive Rite. It is kind of long compare how I remember from other BCD I have used.

Tank is rental AL80. I rented 2 tank today, one is noticeable narrower than the other, but are AL80. I didn't even know there is a narrow version of AL80 existed.

Moving buckle to one end may with for a normal thickness AL80, but for the narrow version I got today, I doubt it will word. I have to move the buckle next the the wing for the end to be velcro down. No room for weight pocket.

Cutting the DiveRite band may have issue too, the hook side of the velcro is stitch to the bank at the surrounding of the velcro. If I where to cut the end off, the the end will be open (no stitch to attach the velcro to the band at the end).

I will dive again at weekend. Hopefully I won't get a narrow AL80 again. Otherwise, I have to use the hose camp option.

Thanks again!

I don't understand why you need to use two pockets on one cam band. How much weight do you want to put up there? I know you can fit a solid five pound weight into one of those pockets.

I don't understand why you need to use two pockets on one cam band. How much weight do you want to put up there? I know you can fit a solid five pound weight into one of those pockets.

Diving dry on rented AL80's I put 6lbs on my tank - 3lbs in each of two pockets. The main reason to use TWO pockets is to balance the weight out. I wouldn't want 5lbs on one side.

One pocket on the "easy" side of each of two cam straps should work fine if that meets your trim requirements. But using only one pocket will tend to leave your rig unbalanced and cause you to roll during the dive.

My wife and I are both a bit leg heavy so we both usually add weight to the upper cam band to accommodate total weight and trim requirements when using Al tanks. When I use my Mk7 1st stage, it leaves my head heavy so I move those weights down to the lower cam band. I use some homemade straps rather than pockets to attach the weights so the move is quite simple.

Thanks for all the quick reply. I really appreciated. I am using BP/W. The cam band is Dive Rite. It is kind of long compare how I remember from other BCD I have used.

I shortened some dive rite bands to use on my Worthington 40cft tanks, instead of cutting the velcro end I shortened the buckle end. I ran a razor blade between the webbing to cut only the stitching that creates the loop for the d-ring then used a belt slide to make a new loop for the d-ring, this will let you adjust it to any lenght you want using the belt slide.

One pocket on the "easy" side of each of two cam straps should work fine if that meets your trim requirements. But using only one pocket will tend to leave your rig unbalanced and cause you to roll during the dive.

My wife and I are both a bit leg heavy so we both usually add weight to the upper cam band to accommodate total weight and trim requirements when using Al tanks. When I use my Mk7 1st stage, it leaves my head heavy so I move those weights down to the lower cam band. I use some homemade straps rather than pockets to attach the weights so the move is quite simple.

Actually, I think if you were to put way one one side of the cam band only, it needs to be on the "difficult" side to counter balance the weight of the stainless steel buckel. I don't know much the buckel weight, probably 1/2lb each?? Any idea?

Actually, I think if you were to put way one one side of the cam band only, it needs to be on the "difficult" side to counter balance the weight of the stainless steel buckel. I don't know much the buckel weight, probably 1/2lb each?? Any idea?
That buckle is only a couple ounces. You might get away with only 2 lp on one side but I doubt it. Plus you probably want 4 lb on the cam bands to neutralize the nearly empty Al 80.

Back
Top Bottom