Force Fin selection

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hongrace

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
I am a OW diver mainly dive in warm to cool water. I have plans to learn tech diving in the near future. Looking at the vast selection of Force Fins, I am confused about how to choose one pair that is suitable for me. I can't try them out because I don;t know anyone using one in my area and I don't live in US so dive shops do business differently (i.e. they don't rent and they don't accept return if the fins don't fit you!)

There are so many different kinds of Force Fins and I am thinking if I should get one for each kind of diving.

Would Bob or anyone please explain to me the specific use of each kind and how to use one suitable for my use?

Thank you.

hongrace,
Thanks for your post. I would start by reading the New to ForceFin start reading here post and then explore the Force Fin website.

Some other info that is helpful in selecting a Force Fin is your physical make up and experience in the water. What type of diver are you? You gave me a brief starting description and that is good, but are you moving fast and swimming with large animals, shooting Macro photos or just enjoying the reefs at your own pace. Do you do a lot of snorkeling? Some links to read that I recommend before I explain more about the fins are the PRO, FLying Force Fin and the Excellerating Force Fin. Also look at our sizing chart and think about getting the biggest possible fin that your feet can use. Why I say that is you mention that you want to get into Technical Diving and therefore you might be using a Drysuit down the road and with a Comfort Instep you can have one pair of fins for all your foot wear set ups - ie wetsuits boots and drysuits boots. Will post more info later in the day and feel free to PM me or post any more details you might want to share.

hongrace,

Also, fill out your profile. You'd be surprised how many of us are willing to loan you our fins for trial run. :D

Hi Blair,
I used jet fins before but found it difficult to go against current, especially with my heavy camera set. I'm going to buy the Force fin but I still like frog kick for some control.
May I know whether the Pro FF or Extra FF is good for frog kick? or even the backward kick?
Carl

hongrace,
Thanks for your post. I would start by reading the New to ForceFin start reading here post and then explore the Force Fin website.

Some other info that is helpful in selecting a Force Fin is your physical make up and experience in the water. What type of diver are you? You gave me a brief starting description and that is good, but are you moving fast and swimming with large animals, shooting Macro photos or just enjoying the reefs at your own pace. Do you do a lot of snorkeling? Some links to read that I recommend before I explain more about the fins are the PRO, FLying Force Fin and the Excellerating Force Fin. Also look at our sizing chart and think about getting the biggest possible fin that your feet can use. Why I say that is you mention that you want to get into Technical Diving and therefore you might be using a Drysuit down the road and with a Comfort Instep you can have one pair of fins for all your foot wear set ups - ie wetsuits boots and drysuits boots. Will post more info later in the day and feel free to PM me or post any more details you might want to share.

Hi Blair Mott,

Thank you for your time answering my question. You seemed to have a crystal ball when I read your post to my question. I do uw photography on large and fast animals as well as Macros. They are like on two ends of the spectrum. And together with the plan to go into tech, which fin would have such a diverse use?

Thanks again.

h

wow, I am surprised that I just noticed this thread.

to the OP, (hongrace)- as a OW diver there is a huge amount of things about diving that you will learn before you get to Tech diving. One of those things is that a single gear setup is not ideal for all environments/styles/situations etc... Few people use the same setup in warm, tropical water as they do in cold water. Fins are one of these items as well. As an OW diver the Pro Force Fin is a great choice, since you don't yet even know if you will like them or not. If there is a single fin that can do everything well, I would say that is the Excellerating Force Tan Delta. This fin can backkick, frog kick, flutter kick and scull wonderfully. It is my go to fin when I am unsure about the dive because it will do it all.

Carllam2000- Extra vs Pro- for Frog Kicking the Extra is better, for Flutter Kicking the Pro is better, for endurance the Pro is better, sheer power the Extra is better. Although, unless you are competitive swimmer I do not recommend the Extra Force, I recommend the Excellerator or possibly the new Hockey Force. They are very similar fins, the Hockey Force is based on the Excellerator but has some refinements that remove the Force Wings and substitute small water control vanes. Which are not adjustable, but stabilize the fin nicely. Also, this Hockey Fin is a better frog kicker (due to small changes in the flex profile) and but with the loss of the Force Wings looses some of its ability to scull as well. Of course on my Excellerators I prefer the Batwings, although the Whiskers look super sleek on this fin the action of the Batwings in the water is awesome.

wow, I am surprised that I just noticed this thread.

to the OP, (hongrace)- as a OW diver there is a huge amount of things about diving that you will learn before you get to Tech diving. One of those things is that a single gear setup is not ideal for all environments/styles/situations etc... Few people use the same setup in warm, tropical water as they do in cold water. Fins are one of these items as well. As an OW diver the Pro Force Fin is a great choice, since you don't yet even know if you will like them or not. If there is a single fin that can do everything well, I would say that is the Excellerating Force Tan Delta. This fin can backkick, frog kick, flutter kick and scull wonderfully. It is my go to fin when I am unsure about the dive because it will do it all.

For a retail price of only $786.25 :shocked2:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom