Force Fin selection

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Try them - you might find they are worth the price. :dork2:
(you get what you pay for). :mooner:

I'd be happy to try them if you could test drive them like a car. I just can't imagine spending that kind of money to see if they work for you.

BTW, I don't think I have any gear that cost that much. And that includes quite a few "top of the line" regulators from years ago that perform every bit as well as their modern plastic devolutions.

What size boot do you wear - we might be able to get you a "test drive". I have a pair of
Excellorators I could loan you, if they would fit, if you are willing to pay for shipping both ways.

In case you did not notice my avatar - I also dive "vintage" gear that cost way less than my fins and that perform better than the current plastic gear. I don't own ANY modern plastic gear (all mine is metal). But that does not mean that there are some things that can't be improved with modern technology. Fin design and fin material can and do provide improved performance (at a price). But the cost of fins amortized over a lifetime of diving is pretty insignificant. In order to keep old regs going, they require periodic overhaul which should be factored into the lifetime costs - a pair of fins can be a once in a lifetime expense (OK you might have to buy new straps every 10 years :wink: ).

I don't know if Tan Delta Excellerators would work that much better for you - I know they did for me, solving several problems - but to dismiss them just because of initial price could be very short sighted.

I really do appreciate the offer, but I just can't see myself paying that kind of $$ for a propulsion devise that I have to manually power. :wink:

I do have a few plastic regs but that is because I'm not ready to pay the price for a Scubapro Pilot when the D-series work so well. And as far as fins go, I'm quite happy with my home modified old style USD Blade. So, while a better fin as always somewhat interesting, I can't see it really coming into contention at over 10X the price of what I am happy with now.

What size boot do you wear - we might be able to get you a "test drive". I have a pair of
Excellorators I could loan you, if they would fit, if you are willing to pay for shipping both ways.

In case you did not notice my avatar - I also dive "vintage" gear that cost way less than my fins and that perform better than the current plastic gear. I don't own ANY modern plastic gear (all mine is metal). But that does not mean that there are some things that can't be improved with modern technology. Fin design and fin material can and do provide improved performance (at a price). But the cost of fins amortized over a lifetime of diving is pretty insignificant. In order to keep old regs going, they require periodic overhaul which should be factored into the lifetime costs - a pair of fins can be a once in a lifetime expense (OK you might have to buy new straps every 10 years :wink: ).

I don't know if Tan Delta Excellerators would work that much better for you - I know they did for me, solving several problems - but to dismiss them just because of initial price could be very short sighted.

You never know - you might get a great buy on them, if you like them. They probably are going to get sold, since I have a pair of the new "Hockey" Fins (kissing cousins to the Excellerators, but better at frog kicks) and now a pair of Foil Force on order.

You never know - you might get a great buy on them, if you like them. They probably are going to get sold, since I have a pair of the new "Hockey" Fins (kissing cousins to the Excellerators, but better at frog kicks) and now a pair of Foil Force on order.

Your portfolio must be doing quite a bit better than mine. :wink:

I guess it is - I'm way above where I was when the market tanked. :D

Plus our consulting business is going crazy - we are doing our best to put more people to work (just hard to find good ones) and help the economy. :wink:

wow, I am surprised that I just noticed this thread.

Carllam2000- Extra vs Pro- for Frog Kicking the Extra is better, for Flutter Kicking the Pro is better, for endurance the Pro is better, sheer power the Extra is better. Although, unless you are competitive swimmer I do not recommend the Extra Force, I recommend the Excellerator or possibly the new Hockey Force. They are very similar fins, the Hockey Force is based on the Excellerator but has some refinements that remove the Force Wings and substitute small water control vanes. Which are not adjustable, but stabilize the fin nicely. Also, this Hockey Fin is a better frog kicker (due to small changes in the flex profile) and but with the loss of the Force Wings looses some of its ability to scull as well. Of course on my Excellerators I prefer the Batwings, although the Whiskers look super sleek on this fin the action of the Batwings in the water is awesome.

Hi meesier42,
Thanks a lot for your advice.
Unfortunately it's a little bit late. I've already bought the Extra. Hope it works out fine for me. I mainly use it to support me and my Subal housing (about 8.5 kg incl. strobes).
Carl

Force Pros they have all the thrust you will ever need and I have a pair that are 20+ years old and still going strong.

What size are they and how much are you looking to get for them?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom