Force Fins "The ultimate fins" or are they?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have taken them in rough conditions and had no problem with them.
I will have to disagree with you on that. I would advise any diver to try them and if anyone would like to come to Alaska in the near future and tell me what Force Fins can't do, I would be happy to show them.

I have taken them in rough conditions and had no problem with them.
I will have to disagree with you on that. I would advise any diver to try them and if anyone would like to come to Alaska in the near future and tell me what Force Fins can't do, I would be happy to show them.

BRRRR I lived in Fairbanks, Alaska in 1972. I lived in Fairbanks, AK from 1986-1989.

I got a better idea bring your force fins to Okinawa, Japan and we can test them here as the ocean gets 86F in the summer.
Right now the humpback whales are giving birth to their calves.

BRRRR I lived in Fairbanks, Alaska in 1972. I lived in Fairbanks, AK from 1986-1989.

I got a better idea bring your force fins to Okinawa, Japan and we can test them here as the ocean gets 86F in the summer.
Right now the humpback whales are giving birth to their calves.

I'm already working on it, but my schedule is a little hard right now. and MAC flights are hard to come by. Besides, I don't have a set of Pros that fit my drysuit boots.

As for rough conditions, I've done some really rough conditions, things that few would consider diving in, in each of them ForceFins got me through with ease. One of the only rescues that I ever had to do was pulling an instructor and his student out after the current picked up and they couldn't keep up, ForceFins allowed me to being both of them back.

I'm already working on it, but my schedule is a little hard right now. and MAC flights are hard to come by. Besides, I don't have a set of Pros that fit my drysuit boots.

If you come to Okinawa, you won't need your dry suit. I dive a 3mm in the winter and a swim suit in the summer. We did get some 66F water on the Pacific side this winter when I wore my new 5mm.

My dive buddy stated the only reason he bought force fins so that he could use them with his dry suit. What you are saying seems contrary to what he said that one size fits all. So Force fins don't come with spring straps? My dive buddy also said that his force fins sucked for surface swimming. Is their something about having a complete swimming stroke that make them only suitable for underwater? I would rather spend my $400 going toward a new dry suit.

If you come to Okinawa, you won't need your dry suit. I dive a 3mm in the winter and a swim suit in the summer. We did get some 66F water on the Pacific side this winter when I wore my new 5mm.

My dive buddy stated the only reason he bought force fins so that he could use them with his dry suit. What you are saying seems contrary to what he said that one size fits all. So Force fins don't come with spring straps? My dive buddy also said that his force fins sucked for surface swimming. Is their something about having a complete swimming stroke that make them only suitable for underwater? I would rather spend my $400 going toward a new dry suit.

My buddy over there told me water temps are <60F right now??

ForceFins have the advantage of being easily and quickly resized down. They are not really a one size fits all solution, but as close to it as possible. Given that I have a size 13 foot, I wear a XXL with my drysuit boot, add a comfort instep and wear it with my wetsuit boots, I can get away without the instep, but I have a better fit with it. So in that they can be one size for all conditions, not one size fit all divers. My problem with demonstrating the Original for you is that I only have a pair of XL's and they are too small for my drysuit, they fit my wetsuit fine, so once you have wetsuit weather, I will try my best to make it out there, besides, I understand you have beautiful dives out there that I am looking forward to anyway.

As for Spring straps, ForceFins use a bungie setup, that is more comfortable, just as easy to use and they don't add extra weight and negative trim.

Surface Swimming is very easy in ForceFins, the trouble is not the fins for surface swimming the problem is technique. If you kick hard upwards (recovery) the fin will pop out of the water as with any fins, ForceFins tends to excaserbate this due to the reduced resistance of the recovery stroke. So the fix is quite easy, kick down, then relax your leg, your leg will unconsciencously be in the right place to kick. It sounds stupid but it works well and once you have mastered it you move as well on the surface as you do submerged. Most people find it easier to roll slightly to one side and kick if you really need to get somewhere.

Meesier, tried your technique of kick relax, makes for a whole lot less work on surface swims with the SD-1's

I still think all the nay sayers should try a pair, then make judgements. The "I was told" just isn't a good measuring stick. Those that tried one model and have condemned them all are being silly, that's like having a cheesburger at Mcdonalds and deciding that Big mac's suck.

Last edited:
My buddy over there told me water temps are <60F right now??

The water temp in most area's is averaging 70F. I have never seen the water temp in Okinawa <60F. The coldest I have seen in Okinawa is 66F and I dove that with a 3mm and a couple extra layers. I admit I was a bit chilly. Since that time I have a 5mm farmer john that is quite comfortable. Last weekend I was to warm in my 5mm.

All contraversy aside you are more than welcome to come diving with me. I can take you to some unique shore diving sites here in Okinawa. If you want to get on a boat and dive the Kerama's I can make some recommendations for you. You can read the threads in Zen Divers to get more information.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom