Found a near-miss on youtube

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kaerius

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
... and the guy staring it probably doesn't even know it.

YouTube - ZENOBIA WRECK DIVE - "J.R. UNDER PRESSURE"

To me it looks like he's diving nitrox, and he's going down to 42m at one point, according to the video texting. I'd bet his mix isn't as low as EAN 26... more likely EAN 32, which would put his P02 at 1.664.

How do you know he was diving nitrox? Sure tank has wraps but so do mine and mostly they are good old 21% in it.

Even worse, he's diving splits. He's gonna die for sure! :shocked2:

Seriously though, although diving past the recommended PO2 of a gas is not a good idea, a brief exposure is unlikely to be near fatal.

I thought it was pretty cool. I love seeing a guy swimming with his hands and wearing a BP/Wing!!

I thought it was pretty cool. I love seeing a guy swimming with his hands and wearing a BP/Wing!!

I have always said the BC does not make the diver.

How do you know he was diving nitrox? Sure tank has wraps but so do mine and mostly they are good old 21% in it.
True I guess, but it was most likely a rental tank(swedish guy diving in cyprus), and nitrox tanks that have been filled with regular air need to be oxygen cleaned, at least if you're going by the rules. This means that dive shops that fill nitrox tanks with air are either wasting money or not following proper procedure. So either it was nitrox in that tank, or the diveshop is iffy(I'm discounting the wasting money option here).

True I guess, but it was most likely a rental tank(swedish guy diving in cyprus), and nitrox tanks that have been filled with regular air need to be oxygen cleaned, at least if you're going by the rules. This means that dive shops that fill nitrox tanks with air are either wasting money or not following proper procedure. So either it was nitrox in that tank, or the diveshop is iffy(I'm discounting the wasting money option here).

if the air is filtered properly then no it wouldn't have to be o2 cleaned again....as long as it it air that meets o2 standards...then it is alright....

air is technically just 21% nitrox....

if the air is filtered properly then no it wouldn't have to be o2 cleaned again....as long as it it air that meets o2 standards...then it is alright....

air is technically just 21% nitrox....

What he said.

As long as air is O2 compatible no O2 cleaning is needed. Plus only if partial blending is used to get Nitrox mixture tank needs to be cleaned. If shop does stick blending or has banked nitrox tanks don't have to be O2 cleaned. Nitrox band is just for some extra fancy if you ask me.

I just remember old questions from the tests for DM and IDC, where the correct answer what to do if you accidentally fill a nitrox tank with regular air is to have it oxygen cleaned. It may just be a PADI thing.

Might be something to remember for you iztok if your forum title is correct and you're with PADI.

I remember because I got it wrong on the test, my gut reaction was also that it should be fine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom