Found a near-miss on youtube

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't think that was a BP/W, more like a Zeagle Ranger.

Not only was he overweighted, that wing/bladder was WAY too big for his cylinder. Would have been fun to be him on ascent, BUNGEE DIVER!!

Peace,
Greg

Fixed that for you.

And what relevance does the size of the bladder have? It may be bigger than what he needs, but it works the same way as any other bladder...

This looks like more than one dive cut together. The EAN sticker is visible in a few parts, but not the entire vid. It's altogether missing in some parts of the vid. He is also wearing a weight belt in some parts, but not in others.

I'm rather fond of knowing what I'm breathing underwater. Helps prevent either toxing or getting bent

The sticker is telling the world "This tank DOES NOT contain air! " then you go put air in it?? (leaving aside the semantics that air is 21% nitrox) Any hint of a possibility of confusion there?

Why not put Argon in an emergency O2 tank or oxygen in an unlabelled tank?

And while I'm ranting :wink: Do you put a NITROX sticker on both 22% and 99%? I mean,their both nitrox aren't they?

I'm with you. Leave the stickers off, fill, analyze, and label with tape. If in any doubt, re-analyze before breathing.

Found what I think may explain the nitrox in the vid here on scubaboard:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/central-eastern-europe/323445-wreck-zenobia-cyprus-trip-report.html

Apparently at least one dive op there uses EAN28 for zenobia dives, and seems to consider PO2 of 1.5 or 1.6 to be acceptable... EAN28 at 42m would be 1.456, which I guess is not alarmingly over the safe limit.

I personally don't much like it, bending the limits adds unnecessary risk(42m and P02 1.456 are both going into contingency depths).

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/central-eastern-europe/323445-wreck-zenobia-cyprus-trip-report.html

Apparently at least one dive op there uses EAN28 for zenobia dives, and seems to consider PO2 of 1.5 or 1.6 to be acceptable... EAN28 at 42m would be 1.456, which I guess is not alarmingly over the safe limit.

I really wouldnt be that alarmed anyway. Oxtox is a function of exposure time and amount of exposure and a couple of other things that vary from person to person and day to day. I wouldn't plan an entire dive exceeding a 1.6, but I would have no problem with a brief exposure to an elevated partial pressure during a segment of a dive.

YMMV.

I'm with you. Leave the stickers off, fill, analyze, and label with tape. If in any doubt, re-analyze before breathing.
I have some unused nitrox bands stickers and haven't used them because I have not had a good reason to do so. I keep them because the LDS closest to me told me they would not fill my tanks with nitrox if they do not have a nitrox band. I haven't gone back to that shop for a gas fill ever since, but you never know and maybe one day I may have to go back in a crunch. If such occasion ever rose, I would probably just temporarily affix the band with masking tape or something :wink:.

Kaerius, everything you do or don't do should have a reason behind it. Just because PADI says so is not a very good reason. Think about the reason for having Nitrox bands. The commonly accepted reason is so that nobody else grabs your tank and dives it thinking he's using 21%. If that is the case, wouldn't another sticker saying, "This is not your tank! Don't you dare touch my gear!", also accomplish the same purpose. Granted, it would be more verbose, but you get my idea.

In my particular case, it would be very hard to get my tanks confused with anybody else's. They are doubles. One is green, another one is sand blasted. My wing is bright red. I have an 11lbs V-weight and a 6 lbs. P-weight attached to the backplate. The green tank has a big sticker with a "G" (my first name initial). The sandblasted one has a big yellow (yes, shark-flasher yellow) retroreflective sticker were I usually write the MOD with a thick "permanent" marker. I wipe out the marker with isopropanol whenever I need to write in a new MOD.

And if anybody sees an Al80 rigged as a stage bottle it stands to reason that it is not supposed to go in a poodle jacket. You would need tools to take out the stage rigging and make it useful for a poodle jacket. So in short, no, I do not need to label my tanks with a nitrox band sticker.

What is the reason for recleaning a nitrox tank after filling it with air? The commonly accepted reason is that it is assumed that the air station is not oxygen clean. During the filling lubricant or hydrocarbons that are not compatible with oxygen could contaminate your nitrox tank. If you go back to do a partial pressure nitrox fill on a contaminated tank, you could microflash some of those hydrocarbons and produce carbon monoxide which is not good for you. However, if you fill your air at the same station that also does nitrox fills, it is more than likely that ALL their equipment will be oxygen compatible, including equipment used to fill air. Therefore there is no need to go back to cleaning it again. If in doubt just ask the provider and request the paper work.

Last edited:

I personally don't much like it, bending the limits adds unnecessary risk(42m and P02 1.456 are both going into contingency depths).

My agency uses a limit of 1.45 for PO2, based on the DCIEM recommendations. I suspect a lot of the reason for the 1.4 limit is that some dive computers don't allow you to enter 2 digits after the decimal point. 1.456 is still over 1.45, but you have to admit, not by much...
-Craig

Give me some credit, please. Only trying to have a laugh.

Well, the same thought did cross my mind when I saw the title on the video. :wink:

I'm rather fond of knowing what I'm breathing underwater. Helps prevent either toxing or getting bent

The sticker is telling the world "This tank DOES NOT contain air! " then you go put air in it?? (leaving aside the semantics that air is 21% nitrox) Any hint of a possibility of confusion there?

My single tanks have nitrox wraps (they came back from O2 cleaning with wraps, the next time I had new tanks done I asked for no wraps) but I still fill them with air (O2 clean air so no problems here). When I have Nitrox in them they get a mod label after I have tested them.

It's really not confusing at all, wraps or no wraps. I don't know why people are making it so here. My personal preference is no wraps just because I do not see any purpose to have a nitrox wrap (other than for advertising, which is what I have seen on wraps). But I don't see any harm in it either. But I guess my air fills are always O2 clean.

So if a tank has a nitrox band it may or may not contain air.

If a tank has no markings it may or may not contain air.

So what's the point of the nitrox band?

Good question. What IS the point of the nitrox band, other than to make money for whoever's selling it?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom