Found a near-miss on youtube

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just dug out my PADI manual. It says

"Enriched air cylindars should never be filled from a station that does not handle enriched air" pg27

"If you ever need to use air in an enriched air cylindar, take it to an enriched air fill centre. The fill is treated as enriched air in all respects, including marking it EANx21, analyzing the contents and completing all records. If an enriched air cylindar that has been prepared for oxygen service (for partial pressure filling) is accidentially filled from a conventional air source, it must be serviced and cleaned by someone qualified to service enriched air equipment before being exposed to more than 40% oxygen again." pg28

(emphasis by PADI).

So yes you would get this question wrong if doing a PADI exam (and depending on the wording, i.e. you don't have to get it cleaned but you cannot get a partial blend fill until you do).

Yo forget the conditions (see text in bold red). You only need to clean if filled with air that is not O2 compatible.

Now go to original video. Sure tank has Nitrox band but it doesn't mean it is actually filled with it. I have several tanks that have Nitrox band and filled them with air (O2 compatible one).

I just dug out my PADI manual. It says

"Enriched air cylindars should never be filled from a station that does not handle enriched air" pg27

"If you ever need to use air in an enriched air cylindar, take it to an enriched air fill centre. The fill is treated as enriched air in all respects, including marking it EANx21, analyzing the contents and completing all records. If an enriched air cylindar that has been prepared for oxygen service (for partial pressure filling) is accidentially filled from a conventional air source, it must be serviced and cleaned by someone qualified to service enriched air equipment before being exposed to more than 40% oxygen again." pg28

(emphasis by PADI).

So yes you would get this question wrong if doing a PADI exam (and depending on the wording, i.e. you don't have to get it cleaned but you cannot get a partial blend fill until you do).
That's really stupid. Especially, "If you ever need to use air in an enriched air cylindar, take it to an enriched air fill centre. The fill is treated as enriched air in all respects, including marking it EANx21, analyzing the contents and completing all records." After all, how do you calibrate your meter?:rofl3:

Though I analysis anything that comes out of an enriched air fill centre.

Having air in a tank with the stupid nitrox bumper sticker on it is just dumb.

Why? If one doesn't need Nitrox for the dive and only has tanks with that sticker one can fill it.

BTW: Nitrox sticker does not mean tank was O2 cleaned. That is different sticker altogether. It just says that tank might contain enriched gas.

I'm rather fond of knowing what I'm breathing underwater. Helps prevent either toxing or getting bent

The sticker is telling the world "This tank DOES NOT contain air! " then you go put air in it?? (leaving aside the semantics that air is 21% nitrox) Any hint of a possibility of confusion there?

Why not put Argon in an emergency O2 tank or oxygen in an unlabelled tank?

And while I'm ranting :wink: Do you put a NITROX sticker on both 22% and 99%? I mean,their both nitrox aren't they?

I'm rather fond of knowing what I'm breathing underwater. Helps prevent either toxing or getting bent

The sticker is telling the world "This tank DOES NOT contain air! " then you go put air in it?? (leaving aside the semantics that air is 21% nitrox) Any hint of a possibility of confusion there?

Why not put Argon in an emergency O2 tank or oxygen in an unlabelled tank?

And while I'm ranting :wink: Do you put a NITROX sticker on both 22% and 99%? I mean,their both nitrox aren't they?

It says it might not contain air.

No confusion there. You analyze your gas before you dive, simple as that. My newer tanks don't have nitrox bands but are O2 cleaned and do contain air or nitrox depends on the need. If you take my tank and use it w/o knowing and/or analyzing the content you are on your own. I know what is in my tanks at given time. (Right now all have good old 21% nitrox aka air that is O2 compatible, except AL40 that has 32.3% - it has temporary tag and small removable sticker.) When old tanks are in for visual the Nitrox bands will get off and stay off. Only "permanent" sticker is going to be vip/O2.

But back to the original topic. Just because tank has Nitrox band it does not mean it contains Nitrox that is the whole point.

But back to the original topic. Just because tank has Nitrox band it does not mean it contains Nitrox that is the whole point.

So if a tank has a nitrox band it may or may not contain air.

If a tank has no markings it may or may not contain air.

So what's the point of the nitrox band?

I thought it was pretty cool. I love seeing a guy swimming with his hands and wearing a BP/Wing!!

I don't think that was a BP/W, more likely a "tech" poodle jacket the likes of a Zeagle Ranger.

Not only was he overweighted, that wing/bladder was WAY too big for his cylinder. Would have been fun to be him on ascent, BUNGEE DIVER!!

Peace,
Greg

Feet down, constantly kicking, no progress up.

Just noticed the little tag beneath the vid: -

thalassa74 — February 26, 2008 — A video taken when I scuba dive on the wreck of Zenobia lying off Larnaca, Cyprus

It's you, isn't it? Go on, admit it. No need to be embarrassed.

P.S. love the splits, baby :D

Thalassa is Greek for ocean.

Back
Top Bottom