Frameless Masks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aqua-Lung Maui and a Sherwood Mako is what I have as far as frameless goes. I think the Scubapro Trinidad (SnorkelPro) is the exact same mask as the Sherwood Mako. Most likely the same company makes them for both Scubapro and Sherwood.

No Fish:
My vote too.
Add another vote for the Oceanic Shadow/Mini Shadow. This is an awesome mask. I could not beat the price anywhere (got it for free! :wink: )

I have a rather large head and searched for years to find a mask that didn't leak. Several years ago I found the Mares Lirica and loved it (realize its not frameless but I'll get there in a moment).

I was on my third Lirica (purchased about 1 year ago) when I started a trimix class in December. During the course I became anowed with the Lirica because it seemed every time I got into a critical situation during drills the mask would collapse inward on my face and flood. I finally realized the strap on the latest Lirica I had was too short, it was adjust to the last ridge on the strap and still could have been a little looser. I replaced the strap with an old Cressi strap that was an older Lirica and that improved things but by then I had decided I needed another mask.

LDS in Hong Kong had the Scubapro Frameless and a Sherwood Mako, which was similar to the Oceanic Shadow. I picked up both mask and the Scubapro was much beefier and felt better made. I bought a Taiwanese knockoff of the Shadow 3 years ago and used it once and gave it away, now I never buy a copy or knockoff as I definitely believe you get what you pay for.

I bought the Scubapro and used it last week for the first time, did 6 dives over Easter without any problems and know I made the right choice.

Drew

Hi happybuddha,

I'm curious to know more about how the mask collapsed? Is it due to the pressure of the water? I've never head of this happening b4.

I'm also interested to know if a frameless mask would hold up better than a framed mask since the glass just sits on the skirt and I would think that a collapse or a glass blow in is more likely with a frameless mask?

Cheers,

SangP

SangP,

I attributed the mask collapsing to it being too tight (got the same opinion from my instructor) when I say collapsing I mean the skirt would fold under and let water in. It might also have been caused to some extent by breathing out of my nose (although I'm not sure how, but I do this a bit too much).

I had been using the same model for 6 or 7 years without any problem. The mask I was using I had purchased in May in Phuket and had done maybe 50 dives with it before I started having this problem during a trimix course.

Drew

Hi happybuddha,

Ahhh, I see. I don't have a large head, quite the opposit in fact LOL! However, I think that you could avoid this problem with the use of a Neoprene mask strap since they come much longer than the regular silicon straps.
Soft Mask Strap
http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=RP22

I'm using a neoprene stap from a dive shop here and I'll never use silicon straps again.

I'm also suprised that you found the Lirica a good fit cus it fits my face and I don't have a large face.

Regardless, the Scubapro frameless is a great mask and it would seem that the most often mentioned mask are the X Vision, Big Eyes & SP Frameless.

I too took a while to get some mask to fit and I understand your pain.

I would think that masks like the Tusa Visualator, Poseidon Photica, Mares X Vison/Pure Vison or the Cressi Matrix would suit better larger than average faces.

Cheers,

SangP

SangP:
you could avoid this problem with the use of a Neoprene mask strap since they come much longer than the regular silicon straps.

Hi SangP,

Tried a neoprene strap a few years back and I guess it was just a poorly made one as it didn't take long for the strap to pull away from the neoprene where it is stitched. I've been thinking about another one, but was waiting until I dive the Truk Agreessor II in May, I have buddies that bought their's on board and I'd like to do the same.

I bought a X Vision soon after it was released but didn't care much for it and that lead to me buying my 3rd Lirica last year.

Drew

Hi happybuddha,

Give the neoprene strap a go again and get it from decent dealers like Discountdivegear or Larry at scubatoys, as for masks, I'm just glad that you found one of the best mask around and it fits you!

Cheers,

SangP

what is a frameless mask and what is its advantage? srry for the question i haven't heard of it or forgot and wonder what it is any advise is great, cheers
flamebug

Flamebug818:
what is a frameless mask and what is its advantage? srry for the question i haven't heard of it or forgot and wonder what it is any advise is great, cheers

It’s basically a mask that consists of the lens/tempered glass and skirt without any frame (plastic or metal). This reduces the size and weight of the mask and usually makes the internal volume very low.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom