Free air fills? How many shops offer this?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mobster75:
Actually my local shop offers free air (not nitrox) period. I'm pretty sure its regardless of whether or not you buy the tanks from them. But it got me wondering how common that is out there and what the going rate for an AL80 fill would be...

Your shop is clearly trying to bring in business by offering something that costs them money free. It's a great idea and might be a good loss leader to get people in the door, but its also extremely rare. Don't expect to find this just about anywhere, unless you are buying some expensive gear or servicing. Air fill prices tend to range from $4 up to $10 or more, although they are generally in the $4-$6 range.

In MO I've seen air fills from free to $10 with $5 being average. Nitrox fills seem to be $10 to $15 per fill.

We offered free air for the first two years we were open. We just started charging about a year and half ago. I normally only charge people that come in and do not purchase anything else or contribute to the shop overall. It ranges from $3-5 a fill, IF I charge at all. Air is definitely more than electricity! I have the bills to prove it! If it were that cheap everyone would have their own fill station. BUT the flip side is if you keep people diving by offering "free" air , well then it's better for everyone.

One local shop, Force E scuba, recently filled, then topped off, our LP120's with air, for the standard $5 per fill fee. The guy said that's the price no matter the tank (and it was a good fill, too). This dive shop chain seems to be in south-east Florida.

For those of you who are wondering about fill expenses, and different ways LDS's charge, here's one for ya (with links):

My main LDS, Fill Express / Dive Rite Express, charges as per the link prices per cubic foot. (link leads to the current prices)

I buy a "fill card" good for 1000 c.f. Fill Express does not empty customers' tanks (unless told to do so), so we are only paying for what we use each time. Good fills of very clean gasses. :thumb:

Mobster75

I'm pretty sure I know which shop you are refering to. As mentioned he's using air as a traffic builder and it seems to work. From what I've read he is doing a lot to build a community of divers and a loyal following.

He is certainly absorbing lots of labor maintenance and overhead. There are some dive shops here in the northeast that did a huge business during the urchin boom in the 80s and early 90s. That business financed some impressive air fill capital. He may be leveraging that infrastructure to drive recreational traffic. Some day it will need replacement but that can be carried by other healthy lines of business. I have had several dive shops tell me that they could not build what they have today (building, pools, air systems) but since it's bought and paid for they can do a nice enough business maintaining and operating.

Shops like that are worthy of our support.

Pete

Shops around here charge between $4 and $6 as well. On the other hand, if you get super friendly with the staff and know your way around the compressor sometimes you can sneak in and fill your own tanks for free. :)

spectrum:
Mobster75

I'm pretty sure I know which shop you are refering to. As mentioned he's using air as a traffic builder and it seems to work. From what I've read he is doing a lot to build a community of divers and a loyal following. Pete

Correct. It just surprised me how much of what they offer is actually free as a loss leader to getting more people diving or taking classes or buying equipment. I see the model as completely different than any other shop I've been to and as a business person myself, I think that's extremely smart.

I just bought my own tanks (from there) so I guess I'll be making use of the free fills from now on, but they certainly have gotten me to spend plenty of money elsewhere (on classes and equipment) by having great customer service and usually I can't wait for the weekend to see everyone at the shop.

Locally we have an air club that owns the compressor. The LDS houses the compressor, does the actual maintenence work (charging the club account for the costs of oil, filters, etc.), sells memberships, monitors VIP/hydrotest compliance and trains new divers in how to fill their tanks.

The club charges $30 per year for a single diver and $50.00 for a family. The fills are done by the divers from a locked external fill station with dedicated whips for 2250 and 3000 psi tanks.

It works well for the shop as they have access to a "free" compressor and use it to sell any air to non-club members and to mix nitrox. It also works well for the club members as we get 24/7 air fills at dirt cheap prices (assuming you dive much at all.) The club is well funded with the current rates and upgraded to a 17 SCFM compressor and a 16 bottle air bank a few years ago.

A LDS here charges $5 per air fill, but you can purchas "air for life" for $99. This remains with the tank for the life of the tank, so if you sell the tank, free air goes with it. At least one a year they offer this on sale for $69. Quite the bargain if you have them do a lot of your fills.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom