Free Nitrox or low cost

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just got Nitrox certified for my upcoming 3 week trip. Been using the same shop that picks up at Residencias Reef for the past 8 years and have been mostly happy with them but now since I have my own equipment this is no longer a consideration. They charge $12 a tank for Nitrox and when diving at least 15 - 2 tank days it adds up quickly.

Just looking for some other options beside researching all the Cozumel dive shops
I'm funny that way, but I don't think $12 is too much to extend my dive time or reduce my DCS risk (since it can't be both), especially given my advancing age etc. But different strokes for different folks. And so, to answer your implied question, o
ne option would be to dive nitrox only on your second tank.

$12 is what I pay for banked (premixed) nitrox in the Chicago area. I don’t consider that exhorbitant unless there’s a mentality that everything should be cheaper in Mexico.

$12 is what I pay for banked (premixed) nitrox in the Chicago area. I don’t consider that exhorbitant unless there’s a mentality that everything should be cheaper in Mexico.
What do you pay for a tank of air?

After many years of diving on Air I have just relatively recently started using EANx. On my last trip I did 28 dives on Nitrox which with the added cost I could have dived another 4 2-tank dives on Air. I try not to be tight, but I do have to dive on a budget so it adds up. Also, there has been a lot of discussion as to how using Nitrox affects fatigue. My experience is that after several days on Air I have to take a day off. :( This is not the case with Nitrox even diving 4 tanks on some days. :)
Bottom line: Based on how I feel (less fatigued) and the increased bottom times, it's worth the added expense to me; however, I do wish we could get complete fills. Of course, cheaper Nitrox would be nice too. :)
The dive op that I have been using does have a Nitrox tester on board their boats so testing my tanks hasn't been an issue.

Cheers -

I have never - not once - had a short fill. Ever. The guy who owns the op I dive with (Living Underwater) checks the fill on every single tank before it goes on the boat.

I do wish we could get complete fills. /QUOTE]

I can't remember the last short fill in Coz. Guess my op checks 'em before they load 'em as well since most all of 'em come from the same place. Yay op!!! :bounce::bounce::bounce::)

I have never - not once - had a short fill. Ever. The guy who owns the op I dive with (Living Underwater) checks the fill on every single tank before it goes on the boat.
We all check them before loading - but when it's a hot fill they can read up to a couple hundred PSI lower by the time they get to the boat and then it's a little too late - but we always have an extra tank or two on board as well

Someone in an earlier post mentioned analyzers - and yes that's actually a more significant cost that an individual with random recreational use would have. We have an analyzer for each boat, 85% of our divers use nitrox so we analyze a lot of tanks on a daily basis. We replace a sensor or two every month or two, we replace complete units at least every 18 months just as an example.

Think it comes down to personal choice/feelings. Like OP, when I first got my nitrox card I of course had to use it the first dive vacation. Never got free tanks, always paid $8 to $12 each.

In all honestly, using EAN 32 or 36 I never felt any different then using air. But, my computer loved it :)

Now, if I'm doing only 2 dives in a 24 hour period I only need/want air. Diving more then two tanks/day I will fork out the money to give me a safety cushion (mentally).

To OP, check out a few tanks of nitrox with your shinny new cert card because you paid for it. It should also give you experience changing over your computer from one mix to the other.

Cheers,
John

For the record, our cost for nitrox from Meridiano was $10 in a hp 120 tank in 2012. Then I invested $250,000 in Compressors and a membrane nitrox maker in a new facility. We of course make a little money on the nitrox at $10 but its going to be many more years before I get a return on the investment—but we do have reliable fills and NO chance of CO.

Dave

I'm sure your customers appreciate you having 100% quality control as you fill your own tanks, I, for one, prefer ops such as your's (and liveaboards) because they can exercise the quality control I'm expecting (meaning correct mixes and FULL tanks). Meridiano really doesn't have a strong interest in going the extra mile on the quality control, 'close enough is good enough' in their eyes/business model. Entities doing their own fills can easily respond to customer complaints if a short fill issue ever crops up.

Back
Top Bottom