Freediver missing in Eagle's Nest

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Holding the breath for one minute in freediving is the scuba equivalent of a discovery dive, almost everyone can do it with minimal training with a very wide margine of safety.

People die, sometimes driving a car, sometimes exploring caves on a breathhold, it's nothing new and does not mean that driving cars or freediving in overhead is inherently dangerous (and this guy was not in a overhead situation).

Freediving is inherently dangerous, that is why you need a buddy. If you don't recognize that freediving in an overhead environment is the most clear cut example of an inherently dangerous activity - maybe you should take up Grizzly Bear wrestling or something?

Yeah I used the wrong term there, freediving in overhead is no more dangerous then freediving in open ocean, when done properly under proper supervision.

The victim had a guideline and was going vertically along it on his last dive, he would have died in open water just the same as there were almost no safety procedures.

Also there is a question of how friendly is the grizzly?

Yeah I used the wrong term there, freediving in overhead is no more dangerous then freediving in open ocean, when done properly under proper supervision.

The victim had a guideline and was going vertically along it on his last dive, he would have died in open water just the same as there were almost no safety procedures.

Also there is a question of how friendly is the grizzly?

Really? Had he had a hard bottom at a reachable depth with a clear view from the surface one of his buddies could have retrieved and revived him. Instead he was in a cave. Once he blacked out there was no chance of saving him. It's likely no one was watching his dive once he went into the cave.

Your anaylsis is way off. Freediving comes with risk, freediving in an overhead enhances that risk, freediving Eagles Nest is about as risky as it gets.

Edit to add: I don't think you know what Eagles Nest looks like and how you get into the cave.

The way they ran this dive without a proper safety diver the guy would of died just as easily in open ocean. Again, sad but avoidable and it's clear that a lot folks commenting on freediving have not participated in the sport with proper training. Freediving is about pushing limits safely. It is amazing how you learn about what your body is capable of. If this was a properly run dive the guy would probably of been fine. SWB is not a death sentence with a properly buddied freedive, in fact it's very manageable.

If you're free diving without a buddy you are taking your life in your hands and rolling the dice.

Again, sad but avoidable and it's clear that a lot folks commenting on freediving have not participated in the sport with proper training. Freediving is about pushing limits safely.

Maybe competitive freediving is about pushing limits but not everyone does that.

I never took a class but a friend is a freediving instructor and I’ve dived with her back in the day. I solo but impose limits to give some safety although nowhere near 100% it’s a risk me and my girlfriend are fine with at this point in life.

For me freediving is about relaxing and seeing marine life first hand without scaring them away easily. I see much more freediving vs scuba diving. Not everyone Freedive’s to push limits I for one will never do that.

If you're freediving solo you are most certainly pushing limits (in a bad way). You're one random samba away from dying. Free diving solo is like caving with no experience. Maybe you make it, maybe you don't. If there's a problem you almost certainly don't.

I don’t see how being solo is pushing limits. Yes it’s risky and I’ve taking that into account and realize it’s a hazard.

Pushing limits is along the lines of your max breath hold is 2 minutes and you go for 2:30 minutes, or depth I’ve only been to 65’ max put 95% I’m in less than 30’ being solo is maybe careless. If solo is a limit for you so be it to each their own.

YEP !!,,I dive commercial and the statement " The 1st symptom of DCS is Denial " is so true. I see it all the time from ' It's just a rash ' up to ' feel great after O2 '. The annual stats people quote have nothing to do with the real world.
WSo what about the peple who have not had a rash and have not had to clean up symptoms with O2?

If someone comes up and feels positively great after a dive, do you recommend immediate IWR, since a total lack of DCS symptoms appears to be proof that you have DCS?

Out of curiosity, where is the line between 'swimming under water' and 'freediving'? Is it a depth or time things, or a combination of both?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom