Freediver missing in Eagle's Nest

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Any tips on that for those of us with way less dives Superlyte27

Not sure. My Petrel is at 30/70GF. I don't drink or smoke. I don't rush to get out of the water. Once out of the water I don't over exert my self. It might take me an hour to pack up my gear after a dive. Bear in mind, it usually involves several bailout bottles and scooters. Go slow, relax.

I don't have 5,000 dives, but I have a heck of a lot more than most people. I have never been bent.

Only a tiny, tiny percentage of dives result in DCS, and the distribution of those cases is not even. You are far more likely to be bent during decompression diving than recreational diving, for example. it is also apparently true that different people are more likely to be bent than others. If your diving is mostly shallower recreational diving within NDLs, it is extremely unlikely that you will ever be bent, regardless of how many dives you do.

I assume the person who said that everyone gets bent in time will argue that people get bent but don't recognize the symptoms in mild cases, and they eventually recover without knowing it. There is, of course, no way to prove or disprove that, just as there is no way to prove or disprove that we are secretly being watched by invisible martians.

Last edited:
We’re being watched by martians?

...I assume the person who said that everyone gets bent in time will argue that people get bent but don't recognize the symptoms in mild case

YEP !!,,I dive commercial and the statement " The 1st symptom of DCS is Denial " is so true. I see it all the time from ' It's just a rash ' up to ' feel great after O2 '. The annual stats people quote have nothing to do with the real world.

From a freediver perspective there are a few things that stick out here. I've never been to eagles nest so I can't speak to the actual site. That being said, the first thing that stuck out that hasn't been mentioned is that his "buddy" planned to make the dive safer by descending with the deceased. This is against any freedive training as your buddy should plan to dive down on your ascent and accompany you for the last 10m or so as this is the prime time for SWB, very rare to have this happen at depth due to the partial pressure. The second, is that there was no lead line to follow. For any max depth/time/competition type dive it is standard to have a weighted line for the diver to descend/ascend. This seems like an unfortunate but avoidable tragedy and should not reflect on the SOP's of the freediving community at large.

YEP !!,,I dive commercial and the statement " The 1st symptom of DCS is Denial " is so true. I see it all the time from ' It's just a rash ' up to ' feel great after O2 '. The annual stats people quote have nothing to do with the real world.

I've never had a rash, joint pain or any other symptom. I lost my commercial logbook in the great flood of 2017. In that logbook, everything is tracked. Pain, rash, stupid tenders who forgot to fill the air supply compressor with fuel, even a dive to 271' on air when we lost our helium supply mid dive. Anything and everything is very specifically accounted for on a commercial logbook. Especially in the GOM. It took me 12 minutes to hook up a shackle from the crane. That was noted.

We got paid for being under pressure, DCS treatment on an oil rig paid $1/foot. I promise if I was bent, I'd get paid for it. :)

the second, is that there was no lead line to follow. .

There is a 3/8" nylon rope all the way to the bottom.

I don't have 5,000 dives, .

It was actually something like 4832 hours logged (commercially).

I can only hazard a guess on cave dives, but once upon a time, I looked at a three year total of just over 900 trying to catch Jim Wyatt. I think he was almost double for the same time period.

Then I got a rebreather and things got really stupid. On a slow month I'm doing 50 hours underwater. Still not bent.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom