Freediving DCS?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bolts

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hopefully someone can help me out here...

Saturday I went freediving with a buddy. Did a series of pulldowns on a weighted line to increasing depths, starting at about 10m and ending up at around 25m. The number of dives, I'm estimating were between 5-10 or so, I'm not sure of the exact number. Each time it was a relatively slow pulldown followed by a relatively quick finning ascent (mistake #1, I think).

On my final dive to 85ft, I found some blood in my spit, and called it a day. Shortly thereafter I became fatigued, but chalked it up to the exertion of the dives. Then a few hours afterwards, my right ear became numb. This really freaked me out, as I didn't know what was causing it. It lasted about 10 minutes or so, but I did some poking around on the 'net and discovered that I may have been suffering DCS. I was a little tingly in my extremities intermitently. Plus a knee I've recently injured is a bit stiffer than it was pre-dive...

The next day the symptoms didn't improve too much, so I went to a local hospital with a docompression chamber on site. They did x-rays of my chest (looked ok), and after a few hours concluded that I didn't require recompression in the chamber, their reasoning being since I wasn't scuba diving it wasn't DCS. They scheduled an appointment with chest doctor for next week to check out the suspected barotrauma.

My question is, my symptoms are still mild but persisting after 48 hours. Fatigue wise, I feel better, but the tingles still persist to a degree. What should I do? Frankly, I'm a bit freaked out...

I'm not a medical professional, but I read; and yes, it is possible to get DCS from free diving. Find a DCS-knowledgeable physician, perhaps with the aid of DAN, preferably without further delay.

I disagree. It would be allmost impossable to get DCS from free diving.

I am not familiar with the circumstances that can lead to it, but I have heard of the possibility of freediving to lead to DCS before. I also know of cases where whales have gotten spooked at depth (usually because of sonar) and gotten bent from making too rapid of an ascent. Unfortunately, I have more questions than answers on this subject...

I agree with the barotrauma diagnosis, give both your dive profiles and your reported symptoms.

When I certified in 1985, it was a fad topic of the time and I was made aware that "professional" freedivers such as Japanese ama divers and polynesian shell divers could potentially get DCS, but it requires very deep freedives with short intervals over a fairly long diving day to encounter the problem.

I never worried about it as 60' ft is a good freedive for me and a dozen or so dives is about all I am good for. I am no where near the 100 ft plus, do it all day long every couple minutes ama diver class.

However I will not freedive during surface intervals as I figure it can't do the dissolved gas in my system any good to do what amounts to very short bounce dives.

I don't know what is scarier, the symptoms, reading about DCS, or the fact that it's not clear what exactly is causing the symptoms... :11:

http://forums.deeperblue.net/showthread.php?t=66867

There is a case in another forum of a freediver going much deeper than I did getting DCS-like symptoms and getting successful hyperbaric treatment (efattah).

I would think the blood in the spit is likely from stressing your ears during equalization.

The articles referrenced in the above post really makes me think that, as divers, we put way too much faith in 'The Tables' relative to what the medical/diving scientists/experts really understand about DCS. Interesting to say the least.

Daner:
I would think the blood in the spit is likely from stressing your ears during equalization.

I'm guessing it isn't because only when I forced a cough did I see blood. When I tried to suck out the snot out my sinuses (for lack of a better term), there was no blood at all. Could be wrong, I dunno...

I most defenitly agree with daner, the blood in the mask or spit is an ear thing, its pretty common, 1 out of 10 times it can happen according to DAN.

As far as the DCS Goes, its defeitly possible to get bent when freediving, but i'm unsure of what you would have to do. The fact that your ear got numb and you are (were at time of posting) still tingly is pretty freaky to me. It could be whrere your symptoms manifested itself...but I must ask how cold was the water? Is it possible that the tempature was the casue of the ear numbness?

Either way, a call to dan's non-emergency advice line is in order

1-800-446-2671 or 1-919-684-2948, Mon-Fri, 9am-5pm (ET)

Back
Top Bottom