Freediving DCS?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Okay, I'll give this one a shot with something you may not have thought about. We cannot say much about the dives causing DCS, as we don't know the depths, the time at depth, the time intervals between dives, etc. But you said that you pulled yourselves down a weighted line. Is it possible that, in the pulling motion, you may have unconsciously exhaled a bit and lost some lung volume on your last deep dive? If so, it is possible that you may have suffered a lung barotrauma caused, not by overpressure, but by squeeze. It is also possible that, if you had a small tear of lung tissue, you got some bubbles into the blood stream (emboli). This part could have happened after you regained the surface. This would also cause the blood you experienced in the sputum. But if you lost significant gas from the exertion of pulling yourself down, and continued down, a squeeze is possible in my estimation (but again, I am not a doc).

SeaRat

Relief of pain or neurological symptoms upon compression is usually thought the be the definitive diagnosis for DCS.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom