Freediving fins for pool

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fjpatrum

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I've been thinking lately about getting some freediving fins for use on scuba and in the pool, just for leg workouts.

Any recommendations of decent starter freediving fins that isn't from 5-8 years ago like all the threads I've found in my searches?

My fins are Omer carbon medium stiffness but you better have a big pool and I don't know how good of a workout you will get mine are a pretty efficient fin and easy on the legs. I use them drift diving because they are great in current with little effort.

After reading more, I'm thinking something with interchangeable fins so I can try my hand at making my own CF and fiberglass fins of varying stiffness. Anyone know where to find footpockets with or without the fins?

I've been thinking lately about getting some freediving fins for use on scuba and in the pool, just for leg workouts.

I wouldn't use long fins in a pool unless it's a 50m one without any chlorine. Consider something like cressi palau for leg workouts instead.

I use long fins in the pool to train all the time. I think it is very helpful to me. any coach or athlete will tell you that the best training for a sport or activity is to do something that is the same or specific to that activity. If you want to dive with freedive fins - then practice with them. I use freedive fins for scuba and snorkeling.

I found the mako footpockets to be very comfortable.

I use long fins in the pool to train all the time. I think it is very helpful to me. any coach or athlete will tell you that the best training for a sport or activity is to do something that is the same or specific to that activity. If you want to dive with freedive fins - then practice with them. I use freedive fins for scuba and snorkeling.

I found the mako footpockets to be very comfortable.
Thanks, this was along my thought process since I'm considering a switch to them for diving, especially since I'm considering getting into spearfishing. Practice how you play and all that.

I got a set of those Mako Competition Freediving fins that runsongas linked on their Black Friday sale. I have used them for a few days over Christmas, down in FL. I really like them.

But, I also got the Mako socks with them and what I found is that the socks are nice but they are slick as crap on a wet boat deck. I took the fins and socks on a boat one day and then used my regular booties and Atomic fins on the rest of my boat dives.

The fins themselves are better on the boat deck. It was pretty rough seas and I was diving steel doubles as well. With the fins on, I didn't have any major trouble with slipping while shuffling from my bench to the exit. But, getting back on the boat after removing my fins to climb the ladder, but still having the socks on, was not that much fun.

We never get the whole pool, or even a portion that runs the full 50m length. We normally get a somewhat narrow area that is the width of the pool at the deep end. Those fins are SO long I can't see ever taking them to the pool. Swimming across the 25m width would be so quick with those fins on I think I would feel like I was spending half my time flipping and pushing off.

We never get the whole pool, or even a portion that runs the full 50m length. We normally get a somewhat narrow area that is the width of the pool at the deep end. Those fins are SO long I can't see ever taking them to the pool. Swimming across the 25m width would be so quick with those fins on I think I would feel like I was spending half my time flipping and pushing off.

You'll get hamstring cramps from turning them around at the wall. Unless you do flip turns -- I wonder how that would work in those things.

Don't get me wrong, if your goal is to practice swimming underwater in them, you do it where you can. If your goal is to do laps to work your legs and your finning technique -- get a pair of cheap short full-foot fins.

I swim laps all the time with my mask, snorkel and big freedive fins. I can barely swim without this stuff, but there is no problem at all swimming laps with the big fins. I just turn sideways and push off the side of the pool. I practice mostly freestyle on the surface with a mask and snorkel and also a little underwater stuff and then finish up with a 200 kick on my back which really works my hamstrings - especially since I emphasize the downward stroke.

Swimming at the surface with the big fins (face down) tends to concentrate work on the quads and you don't use the hamstrings that much because you are trying to keep the kick underwater... So.. I feel that finishing up with the 200 kick on my back balances out the work load on my legs and simulates the work of underwater kicking better.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom