Freediving fins for spearfishing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dunkins

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey, is there any fins that aren't exactly as exhausting as free diving fins while it has similar use of the free diving fins?

Alot of spearo's that I dive with use Cressi Gara 2000's for several reasons.

* They are long, but not 'leg-hurting-stiff'
* They are not carbon fiber which crack$$ on any boat from being stepped on
* You can abuse & scratch them and they won't break
* You'll really need thin neoprene socks if you do 3 tanks a day.
* I've seen people cut & trim them if needed.
* They have LOTS of power.
* You need to relearn how to bend from your ankles and not use your hips
* They are a great value at about $100+

Carbon fiber give you best performance hands down (low resistance, high return) but you do have to be careful how you treat them.

I use Omer carbon fiber medium stiffness and they are easy on the legs but you have to be nice to them. I also use a full foot Mares Avanti Quatro and they are a great fin as well, they are longer than most standard fins but not quite as long as a freediving fin. Both fins are full foot fins so I got them large enough to use with a 5mm sock for CA.

Hey, is there any fins that aren't exactly as exhausting as free diving fins while it has similar use of the free diving fins?

We could have a huge discussion about your question. But I will try to make it brief.

Why do you feel freedive fins are exhausting? Or more specifically, which fins were exhausting for you?

There is a huge variety of freedive fins and they can vary in the footpocket tendons stiffness, the blade stiffness and also the blade material (generally polymer, fiberglass, or carbon fiber - or some combination of those materials).

Scuba hunters are tough on their fins and having fins on the deck when heavy tanks are moving around can cause a blade to be cracked if people are not careful. Having a polymer (plastic blade) being ruined might cost you $50 or $200, while a set of carbon fins might run $500 or more.

Fiberglass blades are very tough and often you can have a choice as to what stiffness you want (soft or medium or sometimes even hard). If you have found plastic freedive fins too stiff and tiring, then possibly a soft fiberglass blade would be a good choice.

Some of this comes down to personal preference and also your size, strength and how much you are going to be swimming. If you are swimming long distances at the surface for example, then a softer fin will give you more range.

We offer a variety of fins, if someone is looking for a fixed blade fin (meaning the blade is bonded to the footpocket) we offer a very inexpensive fin, which is quite similar to the Cressi Sub model(s).

Freedive Hunter Freediving Fins

If someone wants a polymer (an inexpensive fin) that allows replacement of the blade - these would be a good choice:

If you want a fiberglass blade fin that is soft, perhaps this would work well for you?

Perhaps it is OK to mention one additional benefit MAKO offers: We only sell direct, so if you ever lose a fin or need a single replacement, we are always willing to sell "half a pair". Often dive shops will require the purchase of pairs.

thanks
dano

Thanks, probably over 50% of the serious scuba spearfisherman use the long fins in my estimate.
I watched your webside, really good products and friendly prices :cool: 👍👌

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom