Freediving fins for spearfishing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I
We could have a huge discussion about your question. But I will try to make it brief.

Why do you feel freedive fins are exhausting? Or more specifically, which fins were exhausting for you?

There is a huge variety of freedive fins and they can vary in the footpocket tendons stiffness, the blade stiffness and also the blade material (generally polymer, fiberglass, or carbon fiber - or some combination of those materials).

Scuba hunters are tough on their fins and having fins on the deck when heavy tanks are moving around can cause a blade to be cracked if people are not careful. Having a polymer (plastic blade) being ruined might cost you $50 or $200, while a set of carbon fins might run $500 or more.

Fiberglass blades are very tough and often you can have a choice as to what stiffness you want (soft or medium or sometimes even hard). If you have found plastic freedive fins too stiff and tiring, then possibly a soft fiberglass blade would be a good choice.

Some of this comes down to personal preference and also your size, strength and how much you are going to be swimming. If you are swimming long distances at the surface for example, then a softer fin will give you more range.

We offer a variety of fins, if someone is looking for a fixed blade fin (meaning the blade is bonded to the footpocket) we offer a very inexpensive fin, which is quite similar to the Cressi Sub model(s).

Freedive Hunter Freediving Fins

If someone wants a polymer (an inexpensive fin) that allows replacement of the blade - these would be a good choice:

If you want a fiberglass blade fin that is soft, perhaps this would work well for you?

Perhaps it is OK to mention one additional benefit MAKO offers: We only sell direct, so if you ever lose a fin or need a single replacement, we are always willing to sell "half a pair". Often dive shops will require the purchase of pairs.

thanks
dano
I'm looking to get the competition fins. But are they more flexible than normal fins?
Like a evolve tattoo fin?

I’m not familiar with the other make/model that you referenced. However the MAKO competition blades are moderately stiff. if you want softer blades from MAKO you can select the soft fiberglass blades.

EDIT: I just looked up those fins you mentioned, I think they listed for $120 and up. They look EXTREMELY similar to our Los Ninos fins, which are for women and children. (and we sell them for $55).

I use the cressi gara and replace every 2 years. We do a lot of rig diving and they get cut up a lot. But the extra power from a long fin is appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom