Freediving / Spearfishing Fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JPENDERGRAST

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey everyone,

I'm looking into giving Freediving a try seeing as I love spear fishing. It seems that spear fishing is frowned upon nearly everywhere except for the U.S. East / SE coast but that's a whole different story.

I'm going to HI this December and will be taking a freediving course there. I was wondering if anyone had any fin recommendations. Currently, I own a pair of SP Jet Fins as well as a pair of Mares Avanti X3 fins. The X3's are great for travelling as they are very light and feel great. However, they are a pain when fighting a current. The Jet Fins rock, but they are so freakin heavy (in and out of water). Any ideas of a good fin to check out? Keep in mind that my main objective is spearfishing.. actually, it's living, but my second objective is spearfishing.

So basically, which fin would be best for Freediving / Spearfishing, and why?

Thanks

um i suppose cressi fins should do a nice job and theyre not too expensive either.
if you really wanna invest in it id suggest either one of the force fins freediving models (not the very traditional option) or the captain nemo fins by waterway.

Mares Quattros are excellent fins - full foot, not the open heel. I've traveled with them and they aren't too much of a hassle. Also, HI warm water should really be appropriate with such fins

Freediving and spearfishing are best suited with long fins, IMO & most freedivers.

Mares Razor Pro, Cressi Gara 2000 or 3000 LD are decent low end long fins. These are good for overdrive on scuba too.

The Mares Razor can later upgrade to carbon/composite blades.

Chad

A couple of years ago I got a pair of the Cressi Gara 3000. I think I paid $119 for them. I've been very pleased with them.

A few weekends ago I tried my buddies Omer Ice(?). They had a clear blade. They were stiffer. I thought the foot pocket was much better in these. He paid somewhere around $225 for them. I liked them a lot. Dropping to 45-50 feet was a breeze. Getting back was even easier.

I've dove with my Gara's on SCUBA. You can definately cruise with them, but you really sacrifice maneuverability.

I do travel with my two sets of fins. One for SCUBA and one for freediving.

Think about your mask. A good low volume freediving mask helps out. It surprisingly takes a lot of air to equalize your SCUBA mask

Thanks for the suggestions. I've been looking at a bunch of fins, and I haven't found anything except good review on the Gara 3000. I also really like the edge fins, even though they are more expensive. I guess my questions now are:

Any idea on how I should determine the stiffness of the fin? I've never used long blades and don't know what to expect.

I've read that you can judge a foot pocket by it's durablity. A good foot pocket won't bend over when you hold the fin up by the heel of the pocket. If it does, you will most likely be losing power when you kick. Can anyone confirm this or recommend a good foot pocket?

Also, I guess it's worth mentioning that I have a form of muscular dystrophy which deprives my right leg of some strength. My left leg is strong, but would that make a difference with long blade fins? I can feel a difference when I'm using my fins while on scuba, but it is relatively insignificant.

Thanks for the suggestions. I've been looking at a bunch of fins, and I haven't found anything except good review on the Gara 3000. I also really like the edge fins, even though they are more expensive. I guess my questions now are:

Any idea on how I should determine the stiffness of the fin? I've never used long blades and don't know what to expect.

I've read that you can judge a foot pocket by it's durablity. A good foot pocket won't bend over when you hold the fin up by the heel of the pocket. If it does, you will most likely be losing power when you kick. Can anyone confirm this or recommend a good foot pocket?

Also, I guess it's worth mentioning that I have a form of muscular dystrophy which deprives my right leg of some strength. My left leg is strong, but would that make a difference with long blade fins? I can feel a difference when I'm using my fins while on scuba, but it is relatively insignificant.

I have two small cysts on the top of my left foot, right on the bones. It gets a bit tender after 4 hours in the water. For this reason, I wear a soft footed Beachat fin on that foot and a Riffe longblade on the other. It keeps me from getting lost too...swimming in circles...:D
But if you're in warm water and getting full foot longblades, try them on before buying if you can. Some full foot fins are stiff and not comfortable at all without socks or a bootie of some sort. There are a lot of brands out there. Some $400 or more.
My son has Mares Avanti Quattro full foots. they are really nice but not really "long blades".

It's a shame you are not down here... I'm giving a FREE intro to freediving seminar and demo in the pool at Mac's Sports in Clearwater, FL. at 7 pm tomorrow. It will run about an hour and include a little bit of video too. Safety aspects, performance and possibly the best thing, a chance to try out several freediving fins and other gear.

Just got in some more fins, from Mares, the Razor Pro, and additional freedive gear. Have several Cressi-sub model fins & my C4 Falcons too.

Regarding your question about foot pockets, I've heard that too... but don't agree. Many foot pockets that are soft around the heel & anckle for comfort are firm where they need to be, across the top and bottom of the foot and on the sides. Cressi's, Esclapez and Mares for example. My Omer and previous Biller & Sporasub foot pockets are stiffer and require a 2mm sock or they would be very uncomfortable. It's the blades and ribs that differ the most for performance. Also the strap versions usually don't go on the foot well and lack proper support.

Chad

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom