Freedom Plate Harness Slider Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

txgoose

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
This could probably have been a PM sent to @Akimbo but maybe others are interested. And I am open to others’ input.

Mr. Akimbo,
You have posted about your PVC slider as well as the Sub-Gravity slider. Is there a context where one would be preferable over the other? Am I misunderstanding and maybe they are used for different purposes/goals all together? Thank you for your time.

Context:
- Hoping to be a spring recipient of a FP.
- I like the “hogartian-esque” use of the waist strap to tighten the shoulders/whole thing.
- Never dove a BP/W and/or harness so I am trying to read and understand the threading process as well as folks’ different perspectives on why they do theirs the way they do.
- I am a person that enjoys both a slick finished product as well as a well executed DIY solution. Therefore, if you end up telling me they do the same thing, you are responsible for the hours I will then spend trying to figure out which one I like better.

Again, thank you.
Txgoose

Hi @txgoose,

When threading their BP harnesses most people essentially "lock" the harness in place usually with tri-glides. That works well, especially if one uses stiff webbing. However, there are a few of us who like to have at least a little bit of adjustment in one or both harness loops. There are a few devices, such as the expensive piece of plastic you mentioned, that facilitate easy harness adjustments.

I've found an easy and inexpensive way to allow me to pull about 3 1/2 inches of slack from the waist section of the harness into my right shoulder loop. First, if you have a stiff harness you have to work it over a bit in the area where you want the harness to slide. Generally I like stiff loose, webbing; but in order for this to work I had to fold, spindle, bend, and mutilate that section of the harness. Next I installed a webbing lock clip (DGX Black Plastic {2 in | 5.1 cm} Webbing Lock Clip) on the waist strap to stop the belt right at the point where I like the shoulder loop.

Here you see the waist belt pulled to the "dive" position, i.e. minimum shoulder loop.
IMG_0043.JPG

Unlocking the waist belt buckle allows me to pull slack into the shoulder loop.
IMG_0042.JPG

If I remember correctly, @Akimbo 's method is different in that it allows a more snug harness and uses DIY "rollers" to ease the movement of the webbing. I'll probably steal that idea some time soon. Hopefully he and other's will chime in to give you a few more ideas.

You have posted about your PVC slider as well as the Sub-Gravity slider.

I haven't tried the Sub-Gravity slider, but it will work on a regular plate on doubles. There isn't enough clearance on flat-bend plates for the rollers retained by D-rings, unlike on a Freedom Plate. I would guess that the rollers will slide with less resistance. I find the D-rings useful but YMMV. It is easy enough to try it and see if it works for you.

You have posted about your PVC slider as well as the Sub-Gravity slider. Is there a context where one would be preferable over the other? Am I misunderstanding and maybe they are used for different purposes/goals all together? Thank you for your time.

Context:
- Hoping to be a spring recipient of a FP.

SubGravity slider is for plates where hip slots are parallel. On Freedom Plate, as you can see on the photo, they aren't. My webbing slides in there without any extra devices. So I haven't tried it with the slider; I expect it will at best make no difference and at worst: lock the webbing and prevent it from sliding.

If I remember correctly, Akimbo's method is different in that it allows a more snug harness and uses DIY "rollers" to ease the movement of the webbing. I'll probably steal that idea some time soon. Hopefully he and other's will chime in to give you a few more ideas.

This is a great write-up. I appreciate the time put into it. I was thinking of having the webbing locked behind the shoulders but have it free to move at “the hips” between the shoulder strap portion and the waist portion. That said i like the DGX keepers to keep me from accidentally pulling on the wrong piece and unthreading portions of it. At least while I’m new at it and clumsy.

I haven't tried the Sub-Gravity slider, but it will work on a regular plate on doubles. There isn't enough clearance on flat-bend plates for the rollers retained by D-rings, unlike on a Freedom Plate. I would guess that the rollers will slide with less resistance. I find the D-rings useful but YMMV. It is easy enough to try it and see if it works for you.

Your solution will def be the cheapest to try out first. Assuming I have your success, I will probably never try the Sub-Gravity then either. I also suspect your roller slides easier. Almost a bearing vs a bushing situation. Thank you for the reply.

SubGravity slider is for plates where hip slots are parallel. On Freedom Plate, as you can see on the photo, they aren't.

Makes sense. Thanks for pointing that out.

Back
Top Bottom