Fresh ammo for the bp/wings debate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

leadweight once bubbled...
Argon?

Dry suit divers frequently carry a separate 6-13cft bottle filled with argon to use for suit inflation. Due to it's molecular properties, argon keeps you warmer than air. It is really more of an issue when doing technical dives with helium mixtures. Helium is a very poor insulator and doesn't work as a drysuit inflation gas.

Warm water wimps really have the opportunity to develop good air consumption. At best we have an 80 with 3000 psi when it cools off. Sometimes only a 72. The option of going to big steel tanks as a solution for heavy breathing is just is not available.

Yeah, we don't ever work on air consumption in cold water. These guys who dive the U-853 in 130fsw and penetrate 3-4 rooms in just suck air down like crazy, right NorthEastWrecks? You should be able to do that on a single Al80!

I also never did a 58 minute dive on a short filled steel 72 from 25-75-25 feet, right KKM and Rax?

Plus the conditions are ideal so there are no distractions if the diver wants too sharpen his skills.

Because when the feces hits the fan there won't be any distractions, right? Let's train so if something goes wrong in perfect conditions, we'll be ok! That's real S-M-R-T

AaronBBrown once bubbled...

Dry suit divers frequently carry a separate 6-13cft bottle filled with argon to use for suit inflation. Due to it's molecular properties, argon keeps you warmer than air. It is really more of an issue when doing technical dives with helium mixtures. Helium is a very poor insulator and doesn't work as a drysuit inflation gas.

Yeah, we don't ever work on air consumption in cold water. These guys who dive the U-853 in 130fsw and penetrate 3-4 rooms in just suck air down like crazy, right NorthEastWrecks? You should be able to do that on a single Al80!

I also never did a 58 minute dive on a short filled steel 72 from 25-75-25 feet, right KKM and Rax?

Because when the feces hits the fan there won't be any distractions, right? Let's train so if something goes wrong in perfect conditions, we'll be ok! That's real S-M-R-T

Aaron:

You shouldn't have needed to explain what an argon bottle is to such an experienced diver. Shame on you for patronizing him.:) After all, he could just ring up Alex. Didn't you hear that they are bestest buddies?

To be fair, I've only been in 3 rooms deep on the sub and that was in doubles. But that's nothing compared to the skill requred to execute a 60 fsw open water reef in calm water.

You mustn't mock the skills of those warm water weenies. Look at how many people die or get bent on those reef dives. Compare that to the number who die doing tech dives up here.

Since so many more die down there, reefs must be more dangerous, right???

My G-d, man, don't you realize we are dealing with the GI3 of poodle jackets!!!!

Northeastwrecks once bubbled...
My G-d, man, don't you realize we are dealing with the GI3 of poodle jackets!!!!

LOL! That was great...

Northeastwrecks,

I am not going to dignify any of your poorly chosen remarks by responding to them.

VTY

-Ron

PS, I don't carry a snorkel when I dive.

Some of you may have seen the latest issue of Alert Diver which reported that the injury rate for cold water wreck divers was four times the injury rate for all reported divers including the cold water wreck divers. Either this means that cold water wreck diving is significantly more dangerous than all other types of diving, or that this group of divers is screwing up and needs more training.

My remarks were not poorly chosen, as they have had their intended effect.

Besides, I suspect that you are busy laboring over a plan for another risky 60 foot reef dive. Slapping those tank weights here and there must take time, after all.

Or are you and one of your buddies, like Alex, pondering the next edition of the DM manual. Someone as familiar with it as you must be a real asset to the editors.

As to the alert diver article, if it exists, I still don't see the relevance. However, since you're so good (after all, someone who can spell Alex must be one of the best), why don't you come on up here and train us.

I'm sure that we would all benefit from the experience of someone who specializes in warm water weenie reef dives.

Perhaps you could show us how to use trim weights to compensate for poor skills. Or the best way to match gear colors between manufacturers. Or the best way to mount an AL80 when not using it as a stage bottle. Maybe you show us how to best entangle yourself using a retractor.

Yeah, come on up and show us your stuff. Give me plenty of notice so that I can bring the "World's Funniest Home Video" people to photograph your expression when you see what real diving looks like.

I'd also like to talk to you about what its like to dive in places where the natives steal your stuff, live like sewer rats and tell you what type of gear you can use. Boy, that must be fun.

I found out who stole my name!

It was RavenC!

Occassionally, I use her 'puter to check the board if I'm over at her house and she gets busy doing something... I think it was a cookie issue. She said that she posted, noticed that it was posted under my name, and then she tried to go back and delete it... But when she couldn't, she just edited it to say, "HMMMM." :D Funny. Now I'm a whole lot less paranoid. :D

Someone openly wondered above why we all visit these boards... I don't know about everyone else, but for me it's all about being able to discuss things with other divers. There's a tremendous amount of information to be learned and it's always nice to be able to share your own experiences. I would never have learned about DIR without this board! There's the technical help, too... You know, like, "Hey, I have this problem, can someone please help?" There's a lot of reasons why I visit this board and spend so much time on it.

But the thing that really keeps me coming back is the soap opera! It gets entirely too addictive when there's a good debate going on! That, I think, is what keeps me here more than anything else!

...So all of this discussion is good... But I see this getting a little nasty. I'm not a regulator, and you can see from my post above that it doesn't bother me if a thread that I started gets off topic or not... But I would like to NOT earn the reputation of starting threads that get all nasty-ugly. Therefore, as the starter of this thread, can I please ask you guys to keep this discussion a little more corduial? Debate is good, but attacks are not. Arguing is fun, but personal vendettas aren't.

...Not that I've seen anyone with a personal vendetta. :D

I guess what I'm saying is, "Please be nice." Your point about someone else being a putz is taken more seriously by everyone when your credibility is high.

Think, "WWUPD?" ("What would Uncle Pug Do?") Lol!!

Northeastwrecks once bubbled...

I'd also like to talk to you about what its like to dive in places where the natives steal your stuff, live like sewer rats and tell you what type of gear you can use. Boy, that must be fun.

That looks like an ethnic slur to me.

leadweight once bubbled...

That looks like an ethnic slur to me.

Then get your vision checked and stop trying to make this into something that it isn't.

Instead, go play in a puddle somewhere. Just make sure that you bring your trim weights.

Happy Easter Northeastwrecks.

Smell the coffee.

-Ron

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom