Frustrated Being a Girl!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jesstotheocean

Contributor
Reaction score
My name is Jessica & I just bought all my gear and I want to dive everyweekend! My husband doesn't dive (and just can't afford it right now) and is semi-busy on the weekends. WELL because I'm a lady (and all the weirdo's out in the world), I can't just find a buddy on this board (because there mostly men) meet up with them and dive on a Saturday, camp and then dive on Sunday with them. I have to wait until my husbands schedule is free so he can drive to the quarry with me and stay overnight with me. Well even when we can do that I feel like i'm draggin him around. Does anybody else have this problem?

Hi Jessica!

My husband doesn't dive either. Luckily, a group of us meet i SoCal once a month to dive. By doing that I have met some great guys to dive with. (Met some great women too.) I now feel comfortable going anywhere with them. My husband has met them and likes them too. Stick with it. You'll meet some buddies soon. Now I say, my husband golfs, I dive and we meet for dinner!

well, i don't have a husband, but i'll second ann marie in saying go to a few get-togethers with a diving group *with* your husband and then see if you both feel comfortable to go diving with people from the group when he's not available. i can see discomfort for both of you going alone to dive with a totally anonymous buddy, but it could be easier if you said 'i'm going diving with joe that we met at the cook out - you remember, the (bald, heavy, skinny, tall, tattooed, whatever) guy who was over by the burgers' and he said 'oh, yeah, he seemed nice & his wife was quite a talker'... that might be better for you both.

I'm also female but luckily my husband dives though I don't get to go as often as I would like. You're also in Ohio so you have probably been to Gilboa or White Star, the Great Lakes Wrecking Crew here on the board is a great group of people both male and female and some of them are usually diving somewhere every weekend. They are not a bunch of wierdos, I bunked in a trailer with men I had just met at the first meet-n-greet I attended (my husband was not there). I can understand what you mean by feeling like you are dragging him around though. Sometimes I feel like I'm dragging my husband to meet my friends when I bring him to the meet-n-greets since he's not on the board :) He's a good sport about it though and seems to enjoy the outings as much as I do and he doesn't mind when I go on weekends when he has other things scheduled.

You're always welcome to get ahold of me and see if I'm free for a dive weekend :)
Ber :lilbunny:

Well, I am married and my hubbbie dives, but he just isn't as into it as I am. He plays in a band and his weekends are often busy with that, so I am often on my own. I had a get together her in wv not so long ago with a group from NC and my hubbie went to that with me, I have since been going with that group with and without hubbie. It seems to work out fine. He never worries.

I live in WV, but I work very close to the Marrietta, OH border. If you need to get inot a group you are welcome to join in with me. I have been wanting to try the Circleville Quarry, I understand it is only 2 hours from me.

I know how frustrated you are though. Greg has his own stuff and it is very hard to coordinate so that we do things together. He hates it when I just sit at home and wait for him though and he is very happy that I have found something that makes me happy. Diving has really been good for us as it gets me out of the house now, rather than just living vicariously through him.

Get out and go. Don't be afraid just because you're a girl. Just be careful and be cautious, but never just sit back and let life go by.

Paula

FWIW I have as many female dive buddies as male. I have been on overnight dive excursions with women divers and always with my wife's full consent.
I like deep tech dives but I also enjoy slow methodical macro dives. I find women understand those dives better than guys hence my choice in dive partners.

They'll censor everything you say, but you can hook up with a good dive buddy there.

wedivebc:
FWIW I have as many female dive buddies as male. I have been on overnight dive excursions with women divers and always with my wife's full consent.
I like deep tech dives but I also enjoy slow methodical macro dives. I find women understand those dives better than guys hence my choice in dive partners.

Jessica,

Check with your local dive shops to find out what kinds of clubs are in your area. A lot of clubs have "buddy days" at the local dive sites, where you can meet others who are looking for a buddy. The nice thing about finding a buddy that way, is that they're known by others who frequent the dive shop and word speads quickly about anyone creepy buzzing around. I've met a lot of great people, male and female, this way. So far, I haven't had a bad experience.

Good luck,
J.

jesstotheocean:
My name is Jessica & I just bought all my gear and I want to dive everyweekend! My husband doesn't dive (and just can't afford it right now) and is semi-busy on the weekends. WELL because I'm a lady (and all the weirdo's out in the world), I can't just find a buddy on this board (because there mostly men) meet up with them and dive on a Saturday, camp and then dive on Sunday with them. I have to wait until my husbands schedule is free so he can drive to the quarry with me and stay overnight with me. Well even when we can do that I feel like i'm draggin him around. Does anybody else have this problem?

hey little girl. I have some candy for you.. <evil grin>

Hey, come to the GLWC meet and greet with your husband. Both of you will meet a lot of really nice people. I'm sure you'll be able to find some people of either sex that you and your husband will be comfortable with.

There are a lot of nice people both male, and female at the dive sites. Of course there are those guys who are quite lecherous.. like me!... :devil_2:

jesstotheocean:

Being single AND diving every weekend down here in Florida has presented me no problems...The buddies I find out of the Florida Conch's have been WONDERFUL !!!!
(Scubaboard , of course)

And yes , they have been mostly men ... No problems there...

I have learned SO MUCH from these Florida native divers down here...My thanks to them all ...

Jean

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom