Full Certification or Refresher?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gypsykim

Registered
Reaction score
I'm very excited to get back into diving and so glad I found this board.

I think I already know the answer to this one, but I'm going to ask it anyway. I got my PADI certification about 25 years ago, but haven't done any diving in over 20 years. Money, time and responsiblities have kept me away. If I were to use the new book and review it cover to cover, could I get away with just a refresher course? Or, should I go for the whole course as though I've never been diving?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Yes in answer to your question, you should do a 50 dollar (most places) scuba review ... one pool session to get your skills back in order. If you also plan to dive locally, you may want to find an experienced local diver in your area to go with.

BTW, PADI has a specific set of materials for the review, in fact it's on CD now too :)

Hi there and welcome back to diving. As far as certification is concerned, you're certified for life. Your PADI cert. card doesn't expire. There has been much debate over this exact issue as to whether have cert. cards expire or not and I won't go into that issue.
Now, depending on your comfort level, it would probably be advisable to at least do a refresher with your LDS. If you have the money available to do the entire course it definitely wouldn't hurt.
You didn't mention how many dives you had done before you quit diving...that could be a factor also.

As an instructor, I do a lot of refresher classes. For the most part, it's 1 pool and 1 class. Cost around $50

A lot has changed over 25 years, but the skill of diving is like riding a bike...you never forget.

In class, I emphasize the changes...BC evolution, computers, better wetsuits, dive table differences etc.

If you elect to repeat a course ... you will be required to do at least 4 class session, 4 pool and 4 open waters...plus take a written test. This is costly and time consuming

Welcome back.
If I were you, I would make my decision based on my comfort level.
I can get away with just refresher course if I am comfortable enough; otherwise I would take the entire course again.

Dive safely and have fun.

cudachaser once bubbled...
...the skill of diving is like riding a bike...you never forget.

I'd be inclined to disagree here. IMO this is a bad metaphor for diving. Swimming might be more like riding a bike, but the steps and routines invoved in safe diving can be completely forgotten. Whereas with a bike you don't need any assistance you just sit down and start peddling again.

Anyway I believe we do agree a refresher is a good idea.

I think I would be comfortable with the refresher course, but since my husband will be taking the complete course, it might be fun to do it together. Still can't decide if we should do the classroom/pool here and then the open water on our vacation, or the whole thing in Mexico.

Any advice?

Can't wait to get back in the water!:D

Do the whole class.

I have had students who were comming back after being away since the 70's or whatever. It wasn't a matter of refreshing skills because some had never used a bc at all. They were learning skills like buoyancy control for the first time.

I have one guy that's dived with us a lot and it took forever to get him to stay off the bottom. He still wanted to dive like he didn't have a bc.

Gypsykim once bubbled...
I think I would be comfortable with the refresher course, but since my husband will be taking the complete course, it might be fun to do it together. Still can't decide if we should do the classroom/pool here and then the open water on our vacation, or the whole thing in Mexico.

Any advice?

Can't wait to get back in the water!:D

Personally, I wouldn't want to be stuck in class on my vacation. I'd just do the OW down there which would leave you more time to dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom