Full Certification or Refresher?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was in the same boat.
300+ dives between 1973-1977.
0 dives 1978-2001.
I chose to get the PADI OW CD and complete it on my own,
Then my Instructor checked me out in the pool, reviewed all the Knowledge reviews, gave me the test.
We then made our 4 Open water dives & I felt very confident,
This can only work well in a "private" class deal.

There have been so many changes in equipment, I felt the extra time was well spent.

I am not an instructor. But I am somebody who asked myself that very same question not that long ago.

Diving is not a cheap sport. But if you think about the money you spend on equipment and travel, the cost of an OW class is money well spent. Your training is a piece of life support just like buying a better regulator. Unlike miniature golf, you don't get a do-over if something goes wrong.

Although the certification is lifetime, I took the plunge and hired a private instrcutor to go through the OW course again. I also changed certification agencies.

I paid a little more for a private instructor but had 100% of the instructor's attention. He was able to fine tune areas that needed some work and moved quicker through other areas that did not need that much time. He was able to focus on my skills and abilities which I believe made me a better diver. A lot HAS changed over the years and going through the whole OW course again made me a more confident diver. Being more confident I think I am enjoying diving more.

I am happy with the decsion I made. Good luck with your decsion

That is exactly what we have been saying.
Money should not be the issue here; it all depends on the person confident.

Re-cert is a great plan. I dove in the 70's, then didn't for 15 years. I went to a resort and did the resort course, when I came home I did a complete OW PADI course. Now 300 dives later I'm certain that anyone who has been away for awhile should do a refresher. I meet people who have been certified for years ( but haven't dove for many) on dive boats. They don't know how to set up their gear, they aren't weighted properly, they can't get under water and flop around at the surface taking time away from the rest of the group. Get re-certified and you'll feel confident and best of all, look good and perform good!

Just finished my refresher after 15+ years (about 200 dives). There WERE some major changes, many of which I learned before the class by reading posts on this board. I was trained NASDS (now SSI) and there were no safety stops in the 70s. Also, we were trained to buddy breathe, not share air. We had BCs (actually, I had an AT PAC) and the buttons were in different places.
After 5 mins in the pool, I DID feel like riding a bike - it all felt so natural... and GREAT to be bubbling again. Going through the old clear mask, reg, ditch gear, etc. felt just like yesterday. Sharing air is easier that buddy breathing. But it was good to have pool time to get used to the new gear.
I desided to get back into it for a vacation dive, but now I'm hooked again and plan to stay into it. I took the refresher course so i can dive on vacation in July. But now that I'm hooked again I'll have several dives before I leave.
At the refresher I had my own instructor, which I recomend, but entered the pool at the same time as a class on their final pool dive before OW. At the end of the class, I still had about 500psi more that the best of the students (all youngins' in their 20s). I had fallin right back into that zen-like breathing zone... man it was great! If I had the time, I'd take the OW class again just for the fun of it and meeting new divers. I plan on taking advanced classes in the future. And diving every week (they dive local every wed night).
Enjoy!

I was NAUI certified about 15 years ago and did not use it much. My uncertified girlfriend and I decided to go diving and I got recertifed SSI with her. It was worth it in my opinion since I had forgotten just about everything. We have since gotten our advanced open water (PADI) and are planning Nitrox next.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom