Fun things Newbies do

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Earlier this year I was at a quarry descending to a sunken trolley, when at 35 feet I noticed a pair of gloves floating past my face so I grabbed them. Turns out they were mine and I forgot to put them on. I had them tucked in the chest strap of my BC before the dive. Didn't notice I hadn't put them on because the water was so warm, but once I hit 50 feet I would have known because of the thermocline.

First time diving in the keys, not used to so many boats moored along the same reef. Swam about 40 minutes out against the current, and about 25 minutes back, apparently overshot the correct boat and ended up almost boarding the wrong dive boat! :) We had to get towed back to our boat... everyone was already topside, with gear broken down, waiting for us. :missing:

OK, since my wife isn't on Scubaboard I can tell one on her.

We went to Crystal River, FL to dive with the Manatee. What a zoo. There must have been 100 pontoon boats round "the hole" and countless divers. Being intrepid newbies we weren't going to let that keep us out of the water. We jumped in and swam to the descent location. As we descended it became more and more crowded. It was like a sardine can. After a while I could not locate my wife and finally decided to surface. She was there with a strange look on her face. She had lost track of me but found someone with gear similar to mine. She pulled on my (His) leg and signaled that she wanted to surface. After several tries without a proper acknowledgement, she decided to use the wifely privileged tact of grabbing and squeezing my (his) crotch. You can imagine her surprise when she finally got mask to mask only to discover it was not me. :rofl3: She said he looked a little shocked. I'll bet he did.

Insta-Gator, LOL, that was really funny! :)

For me, the most common mistake is forgetting to set the correct nitrox mix with my second dive. My computer (Sherwood Wisdom) sets itself for 50% and gives me high pO2 warnings. Fortunately I dive a Tec2G on my wrist, too, so at least I can finish my dive in peace.

OK, since my wife isn't on Scubaboard I can tell one on her.

We went to Crystal River, FL to dive with the Manatee. What a zoo. There must have been 100 pontoon boats round "the hole" and countless divers. Being intrepid newbies we weren't going to let that keep us out of the water. We jumped in and swam to the descent location. As we descended it became more and more crowded. It was like a sardine can. After a while I could not locate my wife and finally decided to surface. She was there with a strange look on her face. She had lost track of me but found someone with gear similar to mine. She pulled on my (His) leg and signaled that she wanted to surface. After several tries without a proper acknowledgement, she decided to use the wifely privileged tact of grabbing and squeezing my (his) crotch. You can imagine her surprise when she finally got mask to mask only to discover it was not me. :rofl3: She said he looked a little shocked. I'll bet he did.

:rofl3: That's great!

On our honeymoon, I lost a fin that bobbed to the surface. My husband didn't see it, and started chasing a gal in pink gear, wondering why "I" wasn't waiting on him. He grabbed her leg, and got the dirtiest look!!!!

I was diving in Gilboa, and as some of you may know, they have lines going between the different things down there. We were going thru the "forest", our lead in front of me, and another person behind me. I managed to get caught on the lines twice! Once, I saw it, lifted it over my head, and it snapped down just in time to catch my tank. The other one I didn't even see, but I hit it right on the top of my head. It was hilarious for myself and the guy behind me, who saw everything!

Back when I was still in the snorkel club, I forgot to switch to my regulator and descended while still breathing from my snorkel. Learned how to find my power inflator really fast! Reason #327 to dive without a snorkel.

Back when I was still in the snorkel club, I forgot to switch to my regulator and descended while still breathing from my snorkel. Learned how to find my power inflator really fast! Reason #327 to dive without a snorkel.

Me, too, via a giant stride with snorkel in mouth. A major reason why I don't wear a snorkel anymore. My other embarrassment was, after checking my gear, I turned off the air and proceeded to forget I did so until I was half way to the water from a giant stride and that first intake of breath just wouldn't work.

I jumped off the boat w/o fins. Didn't realize (no need to kick then) until I was about 10ft under and turned in horizontal position and wanted to head into desired direction :)

Have done the same thing, but noticed something wasn't quite right as I looked down and saw my booties during the giant stride. Very hard to pull that foot BACK onto the boat once you've committed to entering the water.

:-0

I'm embarassed to admit that on one of my early dives, right after adding a camera to the list of stuff I was trying to manage and keep track of, I completed the 4th and last dive of a great, but tiring, day in the keys. After climbing back onto the dive boat and taking off my gear, and securing the tank - I realized my camera was missing. Since the one I was using was a simple point-and-shoot digital in a waterproof housing, it had been clipped to a D-ring on my BC. After carefully checking the camera bucket and looking through my stuff, the safety diver made a quick trip to the bottom to see if it was right under the boat - no luck. We had a long trip back to the dock and I was kicking myself all the way back. The captain called all the other dive boats in the area on the radio to be on the look-out for a lost camera. After I had finished rinsing my gear and stowing it in my truck, a crew member called me back to the boat - I had dropped it in in the mask bucket as I climbed back on board - instead of the camera bucket - the mask bucket was so turbid from all the defog and crap that it was milky and you couldn't see the camera lying at the bottom. DOH! Apparently the water in that rinse bucket was as opaque as my thinking when I climbed back onto the boat tired and cold. I seriously did not remember unclipping it and dropping it in there.

Back
Top Bottom