Fundamentals 1 & 2?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tech 40 does as well.

Interesting, thanks.

Can't find anything about deco/stage bottles in my instructor guide......and I think tec 40 is more comparable to an/dp as there is a PADI discover tec.

Robs course and Seahorse seem to be 2 anomalies in a very large pool.

So, NAUI anyways.

So I guess this shows that fundies are fundies and intro to tec is a mixed bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Yes, they are very comparable.

In my experience they weren't even in the same universe despite having been designed to achieve same goals. There are no teamwork components in ITT. The theory module is a bit of a joke.

The biggest difference is that ITT informed me that I was expected to donate my long hose whereas Fundies beat me into actually doing it, thirty times, halfway through shooting an SMB, upside down while swimming backwards in sulphuric acid. Same with other skills.

YMMV.

Last edited:
AJ, what intro to tech courses include stage/deco bottles and gas switching?

iantd adv. nitrox or ART. A little decompressiondiving, gasswitching, and in art some trimix.

iantd Essentials is more or less like fundies but not required yet for techcourses (recommended), it can be taken by rec and tec divers to improve skills, trim, bouyancy and propulsion techniques. Using reels is included too (that is not in fundies, but in essentials there are some no mask skills following lines).

ise has a boe (basics of exploration), that is without stages, more or less same as fundies, but required for techcourses with ise.

Interesting, thanks.

Can't find anything about deco/stage bottles in my instructor guide......and I think tec 40 is more comparable to an/dp as there is a PADI discover tec.

Robs course and Seahorse seem to be 2 anomalies in a very large pool.

So, NAUI anyways.

So I guess this shows that fundies are fundies and intro to tec is a mixed bag.

Tech 40 does include one gas switch, donning and doffing deco bottles, and NOTOX drills. I call it an intro to tech course because it doesn't add depth to your certification limits and gives you 10 minutes of unaccelerated back gas deco. 10 minutes can be the difference between a liberal and conservative algorithm. Its primary purpose is to teach you to think like a tech diver.

Ya, I agree with that.

People train and learn differently and adding flexibility will be a good thing. When someone says he likes fundies to be "bootcamp" with elevated stress, physical exhaustion, because it improves his focus, there will be others who will manage much better in a 2 part course. I don't think GUE wants it to be a bootcamp in the first place... it's just that there is so much to show, teach and the difference in level of experience/training can be so big that it can become such an experience.

When I did fundies in 2010 the make up of the team was (me: 300 dives knowing nothing about GUE but having dived a hog rig for half my number of dives, 2nd team member a French Legionair with 2000+ dives as a padi instructor, 3rd team member, 180 dives with no experience in drysuit-doubleset-etc). We didn't know each other, and we all came in with different goals. We ended up being a team and 1 getting a tech pass, 1 getting a rec and 1 a provisional. I'm sure if this course was split up that the provisional guy would have also received a rec pass after some time to digest and train between the 2 parts.

My wife will probably take fundies this or next year... I think she'll do better in a 2 part class, because she learns better in smaller portions. Specially since diving is physical, some do better translating what is being said and shown by an instructor than others (ps: learning better in small parts does not say anything about your ability to learn. My wife is much brighter than me).So adding this flexibility in the Fundies course makes sense. Some people can take the full course others the 2 part course. Maybe it's even possible to start the full course and if the instructor sees that there is just too much to manage, he can split it ad hoc (don't know)?

However I do think if someone takes the fundies in 2 parts that they actually train the skills using the tools giving during part 1 before progressing to part 2. Otherwise the first day of fundies 2 will just be a re-hash of fundies 1 and there won't be enough time to complete the course.

So I think for fundies, flexibility is good. Tech courses on the other hand need to remain 1 course. Both from practical point of view (many need to travel to get to a spot to do C or T), as from didactical point of view. The difference in experience/ gue skill is much lower when starting these courses and it's much easier for the team and the instructor to just get on with it.

I've done both C1 and C2 with total strangers, but because we passed fundies our basic skills, communication (both passive and active) procedures, etc were on the same level..so it was in that regard easier. This also relates for me to the biggest plus in GUE diving.. you just go somewhere and you can do already crazy dives with someone you just met.

Last edited:
People train and learn differently and adding flexibility will be a good thing... <snip> ... there will be others who will manage much better in a 2 part course.
+1. Wifebuddy and I were very much in the latter category. If anything, our experience was even more extreme on the smaller chunks+more days scale - Fundies part 1 was done over 4 non-consecutive days (pool dives on Jul 11, 12, 14, ocean dives on Jul 26).
Wifebuddy got a recreational pass, I got a provisional (which was exactly how I was expecting us to do even before we signed up for the class)

+1. Wifebuddy and I were very much in the latter category. If anything, our experience was even more extreme on the smaller chunks+more days scale - Fundies part 1 was done over 4 non-consecutive days (pool dives on Jul 11, 12, 14, ocean dives on Jul 26).
The classes can also be taught differently depending on availability of open water and the instructor's preferences. We only used the pool for the swim tests and the no-equipment basic skills training, we did everything else in a pond or lake.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom