fundies for experienced diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wedivebc

CCR Instructor Trainer
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Myself and some other instructors are kicking around the idea of taking a dir-f in order to learn some new skills which we can incorporate in our teaching toolkits. I teach trimix for another agency so I am unlikely to be progressing too far in the GUE training ladder but just would like a taste of that dir has to offer.
My questions are:
1. is my equipment required to be DIR during training (I'll leave the rebreather at home)?

2. does this course benefit more experienced divers?

3. if a diver with 1000+ dives fails a dir-f does PADI have to be notified :D

any comments appreciated

1. Pretty much, not 100% DIR but at least trying to be rigged DIR
2. Yep
3. Geeesh don't say that word in here.....

wedivebc:
My questions are:
1. is my equipment required to be DIR during training (I'll leave the rebreather at home)?
In my course only the long hose was required, BP/W etc. was recommended.

Laurens

talk to the instructor about their minimum requirements. as an introductory course, they don't generally expect to have 100% kool-aid drinkers in the class.

One of my instructors took the class w/ about 2k dives he was also an IANTD and NAUI TEC instructor at the time. He told me it kicked his ***. Now he incorporates what he has learned in DIR-F, RB1,Cave-1, and Tech-1 into his classes and his students are better because of it. Good choice on taking the class I respect those instructors who take the extra time/effort/$$ in order to be a better instructor and not just "sit on their laurels".

wedivebc:
Myself and some other instructors are kicking around the idea of taking a dir-f in order to learn some new skills which we can incorporate in our teaching toolkits. I teach trimix for another agency so I am unlikely to be progressing too far in the GUE training ladder but just would like a taste of that dir has to offer.
My questions are:

2. does this course benefit more experienced divers?

3. if a diver with 1000+ dives fails a dir-f does PADI have to be notified :D

any comments appreciated

From what I've heard you can be prepared to go home crying with your ego pickled in a little jar under your arm.

R..

Diver0001:
From what I've heard you can be prepared to go home crying with your ego pickled in a little jar under your arm.

R..
That's why I want to do it with other instructors. We can all go home and lick our wounds and never tell a soul what happened.

wedivebc:
That's why I want to do it with other instructors. We can all go home and lick our wounds and never tell a soul what happened.
Oh, we expect a full report first thing Monday morning.

:D

Actually, it would be *fantastic* if an experienced and educated diver/instructor such as yourself would post a trip report about a fundies class. I don't think I've read reports from anyone of your stature.

boomx5:
Hey Dave,

Who are you thinking about taking the class with?

Well I originally approached Sonya Tittle about this but she became unavailable and was referred to Joe Talavera.
Our schedules didn't jive at the time (last fall) so I am open to suggestions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom