Fundies kicked my a$$

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Crush

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I took GUE Fundamentals last week. The course kicked my a$$. The classroom component was not overly difficult, but the skills required were very challenging for me - this was undoubtedly complicated by cold-to-exceedingly-cold water temperatures, having done only two cold water dives since last fall, and the need for matching drysuit undergarments. I should have done the course at Ginnie... OK, I will stop complaining... :)

I got a rec pass, but no "5s." In fact, I am not sure how many 4s I got... :) Lesson: I need more practice, and more frequent practice.

Good on you, GUE, for putting together a b@ll-busting course! It has been humbling...

Disclaimer: this course may, in fact, be easy for some. Do not allow my personal comments to deter you from taking Fundies - it is worthwhile.

There's fun in a challenge, right? Any training that safely pushes you beyond your limits is a good thing, IMO.

I never thought diving would be difficult. My first technical training dive (not through GUE) was over 100min of skills and drills over and over and over again...It was for sure an eye-opener. Before that, everything in diving came so easy to me. I never had to "work" for it, but technical dive training changes that (for most people).

Congratulations on taking the Fundies.

Agree 100% that it is a humbling experience and I learned a ton from my class.

No, you have it wrong -- it's precisely BECAUSE Fundies kicks your a$$ that people should aspire to take it! To make it plain, until you have seen what's possible, you don't know what you COULD be able to do in the water -- and how much more FUN your diving is when you can.

Did you do the class with Guy? He's a wonderful instructor.

No, you have it wrong -- it's precisely BECAUSE Fundies kicks your a$$ that people should aspire to take it! To make it plain, until you have seen what's possible, you don't know what you COULD be able to do in the water -- and how much more FUN your diving is when you can.

Did you do the class with Guy? He's a wonderful instructor.

Ray LeFrense - he was very good, patient, and clear in his communication.

Interesting. I always thought GUE Fundamentals (formerly DIR Fundamentals) was more about what you can't do in the water: can't dive without a buddy/group, can't dive below 100' without adding helium, can't dive without long hose and cannister light, can't smoke. Then again, religious fundamentalists swear they have fun at bible study, so who knows?

Interesting. I always thought GUE Fundamentals (formerly DIR Fundamentals) was more about what you can't do in the water: can't dive without a buddy/group, can't dive below 100' without adding helium, can't dive without long hose and cannister light, can't smoke. Then again, religious fundamentalists swear they have fun at bible study, so who knows?

:) I had two D-rings on each shoulder strap and had to remove one from each side - whatever you do not need for a dive is a potential failure point of creates a danger of entanglement. :shocked2: It is odd that I didn't have to remove the front crotch-strap D-ring - not being DPV-certified I can't use one and therefore do not need that ring, which might become entangled... :)

Hey, if I want to take a GUE/DIR course there is no reason that I should not have to abide by their rules. The instructor was very good-natured in responding to my (many) questions.

Edit: It was about what I can't do in the water - I can't maintain good buoyancy when I remove my mask and the water is 4C/39F; I can't do a flutter kick without rocking side-to-side, I can't reach my (single) tank valve...

strange, because it's logically evaluating those rules that are causing me to get a complete set of gue compliant gear and pursuing their training courses.
I don't believe in doing anything narced, want to be able to assist my buddy with ease and don't want to spend any time diving with people who smoke or drink.
I'll still use my side mount gear for smaller caves, and in terribly tight or silty quarters dive alone...however for more than 90 percent of my cave diving the gue paradigms make sense for me and my team. ymmv

Fundies is supposed to kick your ass ... that's how you find out what aspects of your skill set you need to work on.

Congrats on the pass ... that's more than I was able to manage my first time through the class ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Thanks, Bob, you made me feel a bit better. I bet you were gunning for a tech pass though...

Back
Top Bottom