Fundies -- my bottom line

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TSandM

Missed and loved by many.
Rest in Peace
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
My 30 day quarantine is over, and I can talk now. I've had 30 days, and a couple of dives, to think about Fundies. As far as posting a synopsis, I think Rick and I did a reasonable blow-by-blow at the time, especially considering that the actual structure of the class has been written up a number of times before. What I want to write is what the class was to me, because it was simultaneously more and less than I expected.

Most people who write the class up talk about how much they learned. When I sit down and tally it, I didn't actually LEARN that much, if learning means you really got something. I did learn the frog kick, and I got a good beginning handle on the helicopter turn, and a little of the back kick. That was truly new learning.

I would have learned a LOT about gas management, had I not learned it already from Bob. His gas management seminar that I attended was basically the gas management stuff from Fundies, so that was already familiar material, but I would never have seen any of it before otherwise. Our instructor only brushed the very surface of deco information, so we didn't get much of that, although what he presented was new and different to me.

The ideas about situational awareness and team skills were not entirely new, but the standard to which they held us was remarkable to me, and it was a troubling realization how much more I needed to perceive than I was able to do. The whole idea of diving "one for all and all for one" is one of the most appealing parts of DIR to me. I also very much liked the concept of debriefing the dive, which of course requires that one invite criticism and then be willing to listen to it, and make constructive use of it. But how else do you progress? And one of the core ideas of this class is that you WANT to progress -- that you recognize that there are levels of skill you haven't reached yet, and it's worth the effort to try to attain them.

Buoyancy . . . ah, buoyancy. Every Fundies writeup dramatizes the difficulty of maintaining one's buoyancy to GUE standards while being task-loaded. But you know what? I don't think anybody can TEACH that. I think you have to LEARN it by repeated trial and error. I mean, what can somebody tell you? Stay alert for early changes in depth; anticipate buoyancy changes and vent/add air early; and be aware of what your breathing pattern is doing to your status. But YOU have to do it, feel it, think about it, manage it. Fundies gives you an opportunity to work on it in structured drills where you are forced to recognize where you fall short -- if you didn't at the time, you will on the tape. Seeing yourself on the videotape is very useful, because sometimes your perception of how you are oriented in the water, or what you are doing, is just plain faulty or incomplete. This is a MAJOR strength of this class, and I think it should be used in more instructional settings. It's expensive and labor-intensive, but SO valuable. And entertaining, too . . .

Skills? Well, we all already knew how to flood and clear a mask, how to take a mask off and replace it, how to remove a regulator and replace it. Again, buoyancy was the challenge here. Long hose deployment was new because the long hose was new. S-drill was new, but I won't say I got it really down, nor did most of my class. My group -- the novice divers -- didn't attempt to shoot a bag or do a valve drill.

So, as I see it, what happened in Fundies was that I was presented with some information and a set of skills. I was shown how the skills should be done, and shown what the standards are for doing them satisfactorily. I did not "learn" them -- that will take time and practice.

I think I ended up in the camp of the people who think this class should be broken up into two pieces -- a workshop to present the skills and ideas, and a second evaluation session. Because I don't think someone for whom the skills are new will ever be able to master them to the required standard in four dives, or even six. And the number of people with hundreds of dives or instructor certifications who don't pass Fundies are confirmation of that to me.

It was a good and worthwhile class. It will make me a better diver (my husband does not believe this). I will eventually have learned a great deal for having taken it. But one does not go into Fundies a mediocre diver and come out on some higher plane. I could only wish, but it takes a lot more time and hard work than that.

The final question . . . was it fun? Yeah, but not like playing Frisbee or going white water rafting are fun. This was the fun of taking three days off from "real" life to concentrate on diving in the company of other people who were taking diving seriously. There was a real spirit of camaraderie and shared suffering, and I honestly had fun teasing Rick Inman and being teased in return. It was time-intensive and tiring, but left me with a good feeling of having accomplished something, and several new friends. My kind of fun.

Forgive my ignorance, but what 30 day quarantine?

Appreciate the post.

Bob (NW Grateful Diver) says all newly minted DIR-F graduates (or not) should be muzzled for 30 days to prevent excessive proselytizing. I tried to respect that :)

Hi Lynne,

Thank you for your insights. I have found many of your posts interesting and informative, this one falls into that category.

Where do you see your diving headed? GUE tech 1 and beyond? In one of your posts you mentioned going into caves? Is that still an interest? If tech stuff is the direction you are headed, how does your hubby feel about it?

Kevin

I think you reinforced the 3 best ways to become a better diver. dive, dive and dive.

Having less new information than you hoped is also a common occurance for Scuba Board Junkies. In terms of information I don't know if I learned anything in my OW lectures. Some topics I could have elaborated on at much greater length. In the pool I learned a lot of practical information and skills. I couldn't wait to get out of a drill and demonstrate mode so I could concentrate on diving instead of fiasco recovery.

I'm interpreting your writing that you didn't come out of this DIR-F certified. Do you intend to take another shot at the cert or are you happy to have extracted the learings and will now just continue gaining experience with some new tools in your toolbox?

One thing I have learned is that I never know when I will learn something new. I have found that to be one advantage of diving with many different buddies.

Pete

No, I didn't pass Fundies. I didn't expect to. I literally squeaked by with a provisional. I got that because I made a commitment to the instructor to work to bring the skills up to par. I will do my darndest to do that and pass the course within the six month reevaluation period. There's no particular reason why I have to do that, but it's not in me to leave something unfinished that way.

I have no idea where my diving is going, except I continue to want to do a lot of it. I enjoy cruising our local sites and I've been in seventh heaven reef diving in clear, tropical water. The idea of diving in caves really intrigues me, because I love caves anyway. Whether my diving skills would ever be up to it or not remains to be seen. My husband is most definitely not enthralled with the idea. But then, he wasn't enthralled with the idea of Fundies, and he just shakes his head about me getting together with fellow students and spending an hour underwater just practicing drills.

Yes, I would have been blown away more by the class had I not read essentially every class report that Google could bring up, as well as Jablonsky's book and everything on the GUE site that was pertinent. This was on top of attending Bob's seminar and starting the work on buoyancy and trim with him. Nonetheless, I really want to reiterate that this was a GOOD class, a good platform from which to continue to improve in ways I want to improve, and well worth the money and time in my opinion. Talk to my husband or my LDS, you'll hear something else :)

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts from a slightly different perspective. As the hour draws near for me to take DIRF myself, I find my thoughts turning not to diving, but to the other pieces of DIR diving. The fitness, the swimming, the "other". I am not worried about passing the class. I won't and I likely won't get a provisional either. I am going to the class to try and absorb some skills, to try to learn more about GUE, and to continue down the path to the type of diving I am seeking to do.

There are so many little pieces of diving that I want to get right. Basic skills that have thwarted me. The video review is something I am looking forward to. I carry no ego into the class. I know I have many years and hundreds of dives to go before I will likely feel comfortable calling myself "a diver".

I remember going through my audit of Adv. Nitrox and how task loaded I felt with the doubles, stage bottle, new computer, new buddy, new instructor, new dive site, etc. I imagine Fundies will build on that, and I will have to learn to operate with a fairly high degree of awareness. I make a large effort to do this now, and I am aware of when it's lacking in my diving. I'll see how much I can tame it before class starts.

I do envy those of you who dive in drysuits from the beginning. it's a bitter pill to swallow when you live in Florida, but still have to shell out $1500-$2500 for a darn drysuit. :(

Thanks for sharing your story and I think I'll take your path of 30 days silence after the course as well.

TSandM:
I will do my darndest to do that and pass the course within the six month reevaluation period.
I'm sure you'll pass it. Last weekend I was a guest during DIR-F (as a refreshment before Tech-1) and I had the opportunity to watch difference between first timers and a couple that attended course for reevaluation. After three months of practicing they were able to reach the DIR-F bar (double tanks) for every skill, smooth helicopter turns, very good back kick, etc.

Thanks for your report! I suppose I'm in my 30 day period now...But I will tell you that what you have written in the past was a major factor in my decision to go ahead with DIR-F.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom