Fusion Pockets, P-valve: My Custom Changes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Great job Rick!! You should have no issues with that velcro...but I bet getting up the nerve to scuff up that inner bladder took a bit :wink: sandpaper and drysuit...LOL

No kidding. VERY light rub with very fine grit.

Hey Phil. The lycra doesn't fray. I made the hole smaller than the diameter of the P valve so the material stretches around it. The hole has been there since before my first dive and there is zero spreading or fraying. So, the inside diameter of the velcro ring I glued on is slightly larger than the hole in the lycra, so now it can't spread past the velcro ring anyway.

It's hard to describe, and the only way I can take a picture is to remove the outer layer because the velcro is between the two layers and not visible from the outside.

Thanks, so did you cut the hole with an exacto knife, or do you think that it really matters? I am more nervous about putting a hole in that than I am the core :confused:. I am going to have to find someone that has the DR Valve in stock? What kind of valve are you using?

Thanks again
Phil

Thanks, so did you cut the hole with an exacto knife, or do you think that it really matters?
Nope, I just jammed the tip of my scissors through it to start the hole, then cut a ragged uneven circle. But when it's stretched around the valve all the imperfections disappear as it snugs up around the P valve.

Was your P-Valve factory installed?
Nope. I've had this one for a few years now. It's an OMS. I forgot what it's made of, but it's not the heavy steel one. Switching it to the new DS gave me an excuse to give it a nice bath in the ultrasonic cleaner, too. Although the hole I cut in the outer skin is imperfect, I use an actual punch to make a perfect hole in the dry core.
x-p.jpg

Perhaps a picture on your dry suit would be appropriate! :D
Well, bad picture just taken with my phone. I don't know if this shows anything at all... But you can see that I cut the hole only in the lycra area, not the neoprene.

P_Valve.jpg

Thanks, so did you cut the hole with an exacto knife, or do you think that it really matters? I am more nervous about putting a hole in that than I am the core :confused:. I am going to have to find someone that has the DR Valve in stock? What kind of valve are you using?
Phil,

I'm using the exact same P-valve as Rick (except I have the heavier steel version).

The part that goes through the fabric is the same diameter as a .45 round. I just put a block of soft wood inside my suit, positioned a brass .45 casing on outside of the fabric where I wanted the hole, and hit it with a hammer. Viola! Perfectly round hole in suit in exactly the correct diameter.

If it's stupid, but it works, then it isn't stupid. :wink:

Best with the P-valve installation,

Doc

The part that goes through the fabric is the same diameter as a .45 round.
Don't you mean the part that goes through the dry core?

That's it? I just picked up the "Chairman" size of the Fusion Dry Suit from White's at DEMA. I just got home and am ready to go try it. I have to admit that I pee more than the average person, so I want to figure out options.

Don't you mean the part that goes through the dry core?
My suit doesn't have a dry core, but yes - "the part of the P-valve that goes through the suit is the same diameter as a .45" :D

(or used to be - I am old. I installed my P-vavle in 2002. They have have changed the diameter of the internal part in the P-valve - but I kinda doubt it...!)

Unless they've changed it, a .45 brass casing makes an acceptable cheap-ass punch!

:wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom