Fusion tech Vs. DUI? With big weight swings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I somewhat understand the "Hot" in the Fushion. Every person I see gearing up in one is breaking a major sweat by the time they are actually zippered up and ready. The reason for this is that it is a bag suit and you don't just glide in like a Trilaminate. Because of this, you also have to take your time and make sure that you are getting everything (undergarments, socks etc) in to place, otherwise if something is off you feel it in the water which adds to discomfort. There are plenty of threads about this, but the bubble in a drysuit is a good thing and actually helps with trim. The Fushion is a bag suit so it does compress more around you where you don't feel the bubble (not as much gas) thus it is like wetsuit diving (thus their sales pitch). I actually have at least 50 dives in one and while I was able to be in trim and have control with my doubles, I found that I had to work harder at it. I have had a bunch of my tec students start their class in that suit but after trying a Trilam, switch and sell their suit. To me there is a noticeable difference between the two. Go with a trilam. Be careful and make sure the exhaust valve is in the right spot (side of bicep, not the top)

With that weight swing you are going to have to get sized for the heavier weight. Once you understand diving in a drysuit, you will be able to handle the suit when it is bigger on you with no problem. People who know me can attest to this, but I dive dry everywhere I go. So my main diving is in the NE and I dive all year long, so heavier undergarments. When I use my suit in the Caribbean I just have a wicking layer, so yes my suit is big on me, but i have no problem diving it.

There is a learning curve with the Fusion and this is where a lot of the frustration comes in. The suits get sold without properly explaining/showing how to don/dof the suits. The only person IMO to have put effort into this is Mike from DRIS. If you dont understand the dynamics of the suit you will most likely hate it. Once you have an understanding of the Fusion "basics" you will most likely LOVE this suit.

Those familiar with the suit dynamics will don it as quick as any other diver donning a trilam DS. This said, my suit does not have the boots fitted, I use neoprene boots making things dramatically easier. My cave partner have boots and this makes donning/doffing the suit definitely harder/longer.

The lack of air (bubble) in any DS will cause pinching/squeezes and the Fusion is no different. However the Fusion will most likely hold 3X more air (bubble) than trilam suits because of the design, not that you will even need it. The reference to "dives like a wetsuit" is related to reduce drag compared other DS (outer compression skin). The suit will "compress" the bubble but also evenly distribute the bubble throughout the suit making trim and bubble management a lot easier than with other DS.

The Fusion is not for everyone. Those with exceptionally broad shoulders, or very tall but skinny, or very short but stocky will have trouble finding a Fusion that fits properly.

The Fusion is a brilliant DS but it is not perfect, neither is any other suit. The pros severely out weight the cons at least for me. Hope this helps.

There is a learning curve with the Fusion and this is where a lot of the frustration comes in. The suits get sold without properly explaining/showing how to don/dof the suits. The only person IMO to have put effort into this is Mike from DRIS. If you dont understand the dynamics of the suit you will most likely hate it. Once you have an understanding of the Fusion "basics" you will most likely LOVE this suit.

Those familiar with the suit dynamics will don it as quick as any other diver donning a trilam DS. This said, my suit does not have the boots fitted, I use neoprene boots making things dramatically easier. My cave partner have boots and this makes donning/doffing the suit definitely harder/longer.

The lack of air (bubble) in any DS will cause pinching/squeezes and the Fusion is no different. However the Fusion will most likely hold 3X more air (bubble) than trilam suits because of the design, not that you will even need it. The reference to "dives like a wetsuit" is related to reduce drag compared other DS (outer compression skin). The suit will "compress" the bubble but also evenly distribute the bubble throughout the suit making trim and bubble management a lot easier than with other DS.

The Fusion is not for everyone. Those with exceptionally broad shoulders, or very tall but skinny, or very short but stocky will have trouble finding a Fusion that fits properly.

The Fusion is a brilliant DS but it is not perfect, neither is any other suit. The pros severely out weight the cons at least for me. Hope this helps.
hmmm that is concerning about the fit you state near the end "very short and stocky". Not sure if you mean my body type but I do have broadish shoulders, not crazy but definitely above average and I am short and stocky. I am 5'8.5 and currently weigh 210 which is the heaviest I ever weigh. This yields a 38in waist (I store almost all my fat in my mid section gut and love handles). I had thought the large/xl would work, but from what you are stating maybe I need to go custom fitted trilam at my fattest and just deal with the extra poof when I slim down...

First fit one before you do anything. Those are my views/perspective. I am 5'8 and 176 lbs (15%body fat, apparently 10lb more makes me overweight) and there is plenty space left. I also use a lot of thermals in L/XL suit. The suits have massive space around the gut erea by the way.

First fit one before you do anything. Those are my views/perspective. I am 5'8 and 176 lbs (15%body fat, apparently 10lb more makes me overweight) and there is plenty space left. I also use a lot of thermals in L/XL suit. The suits have massive space around the gut erea by the way.
I will fit one first but before having my local dive shop order one in I wanted to see what everyone's thoughts were. So for 5'8 do you find the L/XL ok in length? FYI my feet are 10.5, how do you think that will fit as well? Secondly, as stated, I do carry most my weight in my waist so do you think my gut (even with layers) would be ok? I do where a fairly heavy undergarment when doing dives in the 40F range. My waist belt measure is a 38 but if you measure over my gut and love handles I am 46inches in circumference...

don't buy a fusion you will look like a clown.
if you plan on gaining 25 pounds every year buy one that fits the fatter version of yourself. easy

don't buy a fusion you will look like a clown.
if you plan on gaining 25 pounds every year buy one that fits the fatter version of yourself. easy
I don't really care what I look like as long as function is good. I am not sure why so many people care what they look like when diving...shouldn't it be what works the best is most important? Now if functionally the FUSIONS are not great then I understand but it would seem they are great for the purpose of making a diver nice and streamlined...

functionally they're dumb too. you have two suits to put on and from what i understand the pockets sag when you load them up with stuff.

my answer is the same. get a shell suit that fits you.

Functionally they're brilliant! Easy bubble management, streamlined, easy to modify.

Challenges are learning how to don and doff, and the pockets somewhat. Both can be worked around.

I can't compare to trilam as I have only dived composed neoprene besides the fusion.

I wear a L/XL and I am 5'11" and 210-212lbs, with 34" waist and rather broad shoulders. My bullet fits me and there is easily room in the "waist" area. I wear 9.5-10 in a shoe/boot and the built in socks are a bit big so I would say mine would fit a 10-11 shoe/boot easily with thick socks.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom