Future aka New Normal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am one those people. My wife and I just got back from Key Largo Florida. We followed local laws about face coverings and allowing business employees to shoot us with an IR gun. We washed, sanitized, and maintained a 6 foot (2 m) physical distance from others (except on the dive boat). We all wore our face coverings on the dive boat; which was almost full everyday.

I would travel abroad, including Indonesia, if I did not fear getting stuck in a foreign country with crappy health care. The calculated IFR of around .04 for heathy and fit people under 60 is good enough reason for me. People who don't have a comorbidity or are not beyond fat, are not at much risk for death or acute symptoms.

I am contemplating a trip to one of the Carolinas to dive WW2 wrecks.

I hope I am not the anomaly; but I am willing to take that risk. I hope I already have immunity. If I get any communicable disease, I will isolate, no matter where I am.

Life is a gamble. I am lucky to be alive. I am lucky to be 60 y.o. I have always done things that have a small amount of risk (even death) associated with the activity. Including work and diving. Why would I shutter myself in a house and wait for a vaccine that may never come. My comorbid family members and friends are seeing me through glass or electronically. Exercise, eat well, and stay outdoors as much as possible.

The U.S. is being hit with another wave (3rd or 4th by my figures). Countries that have successfully locked down and avoided SARS-Cov-2, will be hit with it later.

Pay mother nature now or pay her later. I hope the medical systems around the world can handle the ongoing waves. It aint over.

Hear, hear, and cheers,
m

I've also done death defying feats up to and including almost dying in ICU with ARDS. Total recovery was long and I was still youngish at the time.

I don't intend to spend the rest of my days waiting in the house but I'm willing to give things a bit longer to see what's what. I'm in no hurry to end up back in the hospital.

Mark, you owe it to yourself to do more research on what "recovery" actually means when it comes to Covid. You may also want to consider that even if you have an "easy" time of it, your diving days could be over for good.

Yes, I'm tempted to go to Cozumel myself though my heart and soul long for Indo. But I can wait a bit longer just to see . . .who knows, maybe there'll be a miracle. :p

New swine flu with pandemic potential identified by China researchers

Today's News

@Indah should we shut down the world again for this?

Covid-19, a lot of people asymptomatic with no symptoms, but with a swine flu, everyone feels the effects

Oh ffs

Those poor pigs and ferrets.

And of course, it will be transmissible from human to human. Ridiculous not to think so especially after having initially being told that novel coronavirus wasn't.
:rolleyes:

I've also done death defying feats up to and including almost dying in ICU with ARDS. Total recovery was long and I was still youngish at the time.

Hi chilly,

Yeah, you took my statement out of context. I am not willing to be a guinea pig and ask to be infected with anything. That's not the type of risk I am writing about. Scuba diving is a risk, a risk of death occurs every time you dive. Just ask your countrymen from Shearwater Research. Their user's manuals clearly state such.

You and I have communicated privately, and I understand your situation. I would make a similar, but different decision if I were you. I feel for your situation.

Mark, you owe it to yourself to do more research on what "recovery" actually means when it comes to Covid. You may also want to consider that even if you have an "easy" time of it, your diving days could be over for good.

I don't need to do more research. I have already. An acute/chronic case of 19 can even cause death. Especially if you are intubated and the internist cranks-up the ventilator to full power. 19 causes your lungs to stiffen and lose resiliency, I have read. Cytokine storm will cause permanent lung damage and even death. This virus is deadly.

Why do you assume that all cases of 19 are chronic/acute with lifelong resultant infirmities?

By "researching" I have found that I will (or have) come in contact with SARS-Cov-2. So will you. Please, get outdoors, exercise hard, and eat well.

Yes, I'm tempted to go to Cozumel myself though my heart and soul long for Indo. But I can wait a bit longer just to see . . .who knows, maybe there'll be a miracle. :p

Hopefully, I will meet you in person on a dive boat someday, and Indo would be a cool place to dive. Miracles do happen! Keep the faith.

cheers,
m

Hi chilly,

Yeah, you took my statement out of context. I am not willing to be a guinea pig and ask to be infected with anything. That's not the type of risk I am writing about. Scuba diving is a risk, a risk of death occurs every time you dive. Just ask your countrymen from Shearwater Research. Their user's manuals clearly state such.

You and I have communicated privately, and I understand your situation. I would make a similar, but different decision if I were you. I feel for your situation.

I don't need to do more research. I have already. An acute/chronic case of 19 can even cause death. Especially if you are intubated and the internist cranks-up the ventilator to full power. 19 causes your lungs to stiffen and lose resiliency, I have read. Cytokine storm will cause permanent lung damage and even death. This virus is deadly.

Why do you assume that all cases of 19 are chronic/acute with lifelong resultant infirmities?

By "researching" I have found that I will (or have) come in contact with SARS-Cov-2. So will you. Please, get outdoors, exercise hard, and eat well.

Hopefully, I will meet you in person on a dive boat someday, and Indo would be a cool place to dive. Miracles do happen! Keep the faith.

cheers,
m

Because I've done my research, that's why I believe that very few are coming out unscathed.

Because I've done my research, that's why I believe that very few are coming out unscathed.

I respect your opinion and your right to express it.

My research indicates that most people have minor to moderate symptoms with no long term problems. I feel that I may have had 19 (I am too cheap to pay $75 for an antibody test). My coworkers had the same disease. The doctors could not figure out what we had (February 2020). All of us had respiratory symptoms for 3 months. We have all completely recovered. Were we infected with SARS-Cov-2? Don't know. The symptoms were eerily similar.

Our meeting on a dive boat in Indo may be long in coming, as you are more risk averse than I. We have the same fears, just different degrees of fear.

Your decision is best for you.

cheers,
m²V2

I respect your opinion and your right to express it.

My research indicates that most people have minor to moderate symptoms with no long term problems. I feel that I may have had 19 (I am too cheap to pay $75 for an antibody test). My coworkers had the same disease. The doctors could not figure out what we had (February 2020). All of us had respiratory symptoms for 3 months. We have all completely recovered. Were we infected with SARS-Cov-2? Don't know. The symptoms were eerily similar.

Our meeting on a dive boat in Indo may be long in coming, as you are more risk averse than I. We have the same fears, just different degrees of fear.

Your decision is best for you.

cheers,
m²V2

:) My greater fear is being hospitalized in Indo.

Lol

Oh ffs

Those poor pigs and ferrets.

And of course, it will be transmissible from human to human. Ridiculous not to think so especially after having initially being told that novel coronavirus wasn't.
:rolleyes:

So if it's as serious or as deadly as covid-19, should we shut the world down again?

Or should we use some common sense this time around like wearing effective, suitable masks & locking down those in the extreme high risk groups instead of healthy people. And not use fear inducing rhetoric, so as to give people some positive hope if they find themselves infected

So if it's as serious or as deadly as covid-19, should we shut the world down again?

Or should we use some common sense this time around like wearing effective, suitable masks & locking down those in the extreme high risk groups instead of healthy people. And not use fear inducing rhetoric, so as to give people some positive hope if they find themselves infected

You don't seem to remember why things were locked down.

:) My greater fear is being hospitalized in Indo.

Lol

Or in a county hospital in southern New York state and many other places including Indo. I pay dearly for a GREAT health care plan. I love my pre-retirement job because of it (and for many other reasons). The individual healthcare workers are mostly excellent around the world, the systems may be broken.

We totally agree on that point! No variances by degree with that topic.

cheers,
m²V2

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom